A little help for a new guy

Ha, thanks for the crazy it takes that long, but I would think for a job like this, it may be expected. I'm 28 now so I know I don't have alot of time, so hopefuly they post something new, so I can wait. :confused:

Is the best place to look for this announcement, on this website?

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/jobsearch.asp

that's one place to go.. that auto-email feature is awesome.

but if you troll through these forums like JC and StuckMic.com on a daily basis like myself usually you'll see the new thread for the announcement pop up and everyone will be screaming "IT'S OUT! IT'S OUT!"

in which case I log onto https://jobs02.faa.gov/asap/ and fill in the application directly with the FAA.

I have been listening to the transmissions via http://www.liveatc.net/
Its really amazing how they can understand whats happening. I have been listening to it everyday for about 2 months now, and have really enjoyed listening to it, and I was hoping to learn something from it.

something that helps give you a good perspective on how it's working is to take a few flight lessons or get a job fueling at a small airport.

when I was a fueler @ KCCR our fuel trucks had to cross the runways to get to a couple different areas of the airfield so I got lots of 1 on 1 time with Ground and the vernacular and SOP i picked up because of it helped with my lessons and general operations knowledge to boot.

My wife is a flight attendant, and my brother-in-law is a controller, so those are the only contacts I have now, but I'm looking for a good start. Are there any programs, simulators, that would give someone an idea what its like?

My wife is a flight attendant, and my brother-in-law is a controller, so those are the only contacts I have now, but I'm looking for a good start. Are there any programs, simulators, that would give someone an idea what its like?

Programs... ATC Simulator 2 is supposed to be the most realistic program out there. I've also seen Tower Simulator, which didn't work as hot. Flight Simulator X also has an ATC component that you can use to interact with other sim pilots... and VATSIM (check Google) is a pretty active community of people who do just that.

Simulators... just at the training places. There are actually a few where you can sign up, take about a year of classes, and get a Certified Tower Operator certificate. Of course, you still need to meet other requirements to actually get hired as a controller after that, and it'll run you somewhere in the realm of $40,000. But if you're curious... http://www.link.com/ATC/index.html

First off, ATLTracon is just bitter, he works the busiest facility in the country (or at least one of the busiest), only to have upper managment deficate on him because he gave up his seniority because he tried to get into managment only to find it is politics. Enough of the biography.

Secondly, and most importantly, remember this is the gov't we are talking about, timelines and logic don't work. I applied in Feb 09, I'm now at my facility don't the Flight Data tests, I am one of 5 developmentals there, and there are only 5 CPC (Certified Professional Controllers) there, and we are getting, at least i have been told, a 6th developmental in three months, aka she is at the academy right now.

First off, ATLTracon is just bitter, he works the busiest facility in the country (or at least one of the busiest), only to have upper managment deficate on him because he gave up his seniority because he tried to get into managment only to find it is politics. Enough of the biography.

Secondly, and most importantly, remember this is the gov't we are talking about, timelines and logic don't work. I applied in Feb 09, I'm now at my facility don't the Flight Data tests, I am one of 5 developmentals there, and there are only 5 CPC (Certified Professional Controllers) there, and we are getting, at least i have been told, a 6th developmental in three months, aka she is at the academy right now.

Love to know when I tried to get into manglement. Never happened and NEVER will....EVER!!! Seniority is 4/30/85.

So most of you enjoy this profession, I do understand there will be some that see it as a pain, but that is expected with every job. I do hear however that it is a pretty stressful job. Is there any truth to this? I know it must be, but is it to the point where it sends you home pissed off after your shift?

So most of you enjoy this profession, I do understand there will be some that see it as a pain, but that is expected with every job. I do hear however that it is a pretty stressful job. Is there any truth to this? I know it must be, but is it to the point where it sends you home pissed off after your shift?

Stress is what you make of it. Different facilities will cause more or less stress. Some factors are workload, weather conditions, how you are treated on a daily basis, is your instructor fair or not, outside conditions affecting your mindset, how long you have been at your facility (as you get more comfortable and more seasoned you will inevitably become less stressed as you become a better controller) etc. The job is a fantastic job and right now is a great opportunity for thousands to enter and see the changes that are coming.
AirSanta.jpg

I told you guys I would have alot of questions.

How hard is this pre-employment test?

That depends on who you are, how you test, and what you're good at. Some people study a lot and others (like me) barely look at the book. It consists of some basic math problems in word form, reading gauges and dials, analogies, estimating angles, and three "skills" tests. Hard to explain, but one cnonsists of putting colored letters into the corresponding color box. Another is a sort of air traffic scenario test, sort of like a video game. And the last is a scan test where you have to look at a bunch of data dots floating around the screen and eliminate ones on a certain range that changes from time to time.

All in all, I wouldn't say it was too hard, but that's just me. Some people find it very stress inducing and that doesn't help performance.

The test does not sound to hard; I'm not super strong in math, but generally don't have a problem with it.

Why is it that they would post these announcements randomly, is it because some currnet controllers are retiring?

The test does not sound to hard; I'm not super strong in math, but generally don't have a problem with it.

Why is it that they would post these announcements randomly, is it because some currnet controllers are retiring?

what do you mean by randomly? like.. the occurrence of new announcements from the FAA?

I think right now It's kindof random because of the new year/hiring trends.

the last year or two were probably the fastest two of hiring because they didn't have applicants stacked up waiting to go to the academy or any other phase of the process. now that the hiring phases are getting filled up they can slow it down.

If it were truly clocked and timed correctly - we should only see one new announcement every 3 months considering that's about the time it takes to get through OKC.

Back