Any rumors of PUBNAT 8?

Also, Robert and Bip, have you read the inspector general's evaluation of ATC training from a few months ago? They basically recommended exactly what you're saying right now. Of course, in their response, the ATO got defensive and said that they're doing fine as they are, thank you very much.

Well hell Ross now I have to figure out of the 3 states im interested in which two have the best shot....

hmmm OH or CO or LA...... maybe I should just do any mini miny moe..... lol

LOL! I was a newbie in this game called "Hire an potential ATC!" I applied to one posting and thought I either get in or I don't and that was that...only to realize how it all worked later.

Gotcha. Oh well, good luck to ya!

just got an email today for geo prefs as well..

I completely forgot about this whole process because I only scored an 81 on the ATSAT. I thought they were only moving the WQ's forward.

Any thoughts as to this?

Everyone who passes the AT-SAT gets a preferences e-mail.

Now, that said, with an 81, I would not get your hopes up. There were very few people who got picked up with a qualified score in PUBNAT 1 by putting down states that were decidedly at the bottom of the popularity list. Others tried it on later PUBNATs with little to no success that I am aware of. I have no idea if it had something to do with there just being so few candidates in PUBNAT 1, or if they changed some internal policy about placing people purely on scores, rather than on how many applicants chose a particular state.

Barty, I just put down TN for my number 1. Have you heard any trickle down info about ots slots in Memphis?

Barty, I just put down TN for my number 1. Have you heard any trickle down info about ots slots in Memphis?

No, that info really doesn't make it down to the center as far as I know. How many that are hired for OTS vs. VRA/CTI is probably solely at the discretion of the panels.

Everyone who passes the AT-SAT gets a preferences e-mail.

Now, that said, with an 81, I would not get your hopes up. There were very few people who got picked up with a qualified score in PUBNAT 1 by putting down states that were decidedly at the bottom of the popularity list. Others tried it on later PUBNATs with little to no success that I am aware of. I have no idea if it had something to do with there just being so few candidates in PUBNAT 1, or if they changed some internal policy about placing people purely on scores, rather than on how many applicants chose a particular state.

I know an 81 is not a stellar score. But shouldn't they take into account that some people may have tested badly, or had an off day during the ATSAT when they took it. One test shouldn't be the end all be all for determining an applicant's ability to manage traffic. Plus it's not like you could study for the test save for the online simultation games they have out there. I wouldn't judge a person based off of one test.:(

I know an 81 is not a stellar score. But shouldn't they take into account that some people may have tested badly, or had an off day during the ATSAT when they took it.

Unfortunately, the answer is no. There are so many WQ scores, they very rarely have to use the Q scores.

I know an 81 is not a stellar score. But shouldn't they take into account that some people may have tested badly, or had an off day during the ATSAT when they took it. One test shouldn't be the end all be all for determining an applicant's ability to manage traffic. Plus it's not like you could study for the test save for the online simultation games they have out there. I wouldn't judge a person based off of one test.:(

Someone may've had an off day, but there's no shortage of WQ scores -- so they really have no reason to dip into the Q's. Sorry. I know it's depressing news.

And there are many study resources available other than the simulation games, including two study guides written by yours truly. Books, a couple of websites... it's all out there.

I know it may sound lame, but I spent a good 3 months studying for the test since I had nothing better to do. It paid off and I got a 100. I now have a job that I absolutely hate, so I'm hoping to win the atc lottery.

Once your in Oklahoma... it boils down to one test (PV). If you fail you get a second chance. You fail again and your without a job. Once you get to the facility... (center atleast) your given minimum and maximum hours to certify between. You can fail as many checkrides as you want as long as you don't go over max hours.

Point of this is the Gov't is willing to spend more time on you as they invest in you ;)

Also, Robert and Bip, have you read the inspector general's evaluation of ATC training from a few months ago? They basically recommended exactly what you're saying right now. Of course, in their response, the ATO got defensive and said that they're doing fine as they are, thank you very much.

I am sure they did say what we are saying. If the FAA actually cared about the quality of controllers, they would wash people out at the FAA Academy regardless of their race, religion, sex, etc. and only allow the best of the best to pass and attempt to go on to their facilities. Heck, busy places like A80, put guys they don't think are going to make it on final approach first to see if they sink or swim so they don't spend longer than needed with these trainees the FAA keeps shoving down their throat and makes them take. Their thinking is if you can't run 2.5 miles on final, then we don't want to waste time with you for the next few years and then wash you out on final...

The FAA needs to get away from this political correctness crap and make the trainees coming through the FAA Academy actually earn the privilege of going to facilities, not give them that "right" to go somewhere and attempt to check out. Well atleast from going to the academy, I know what facilities to never fly in and out of judging by the people who passed the FAA Academy...

The ATSAT is a joke because they have curved it over the years... If you score low on the ATSAT, the FAA shouldn't even waste their time...

If the FAA actually cared about the quality of controllers, they would wash people out at the FAA Academy regardless of their race, religion, sex, etc. and only allow the best of the best to pass and attempt to go on to their facilities.

Lies! Clearly black Eskimo Jewish women veterans make superior trainees. If only they weren't up against the prejudice of the AT-SAT, which was clearly created to favor one particular group.

Lies! Clearly black Eskimo Jewish women veterans make superior trainees. If only they weren't up against the prejudice of the AT-SAT, which was clearly created to favor one particular group.

LOL you're killing me smalls... You can never curve it enough to make everyone happy and qualified...

The OTS hires are a MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN CTIs and prior military controllers on the whole. There is no cockiness with OTS hires because they don't have the mentality of "I was an AF controller for four years and worked a 130 op hour..." or "I graduated from Embry Riddle and know all the basics and everything about ATC so I don't need to study, just let me work it and you just sit there because I need to get checked out to pay back my $100,000+ I owe..."

word. Not saying I know anything at all, but I think more emphasis should be placed on hiring pilots. Not that pilots necessarily make good controllers, but I think it gives people a better background as to what they are getting into. I can always tell when I am dealing with controller who is a pilot vs one that isnt. Talking to friends who are controllers, they say that the ones who are pilots and actually have a slight understanding of what the aircraft are doing from the pilots perspective make better controllers

Back