91 cargo flying

pwa

Does flying part 91 to pick up freight count toward my total flight time (34) in a one week period?

this is for logging time. basically i flew (part 91) to pick up freight, took that to the next airport (part 135), then (part 91) to another airport to pick up again, then on to the next airport (part 135). Did this for 3days. By the 5th day im sitting on 32hrs, with one full day of rest before i start the 7th day.

It's definitely loggable time, you did fly it.

Like ppragman said, as far as commercial flying limits, if you got paid for it, it counts towards that time.

It can be manipulated to not count as your duty time. We often do part 91 flights home at the end of the day so we don't get stuck somewhere for the night. Of course it is at our request, and has to be approved.

It can be manipulated to not count as your duty time. We often do part 91 flights home at the end of the day so we don't get stuck somewhere for the night. Of course it is at our request, and has to be approved.

This is true, but it still counts towards 265 and/or 267 flight time limits.

Also though, I wouldn't count that time you spent flying home as rest. The FAA could take a dim view of that if your "optional" re-position flight wasn't exactly "optional."

No no, its not rest, nor counted as such. Repo flights are counted as duty, and are are all 91 flights for operational needs. Sometimes we have to divert to another airport due to delays, and on Friday, this could mean spending the night there instead of coming home. This is where we are allowed, with approval, to fly home if we choose to.

No no, its not rest, nor counted as such. Repo flights are counted as duty, and are are all 91 flights for operational needs. Sometimes we have to divert to another airport due to delays, and on Friday, this could mean spending the night there instead of coming home. This is where we are allowed, with approval, to fly home if we choose to.
I hate flow.

I hate to break it to you, but just because your empty doesnt mean its a part 91 flight. Im fairly certain that if you're flying to a destination to specifically pick up cargo then the empty leg is also considered a 135 flight. We fly empty legs on mondays to pick up cargo and at our base have always considered it to be a 135 flight because it is required by the business. If anything it is a grey area that im sure the FAA would bust you on if it found out you were going over flight times because of this. whether you call it 135 or 91 it still doesnt matter as its still counted towards your commercial flying times anyways.

I could be wrong, but its better to be safe then sorry.

You are right. You get paid and you put that toward your flight hours for the day, week and year. My company has several runs with part 91 legs, however they are required for the run. Kind of hard to justify a 91 leg not counting when needed to pick up the cargo. Especially when the repo is factored into the price of the flight for the customer.

I hate to break it to you, but just because your empty doesnt mean its a part 91 flight. Im fairly certain that if you're flying to a destination to specifically pick up cargo then the empty leg is also considered a 135 flight. We fly empty legs on mondays to pick up cargo and at our base have always considered it to be a 135 flight because it is required by the business. If anything it is a grey area that im sure the FAA would bust you on if it found out you were going over flight times because of this. whether you call it 135 or 91 it still doesnt matter as its still counted towards your commercial flying times anyways.

Huh??

You can 91 repo at the end of a duty period, IF the company gives you the choice of going home or staying where you currently are. If they require you to repo the aircraft, then it's absolutely a 135 leg and all the limitations apply. If you do 91 repo at the of a duty period (which has to be at the end, you can't use this at the beginning of a trip or in the middle), you can go over your duty and flight times, but it does not count as rest. The limitations of commercial flying in 7 days, 1 month, one quarter, or one year still apply as well.

You are at airport x with visibility below your 135 takeoff mins. Truck the work to airport y that is above mins. Takeoff from x part 91 and pickup at y.

You guys believe that's not legal???

Don't get caught up with the logging time issue. Figure out what you can do operationally and log the time over beers a couple hours later.

Mike that sounds like one of the talks I have had with my base manager lol. You're right though its totally legal.

The company I fly for does treat duty pretty much by the book. We have been screwed by required repos in the middle of the day and dutied out that night. If we fly a part 91 leg, then 91 regs apply I feel like thats self explanatory. "End of day" 91 legs to go home, are at the discretion of the pilot, and HQ.

You are at airport x with visibility below your 135 takeoff mins. Truck the work to airport y that is above mins. Takeoff from x part 91 and pickup at y.

You guys believe that's not legal???

I'm not so sure it is legal. If the company is requiring you to fly the aircraft to pick up cargo, I am under the impression it is a 135 flight. Again I am not aware of any LOI's nor am I 100% certain of my position so if anyone has some better info please share.

I'm not so sure it is legal. If the company is requiring you to fly the aircraft to pick up cargo, I am under the impression it is a 135 flight. Again I am not aware of any LOI's nor am I 100% certain of my position so if anyone has some better info please share.

I always thought it was pretty clear. Work on board (135) or not (91). This new generation of freight pilots are reading way too much into this.

Back