1500hrs quantity<quality

People crash airplanes either because they're a bad stick, or a bad apple.

It’s a whole lot more complicated than that. Anyone can crash an airplane, training, selection, and experience are just ways of mitigating the threat to an acceptable level. But the threat is never gone.

I’ll also argue that being a good or bad “stick” has way less to do with it than decision making does. The manipulation of the controls is the easy part and rarely is the reason for an accident.

It’s a whole lot more complicated than that. Anyone can crash an airplane, training, selection, and experience are just ways of mitigating the threat to an acceptable level. But the threat is never gone.

I’ll also argue that being a good or bad “stick” has way less to do with it than decision making does. The manipulation of the controls is the easy part and rarely is the reason for an accident.

This. There's some old saw about superior decision making preventing you from having to display superior piloting...

There's other, more diverse things I'd like to do with flying. The way I'm keeping the experiences diverse is by teaching and by also operating my own plane for more interesting XC experiences. Given that I'm also the mech on the airplane for most things, there's been a whole new element layered into my decision making process.

This. There's some old saw about superior decision making preventing you from having to display superior piloting...
Bernard was right, and FBW saves lives.

The manipulation of the controls is the easy part and rarely is the reason for an accident.
The last jet transport that became a smoking crater in the US happened because of a lack of pilot skill and the consequent inappropriate manipulation of the flight controls.

Sure, there were a lot of other antecedent and systemic flaws that put Conrad in that jet, but at the end of the day they’re dead and the jet is destroyed because he was a Bad Pilot.

Bernard was right, and FBW saves lives.

The last jet transport that became a smoking crater in the US happened because of a lack of pilot skill and the consequent inappropriate manipulation of the flight controls.

Sure, there were a lot of other antecedent and systemic flaws that put Conrad in that jet, but at the end of the day they’re dead and the jet is destroyed because he was a Bad Pilot.

I’d say going full forward in response to an accidental TOGA falls more into the poor decision making/reaction to unexpected occurrences than the ability to fly silky smooth steep turns.

There is obviously a minimum standard, which he obviously didn’t meet and I think someone should be charged with manslaughter for putting him there. But in 121 if you need to be a good stick, you done f-Ed up.

39937519_10101532138289778_8572768337862328320_n.jpeg

I’d say going full forward in response to an accidental TOGA falls more into the poor decision making/reaction to unexpected occurrences than the ability to fly silky smooth steep turns.
A superior stick would not have buried the stick in the instrument panel, however.

There is obviously a minimum standard, which he obviously didn’t meet and I think someone should be charged with manslaughter for putting him there.
Agreed, and I’m also 100% in favor of PRD, too.

So the 1500 hour rule created a shortage of applicants for regionals, which now means they'll take anyone who can check the boxes.

How is that safer?
1,200 hours of natural selection

@Richman nailed it.

The reality is not everyone lives through those 1,500 hours, and those who do will have scared the ever living • out of themselves enough times to either fix bad habits or quit.

Experience is a requisite in every career field. Medical students have to get hands on experience in surgery, law students do internships. Would you allow a surgeon operate on you if they had CLEP'd medical school instead of getting the experience? If not, why would you let a pilot fly you to Florida who did the same?

If not, why would you let a pilot fly you to Florida who did the same?
Because you're just rich enough to have a Citation operated Part 134.5 out of a hangar in South Florida, but you're not rich enough to run your own little airline with experienced pilots?

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Well, everything is a decision on some level. I put continuous knowledge and interpretation of attitude and airspeed as stick-and-rudder skills.

Versus having time to evaluate options and picking a bad option.

If I die in IMC it will be a mid-air or CFT because I'm staring at the AI and airspeed. The departed Atlas FO didn't appear to understand how to maintain SA.

That said, quite a few Navy aircraft have been lost after a cat shot due to momentary disorientation. In these cases, no time to gather attitude/airspeed info before acting.

@Richman nailed it.

Experience is a requisite in every career field. Medical students have to get hands on experience in surgery, law students do internships. Would you allow a surgeon operate on you if they had CLEP'd medical school instead of getting the experience? If not, why would you let a pilot fly you to Florida who did the same?

On the same note… none of the professions above allow a new hire or fresh graduate to “teach” others. Pilot training is the only profession that allows someone to teach a skill they literally just learned. Its comical to me. I’m a training officer in Law Enforcement and I could never in a million years allow someone fresh out of the academy to immediately start teaching at the academy.

Personally, I hope this “shortage” forces the airlines to address pilot training between the 250-1500 hour gap. I still believe a regional pilot would be far more equipped if they had 1000 hours on their own, and 500 hours of pure sim/airline training. Fully immersed in 121 operations/training for 500 hours. Sure it would cost the airlines a ton of money. But they are already throwing money at bonuses and retentions.

I have no idea how much sim training costs; but by my calculations 500 hours divided by 8 hours per day (factoring days off) only equates to about 3 months of paid training. Regionals could get away with paying a pilot roughly $6000 during that “training” period.

@Richman nailed it.

The reality is not everyone lives through those 1,500 hours, and those who do will have scared the ever living • out of themselves enough times to either fix bad habits or quit.

I would add that the selection may not necessarily because of aeronautical reasons. If someone is a wackjob, asshat, or simply a bad employee, they tend to get weeded out as well. Maybe not as many as some would like, but certainly the outliers.

On the same note… none of the professions above allow a new hire or fresh graduate to “teach” others. Pilot training is the only profession that allows someone to teach a skill they literally just learned. Its comical to me. I’m a training officer in Law Enforcement and I could never in a million years allow someone fresh out of the academy to immediately start teaching at the academy.

As far as the Navy goes, SERGRADS have done well compared to IP's that have seen the fleet.

That would definitely make some better pilots. Or better yet… how about we allow airlines to hire at 1000 total time and give the new hire 500 hours of sim time? As someone who believes in training perishable skills, I would support that if the airlines bought in. 500 hours in a sim CONSTANTLY training emergency operations?? You cannot tell me that is less valuable than buzzing a 150 around with a student pilot for 500 hours or dual given.
I like the idea, but a 500 hour check ride doesn't look attractive.

Back