Compensation negotiation

135 is the absolute worst. It’s all about minimizing cost in that world.

I know 91 guys that fly 120-150 hours a year, I know 91 guys who know their schedule 6-9 months with little variability so it just depends. A good 91 gig is probably the best flying gig around but 121 likely beats most 91 jobs.

The problem with “really good 91 jobs” is you have to be incredibly lucky and also be super good at working contacts. It also helps when the CFO’s nephew gave up on flying to smoke weed full time, because otherwise it didn’t matter how lucky or likable you were, he was going to get the job, not you.

121 matches or exceeds 99% of 91 jobs, and you can simply be a garden variety schlub who can stand a little closer to the razor for a few days and do pretty well.

The problem with “really good 91 jobs” is you have to be incredibly lucky and also be super good at working contacts. It also helps when the CFO’s nephew gave up on flying to smoke weed full time, because otherwise it didn’t matter how lucky or likable you were, he was going to get the job, not you.

121 matches or exceeds 99% of 91 jobs, and you can simply be a garden variety schlub who can stand a little closer to the razor for a few days and do pretty well.

121 flying is tee ball. Somebody else does all the hard work, you just walk up to the tee, look things over, agree to the situation, swing, go to the hotel.

121 flying is tee ball. Somebody else does all the hard work, you just walk up to the tee, look things over, agree to the situation, swing, go to the hotel.

I think this is the thing. To correct the saying, "work dumber not harder" (and probably less too). Not trying convince anyone of anything, but after years of doing flying a lot harder, it's very peaceful. Come on in, the water is warm. OP, best of luck on your goals, I'm sure you will find a good place that isn't 121, and be happy there.

Although I can relate to everything you said, that's actually not my situation at all.

I essentially left professional flying in 2012 with 3800 hours because I considered the industry to be kind of messed up on multiple levels, between the seniority system, lack of stability, predictability, low pay for years and years, and so on. I realized it wasn't going to provide what I wanted out of life. So I quit.

I got into aircraft sales work, bought a house, got married, and settled in to a great life... coincidentally, a seven hour drive from literally any major airline hub.

When the "pilot shortage" hit and pay/schedules started noticeably improving, I decided I would give flying a shot again at a local operation in 2016.

At this point I'm so settled in life, I have nearly zero interest in moving and definitely have zero interest in commuting.

Maybe I'd be more open to 121 in ten or fifteen years when my kids are older as a "retirement gig" of sorts.
I totally get the no commuting thing. I left the left seat at a ULCC to go to a cargo company that buys me tickets to work. The other advantage to the company is you can bid for your schedule for an entire year. So this year I have the same days off every month. I can't remember the last time I could actually book a dentist appointment in the future.

I totally get the no commuting thing. I left the left seat at a ULCC to go to a cargo company that buys me tickets to work. The other advantage to the company is you can bid for your schedule for an entire year. So this year I have the same days off every month. I can't remember the last time I could actually book a dentist appointment in the future.

Wait, you left a who for a what now?! o_O

😂😂😂😂

I'm not gonna lie, that's hilariously true.

I think the difference in my case is that I'm aware of what a weird path I'm on and am ok with it. I also make zero attempts to convince anyone else to follow my path. It's what happened to work best in my life, but it's probably not the best for most people.

I'm on a trip right now with an FO who has a class date at Southwest. They got hired here as an 800 hour, 23 year old flight instructor. Currently 25 years old, have 1800 TT with 1000 turbine, yet zero turbine PIC. What a world we live in.

It was not until three years after I quit flying in 2012 that Southwest dropped the requirement to hold a 737 type.

I'm happy for this FO. They will probably have more money and stability than I ever will. Good for them!

I also say this not the least bit bitter or regretful. I made the best decisions I could given the available information and circumstances and wouldn't change a thing.

Back