A little help for a new guy

KT430

I have some questions on the whole applicaion process. My Brother-in-law has turned me onto this profession, and have been doing some research on it for a few months now, and still have not been able to find a solid answer, and I was hoping you guys could help me.

I would like to know how someone with no prior experience in the Avation field gets his start. I would like to know when the proper time to apply for a position is, and then what happens after that. Any help you guys/gals can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have some questions on the whole applicaion process. My Brother-in-law has turned me onto this profession, and have been doing some research on it for a few months now, and still have not been able to find a solid answer, and I was hoping you guys could help me.

I would like to know how someone with no prior experience in the Avation field gets his start. I would like to know when the proper time to apply for a position is, and then what happens after that. Any help you guys/gals can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

You have to wait for a PUBNAT application to open up. You can go to the FAA website, and click on the link for jobs and go from there. The last one was in December, and many seem to believe the next one will be opening up in the near future, though no one knows for sure. After you apply, you wait. A lot. They'll eventually e-mail you with your authorization to take the AT-SAT and you'll have to call a number to set that up. Then, you take the test, and more waiting.

To give you an Idea

Applied in May... Tested in July...Interviewed in November....Going to OKC for training????

Thanks for the quick response, I also have heard that this career is a very stressful one, have you heard that as well? It does seem like an awesome career, I have really liked what I have heard so far.

How long is the OKC training? Married with one kid..

yes 9-12wks, maybe a bit longer or shorter depending on your facility.

the hardest part of everything is the 9-18 month application process TO GET TO training..

I started applying in june of last year. i'm still just now getting to the PEPC.. same with a lot of people on this forum.

and since this is all new to you here's the breakdown.

-Wait for FAA announcement (PubNat) to come out
-FAA ASAP Application for OTS candidacy (i.e. filling out PubNat 1, 2009)
-Notification of ATSAT Authorization (when/where you take the test)
-AT-SAT (Air-Traffic Standardized Aptitude Test)
-AT-SAT results
-PEPC (Pre Employment Processing Center) invitation
-PEPC day!
-TOL (Tentative Offer Letter) sometimes given @ end of PEPC, sometimes within a few weeks after.
-FOL (Final/Firm Offer Letter) (which usually includes your OKC start date)
-OKC START DATE!!

between each of these steps be prepared to wait anywhere between 2 weeks to 3 months, or.. 2 weeks to receive your AT-SAT score and then you can count on every other step in this list to take 1.5-3 months on average.

Keep asking the questions my friend that's the only way some of us made it through. And don't let anyone give you flak for "not using the search button"... just ask and one of us nice guys will stand by with answers for you.

yes 9-12wks, maybe a bit longer or shorter depending on your facility.

the hardest part of everything is the 9-18 month application process TO GET TO training..

I started applying in june of last year. i'm still just now getting to the PEPC.. same with a lot of people on this forum.

and since this is all new to you here's the breakdown.

-Wait for FAA announcement (PubNat) to come out
-FAA ASAP Application for OTS candidacy (i.e. filling out PubNat 1, 2009)
-Notification of ATSAT Authorization (when/where you take the test)
-AT-SAT (Air-Traffic Standardized Aptitude Test)
-AT-SAT results
-PEPC (Pre Employment Processing Center) invitation
-PEPC day!
-TOL (Tentative Offer Letter) sometimes given @ end of PEPC, sometimes within a few weeks after.
-FOL (Final/Firm Offer Letter) (which usually includes your OKC start date)
-OKC START DATE!!

between each of these steps be prepared to wait anywhere between 2 weeks to 3 months, or.. 2 weeks to receive your AT-SAT score and then you can count on every other step in this list to take 1.5-3 months on average.

Keep asking the questions my friend that's the only way some of us made it through. And don't let anyone give you flak for "not using the search button"... just ask and one of us nice guys will stand by with answers for you.

:panic: Capt. Obvious to the rescue!!!! hehe....Raydon is my hero!

haha.. talk about twisting my words around.

I don't know if it's the scotch or your raw talent as a comedian that's making me chuckle right now..:sarcasm::buck::sarcasm:

HA HA, I get it, the search button. I did try that but did not get the answers that I was looking for. You guys have been a great help, but I still have a few more questions.

When you finaly get that offer, do they tell you where you are going or do or can you list where you would like to go, and they will put you there, if there is room? How much does the training at OKC cost?

HA HA, I get it, the search button. I did try that but did not get the answers that I was looking for. You guys have been a great help, but I still have a few more questions.

When you finaly get that offer, do they tell you where you are going or do or can you list where you would like to go, and they will put you there, if there is room? How much does the training at OKC cost?

When you submit your geoprefs, you pick a couple states and can add comments. People use that to specify their top facilities as well. You wait some more and get an email if you were selected, which will tell you which facility you were selected for.
Training is free. You get paid like $10/hour while at OKC - 3 or 4 months. Plus about $80 a day for expenses.

That doesn't sound so bad, a hit in pay, but I think it would be better in for the long term. Also to apply for a position I need to wait for an announcement for "PUBNAT", will i find this "code" under the Announcement number?

Sorry there are so many questions, but this is a big deal.

it means it's not a PUBNAT

what you're looking for is something that says like..

FAA ASAP said:
AAC-AMH-09-PUBNAT7-11589

only the number will change at the end of "PUBNAT" and I think it's getting reset to 1 for the next announcement..

so that means you're looking for something that says..

XXX-XXX-XX-PUBNAT1-XXXXX

There is a lot of speculation about when the next announcement is coming out and no one really knows, it's been just over 2 months since PubNat7 came out(12/16/08).. so we're overdue as far as normal timing for these announcements goes.

Are you guys ATCs now, or are many of you just training right now? If you are a controller, do you like it?

Is the best place to look for this announcement, on this website?

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsearch.asp

Yeah, what's good about that site is that you can setup a "job search agent" that will shoot you an email when an annoucement opens up that contains key words that you specify.
I setup a job search agent that would alert me for any annoucements for air traffic control with the keyword "trainee". Usajobs.gov automatically sent me email the same day pubnat7 came out.

Are you guys ATCs now, or are many of you just training right now? If you are a controller, do you like it?

No, we're only a couple decks up on the same boat at you. To put it in perspective; even though there have been 7 application periods (not including some people who got in before Pubnats were created) they have only just starting to clear PUBNAT2 (2!) applicants for training. Many of these applicants are on hold for training until their facilities can afford them.

That's right...we're only two in and the system has already fallen apart.

Soooooooo...good luck to you.

Back