Considering joining the profession for good, could use advice

Work at 0700, off at 1800, then drinks with the execs to say in their good graces to be ‘top of mind’ to not only keep his job, but be available for the next higher position and constantly compete with his colleagues, usually home around 2200, snack/study/clean/pay bills/bed, up at 0500 to be at work at 0700, rinse, repeat. Holidays didn’t exist, weekends were pure exhaustion and missed with work social functions, then it started all over again.
Those are rookie numbers!

Yeah, the larger ones tend to pay more though. I did freelance software development for about 10 years, the money can be good, but I spent as much time selling projects as I did actually working on them.

I had fun chasing small niche projects, mostly misplaced languages.

That doesn't really exist, that I've seen anyway. The corporate world is more concerned with meeting performance targets monthly, quarterly, annually. The performance isn't just or even how much money you bring in, but also how many calls and meetings you have per week, how many were discussing a particular product, strategy and roadmaps, writing speaking points for executives, how many TPS reports you filed, etc.

Aaaargh! Salesforce metrics!!!

<eyetwitch>

I need a shot of Atavan now…

I may have told you this before, and I know I have mentioned this other places, but someone asked me what the best part of this job is.

I thought about it for a second, and I said, “I don’t go to meetings anymore. Ever.”

I thought about it for a second, and I said, “I don’t go to meetings anymore. Ever.”

No 6 hour "Fireside chats" on Teams to hear about how you should you should better manage your time? No more looking at an Outlook calendar choosing which of the 6 mandatory meetings you are scheduled for simultaneously to actually attend? No managers passive-aggressively asking why you aren't on video, while you are driving to a customer you call on? How about daily stand ups where you hear from 8 people you've never met, all reporting progress on things you have nothing to do with? You must miss at least some of it?

Aaaargh! Salesforce metrics!!!

<eyetwitch>

I need a shot of Atavan now…

I may have told you this before, and I know I have mentioned this other places, but someone asked me what the best part of this job is.

No 6 hour "Fireside chats" on Teams to hear about how you should you should better manage your time? No more looking at an Outlook calendar choosing which of the 6 mandatory meetings you are scheduled for simultaneously to actually attend? No managers passive-aggressively asking why you aren't on video, while you are driving to a customer you call on? How about daily stand ups where you hear from 8 people you've never met, all reporting progress on things you have nothing to do with? You must miss at least some of it?

Not to Grandpa story here but… I did medical sales for about two years. We had weekly conference calls… zoom wasn’t a thing then. The calls basically just went over metrics, leads, and that sort of thing. I managed to schedule a meeting with a very profitable doctor that happened to coincide with one of our weekly conference calls. My bosses boss actually made me attend the conference call instead of going to the meeting that could have made us a lot of money. During the meeting they asked every sales person about their upcoming leads, and I was very explicit in the lead that was just ruined for us. Boss man just says OK and moves on without acknowledgment.

Not to Grandpa story here but… I did medical sales for about two years. We had weekly conference calls… zoom wasn’t a thing then. The calls basically just went over metrics, leads, and that sort of thing. I managed to schedule a meeting with a very profitable doctor that happened to coincide with one of our weekly conference calls. My bosses boss actually made me attend the conference call instead of going to the meeting that could have made us a lot of money. During the meeting they asked every sales person about their upcoming leads, and I was very explicit in the lead that was just ruined for us. Boss man just says OK and moves on without acknowledgment.

I vaguely remember you doing this…I think. Mid to late 2000s?

This has happened exactly everywhere I have ever worked :)

This has happened exactly everywhere I have ever worked :)
I will never understand this. “Benign negligence” is a term I was taught early on when I was learning to be a sales manager. Keep your good people out selling, the numbers are the ultimate scorecard and with an efficient CRM there shouldn’t be any hiding or BS.

+1. I’ve held my side gig as an adjunct in the aviation department at a local college. I’m usually able to keep a 24 hour turnaround for grades and Zoom sessions, and the rest is done via prerecorded lectures online. It’s been a really rewarding way to try to give back in the same way people pulled me up to where I am.

One of many options. There are a ton of organizations that need educators at all sorts of levels.
you're almost off probation, that opens up doors to volunteer more if you so desire.

I will never understand this. “Benign negligence” is a term I was taught early on when I was learning to be a sales manager. Keep your good people out selling, the numbers are the ultimate scorecard and with an efficient CRM there shouldn’t be any hiding or BS.

"Efficient CRM."

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! <wheeze> HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

If you miss it at all I can point you toward some Union volunteer opportunities once you are off probation. :)

I have good months and better months. Because if you look at the total compensation, cash and prizes, if I took an equivalent-earning position anywhere else, I’d be on way more than statins. My cousin worked on Wall Street, make an incredible amount of money for his age and burned out because of the schedule and social responsibilities.

Work at 0700, off at 1800, then drinks with the execs to say in their good graces to be ‘top of mind’ to not only keep his job, but be available for the next higher position and constantly compete with his colleagues, usually home around 2200, snack/study/clean/pay bills/bed, up at 0500 to be at work at 0700, rinse, repeat. Holidays didn’t exist, weekends were pure exhaustion and missed with work social functions, then it started all over again.

Lived in Manhattan, huge rents, but if he lived anywhere else, he’d have to be up even earlier to make the train into town.

Easier in your 20’s when you’re trying to get ahead, would be absolutely murderous in my 50’s with children, a home and a dead liver.

And of course QOL gets super awesome the longer you plod along at this thing, as you have for many decades. I'm speaking more to the crowd of my peers who have been here for maybe a year, two, three, five, and while life is really good, it isn't always as amazing as it may be construed as. Trying to juggle the military reserves and this job is a serious headache for me, as an example. Nothing to do with my employer, they have been nothing short of awesome in that department, I just try to take on too much perpetually, so it is a "me" problem for sure. Which some people will take issue with because the system is literally designed to make this easy. It just isn't. Two jobs never is. But on topic, first few years at a major, especially my chosen one (or is it a legacy? or a big regional? :) ) can suck at times. I think it is ok to acknowledge that realistically, and still highlight the great things. But I know the reality has been different enough from the fake takes for a few of my friends to send them packing for other lines of work. That's my beef......if those guys had gotten honest information, they probably wouldn't have wasted their time (and money for the ATP) in the process

Back