My side of the story (Falcon F/O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't work for an airline: I know the right thing to do. Bumblebee worked for a non-union airline: he knows the right thing to do.

:tmyk:

It honestly sounds like a very unfortunate set of circumstances. I hope the best for you. Some people are calling you a scab, and thats not for someone like me to decide, I do 135/91 stuff, and have no understanding of what it's all about on the 121 side. I hear there is a scab list some where on the internet. Hindsight is almost always 20/20, and it sounds like a scenario where you would have been damned either way (second leg). I don't know what I would have done in your position, and I have a feeling most who are calling you a scab don't know either. Beeing thrown into the fire like this I hope you are able to smooth things over enough to keep you in the industry. Good Luck.

Question though. If you did know that you were flying struck work on the way back, what options did you have to avoid making the flight? Letting us know your options (or atleast those calling you a scab) might help to better understand #1, why you did it, #2 what you could have/should have done differently.

I thought that there would be some kind of consideration for that by the pilot community since I was going to stop flying after return, but apparently not...

There's lots of consideration in the pilot community. Stuff like watching each others back, respecting picket lines...you know, stuff like that.

So you did not know that flying the leg back was wrong?

I am sure you knew that you would have to answer some serious questions including being fired, but honestly, you had a feeling something was wrong before you took off according to your story.

From what I see here, you hoped that people would understand why you flew that leg knowing that you were crossing the picket line. Because your job was at risk...

It never occurred to me that that would be such a big issue. I thought that not continuing to fly after return would show on which side was. I did not know that people wanted me to become the sacrificial lamb...

It never occurred to me that that would be such a big issue. I thought that not continuing to fly after return would show on which side was. I did not know that people wanted me to become the sacrificial lamb...

You sacrificed yourself. You made all your decisions.

And quite frankly, I don't care what your story is.

Nobody does.

You are a scab.

You will always be a scab.

I think you are receiving consideration here...you are being engaged in an exchange of ideas, some are just lashing out, but some are trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, and trying to clear up the holes in your story.

I think you are being treated pretty generously here.

See, I can buy all of it with a little bit of faith right up until the point where you KNEW that there were pilots who were putting their jobs, medical benefits careers on the line, and out of fear of what may happen to you you flew their leg, after you put yourself in this situation, through ignorance or apathy or whatever.

Do you understand my point?

sacrificial lamb...

A sacrificial lamb would imply that you are being wronged unjustly.

You sir are not. You sir are a scab as defined by the Sprit MEC. You have plead guilty here and on other internet forums in a feeble attempt to gain sympathy to help with your guilt.

SPIRIT AIRLINES INC. LAWFULLY STRUCK WORK
A. Any Spirit Airlines, Inc. pilot with a date of hire (DOH) between June 12, 2010 and {future date unknown} (a.k.a. "replacement worker") is automatically a SCAB.
B. Any Spirit Airlines, Inc. pilot with a DOH prior to June 12th, 2010 that crosses the picket line and has been confirmed to have operated a Spirit aircraft during a period of lawfully "struck work," is a SCAB.

C. Any Spirit Airlines, Inc. pilot, or other certificated pilot, that willfully operates aircaft for an alter-ego company, specifically for the purpose of operating Spirit Airlines' aircraft and/or its scheduled routes, during a period of lawfully "struck work," is a SCAB
D. Any Spirit Airlines, Inc. pilot that crosses the picket line and has been confirmed to have operated a Spirit aircraft during a period of lawfully "struck work," or that "crawls back" sometime after the strike has started, due to family crisis issues; i.e. you're about to lose your house; to feed your family; your kid gets cancer and you need the money to pay for treatment; or any other case however extreme, is still a SCAB.
E. Any Spirit Airlines, Inc. pilot that is in training, ground-schoool, I.O.E., or on probation, with or without a DOH, that operates a Spirit Airlines, Inc. aircraft specifically for the purpose of operating its scheduled route during a period of lawfully "struck work," is a SCAB.
F. Any Spirit Airlines, Inc. unionized ALPA management pilot, (i.e. Chief Pilot, Director of Operations, Director of Training/Safety, etc.) that operates a Spirit Airlines, Inc. aircraft specifically for the purpose of operating its scheduled route during a period of lawfully "struck work," is a SCAB.

I think you also have to remember Onno didn't grow up in the US - so the intricate details of US employee/employer relations and the history of pilot strikes isn't something he is particularly knowledgeable of.

I think you also have to remember Onno didn't grow up in the US - so the intricate details of US employee/employer relations and the history of pilot strikes isn't something he is particularly knowledgeable of.

Many folks don't care about this.

I'm one of them.

He's a scab.

Not taking sides here, just curious what SOP is when a strike occurs and you're away from home on a trip?

You strike along with your fellow pilots. If you get an airplane to do pretty much anything after a strike has been called, you will be labeled a scab. (Maybe getting your stuff off the plane, assuming you left stuff on the plane would be ok).

Other than that, you pack up your stuff...go to another airline (they'll know your plight) and you either A) go home (then get to a major hub or HQ for your airline and walk the line), or B) you get a major hub or HQ and walk the line with your fellow brothers and sisters.

It never occurred to me that that would be such a big issue..

that is the foundation for all that has followed you and will follow you...

you didn't think it would be a big deal to take that leg, the first one I could argue on your behalf, the second one....

the one where it would have really shown courage is the one where you displayed no backbone...

you thought I'll just work a little as a scab, and maybe they will forgive me...
that is the error in judgment

unfortunately that is what will follow you around.

Had you made the hard choice you would have had support from all corners, and it may have been a tough few months, but here was an opportunity to show courage and solidarity, and you chose to take the easy way.

Sorry.

Not taking sides here, just curious what SOP is when a strike occurs and you're away from home on a trip?

The company you are flying for in this hypothetical would give you the details when the time came, most carriers (ALPA, in house, IBT, non-union) honor jumpseat agreements. So for the spirit folks who were on a layover in (insert city here) they could get back to DTW on DL and head to the picket line.

Sorry for the thread drift- but there is your answer.

You sacrificed yourself. You made all your decisions.

And quite frankly, I don't care what your story is.

Nobody does.

You are a scab.

You will always be a scab.

You're right he is a scab and always will be. However he can still save face. Donating the money he earned to the Spirit pilots cause is the first step in the right direction.

Someone on this board talked about a captain he flew with that was a scab, regretted it everyday and tried to teach us young-ins the rights and wrongs. He was and still is a scab however he is still improving his credibility.

This F/O can never remove this title from his resume. It will stick with him for the rest of his life. However he can better his reputation some by talking about his mistakes, make sure no one else makes them, talk about his thought process and stop making excuses. Make this experience a learning opportunity for all up and comers in this industry.

P.S.-What's the deal w/ the avatar?

Are you kidding me?

Europeans strike over not getting a coffee break ontime.

Onno is a scab.

I think you are receiving consideration here...you are being engaged in an exchange of ideas, some are just lashing out, but some are trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, and trying to clear up the holes in your story.

I think you are being treated pretty generously here.

See, I can buy all of it with a little bit of faith right up until the point where you KNEW that there were pilots who were putting their jobs, medical benefits careers on the line, and out of fear of what may happen to you you flew their leg, after you put yourself in this situation, through ignorance or apathy or whatever.

Do you understand my point?

In retrospect, yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back