1500hrs quantity<quality

jgheggie

So… I’ve been absent from aviation for the last 7 years or so. When I stopped paying attention, we were all debating the Quality over quantity topic since the 1500 hour rule was fairly new. So now that the “rule” has been around for awhile, I’m curious how the airlines are viewing quality over quantity. I’ve hear of guys flying their own airplane all over to build time. How are the airlines viewing this? Do they even care? **note** I understand COVID has changed a few hiring trends. I’m just trying to get a general idea of how the airlines view the quality of 1500 hours in an applicants logbook. Aside from checking all other ATP requirements, does laps around your home field in your 6gph c150 make any difference to the regionals?

I was just talking to some blue polo shirted ATP instructors the other day about this at my local airport. I was telling them at Colgan we used to hire at 250ish hours and they were shocked. Then they asked why it went to 1500. I said that was also a Colgan thing.

I’m just trying to get a general idea of how the airlines view the quality of 1500 hours in an applicants logbook. Aside from checking all other ATP requirements, does laps around your home field in your 6gph c150 make any difference to the regionals?

My opinion as a recent airplane owner - if you survive 1500 hours of airplane ownership (and especially maintenance), you should get bonus points.

I was just talking to some blue polo shirted ATP instructors the other day about this at my local airport. I was telling them at Colgan we used to hire at 250ish hours and they were shocked. Then they asked why it went to 1500. I said that was also a Colgan thing.

I never understood people who enter this career and don’t study something as critical as airline accidents. At least study some of the more recent ones, there haven’t been that many.

It’s something I’ve always tried to keep up with. What happened, why, things learned, etc. One guy I follow is AdmiralCloudberg on Medium. I found some I’d never heard about before there (eg, Air Algérie Flight 6289).

Yeh I remember 250tt and 25me would get you an interview at Mesa. None of this flow business.

Don't forget the ATP written changes too. 31 Aug 14 was a fun deadline day to be around for.

So… I’ve been absent from aviation for the last 7 years or so. When I stopped paying attention, we were all debating the Quality over quantity topic since the 1500 hour rule was fairly new. So now that the “rule” has been around for awhile, I’m curious how the airlines are viewing quality over quantity. I’ve hear of guys flying their own airplane all over to build time. How are the airlines viewing this? Do they even care? **note** I understand COVID has changed a few hiring trends. I’m just trying to get a general idea of how the airlines view the quality of 1500 hours in an applicants logbook. Aside from checking all other ATP requirements, does laps around your home field in your 6gph c150 make any difference to the regionals?
To answer your question, not at the regional level. Regional airlines do not care how you got it, only that you got it.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure we're back to 1450TT and 25ME and don't have any revocations or murders on your record... at least at the regionals.

Do it the regular way. Get your tickets, CFI, learn something about people, machines and yourself, and you’ll have no problems. It’s worked for decades.
Don’t worry, I’m not looking for a shortcut. As a “recruiter” in my current profession, I am genuinely curious how the airlines are viewing time. Hell even skydive pilot versus survey work versus 135 FO time all has its own experience.

Don’t worry, I’m not looking for a shortcut. As a “recruiter” in my current profession, I am genuinely curious how the airlines are viewing time. Hell even skydive pilot versus survey work versus 135 FO time all has its own experience.
Isn’t cross-country time needed? I don’t see a Cessna 150 in the pattern or a skydive pilot getting any of that.

Figure out what aspects of your aviation abilities could use some improvement and find a job that will force you to improve those skills. I basically did this by accident when @Van_Hoolio scored me an instructor job out of BWI. All of my training before this was in some super easy airspace so flying around the DC area was exactly what I needed. I’d have been useless at the airlines without it.

Entry level (regional) they don’t care. As the applicants vs number of positions available increase not necessarily the quality of time but the titles and achievements along the way will help differentiate. Minimums are just that. I fairly regularly hear from people that JUST met the minimums and are wondering why they haven’t got the call. I had the minimums for the better part of a decade before the final place called.

Figure out what aspects of your aviation abilities could use some improvement and find a job that will force you to improve those skills. I basically did this by accident when @Van_Hoolio scored me an instructor job out of BWI. All of my training before this was in some super easy airspace so flying around the DC area was exactly what I needed. I’d have been useless at the airlines without it.
Solid thought. My “plan” was to try and do a variety of flying. The unfortunate thing is that most low time jobs require a one year contract. But I totally agree with tackling your weaknesses head on!

So the 1500 hour rule created a shortage of applicants for regionals, which now means they'll take anyone who can check the boxes.

How is that safer?

Back