Why Sully may be the last of his kind.

Sully is not the last of his kind. We really need to stop putting this guy up on a pedestal in terms of what an exceptional captain or 'hero' he is. From the amount of attention he's received, it seems like a lot of you guys see yourselves as being unable to accomplish such a save if power loss ever happened to you. If you seriously doubt your ability to save an airplane that's lost power, then you shouldn't be a captain.

Hallelujah!!!!!!!

The reason we SHOULD be giving him all this attention is the fact that he is trying to get the word out to everyone that pilots are in desperate need of increased job security and compensation. He is hitting the nail on the head as to why this trend in pilot compensation will impact a whole variety of issues including safety and manpower availability.

No he's not!! Sully was called on to testify at one Congressional hearing and the only reason he was asked to testify at one Congressional hearing is because the clowns in DC love to embrace the PR that follows the celebrity flavor of the month. Show me where the theme from Chesney's media tour has been the plight of pilots?? Is he going to write a book on this subject? No!!
Perhaps a poem?? ;)

Sullenberger made as effective use of his moment in the spotlight as can be expected and we should be grateful to him for his effort on behalf of the profession at a time of great stress in his own life.

Huh?? Grateful for what?? All Sully's done during this "time of great stress in his own life" is hire an agent and ca$h in.

However, the "public" couldn't possibly have any interest in the points he tried to make. And I can't think of any reason why they should.
Problems of airline pilots are problems of airline pilots, not the public.....If Sullenberger can make a few bucks, more power to him. However, because he's a great example of what we respect from inside the profession, it'd be a shame to see him outright used by the media and those worthless sacks of protoplasm in Congress for their own self-serving purposes.
That's pretty much what has happened by now. Time to move on; the "public" already has.

Not true at all. The forum is there for Sully if he wants it. Back in 1989 Al Haynes was where Sully is now, a nationally known celebrity in great demand. There were movies made and books written (read bestselling creepy fiction author Dean Koontz book 'Cold Fire' - based on UA232 - chilling) and even a play was written about UA232 yet Haynes never looked to cash in when he could have. Over the past 20 years Haynes has given thousands of speeches to hundreds of thousands of people on the crash of UA232 and the lessons learned and he's never asked for a dime to be placed in his pocket. All Haynes has ever asked from the groups he spoken to was for them to make a contribution to one of his charities. Sully could do the very same thing and use his new found celebrity to talk about his experience with 1549 as a backdrop to address the plight of pilots in today's airline industry. Of course the public has interest in the plight of pilots. Who do you think fills those seats?? But will Sully want to do it?? Will he have time??? Or will the writing of his "memoir" :rolleyes: be too time consuming??

Of course the public has interest in the plight of pilots. Who do you think fills those seats?? But will Sully want to do it?? Will he have time??? Or will the writing of his "memoir" :rolleyes: be too time consuming??

Disagree. The public may fill those seats; but all they care about is A to B at the cheapest price. With their "sale at the mall" mentality, the problems of airline crews doesn't affect them one bit, in their own self-consumed minds.

Huh?? Grateful for what?? All Sully's done during this "time of great stress in his own life" is hire an agent and ca$h in.

Snoopy,

YIKES, MAN !! :laff::laff::laff: Grateful for just what I said, a fleeting if ineffective attempt to address the problems of airline pilots to a disinterested public and even more disinterested Congress. A nice gesture but all to no avail. And my guess would be the post-accident period has been stressful for him and his crew.

I didn't expect to be going to bat for him since I think the deification and lionization of him has gotten out of hand but this is America and people can cash in if they choose to. I never saw Mother Teresa in an airline cockpit.

If Haynes decided not to, that's also a legitimate decision. People died in the UAL crash but didn't in the USAir thing so the aftermath of the UAL crash was considerably more somber and may have influenced Haynes decisions; who knows ?

And, no, the public doesn't care who fills cockpit seats or their career problems. If they did, what would one expect them to do about it ?

I do agree completely with your assessment of Congress and the media is even worse. :crazy:

That's just life in the big city. :D

HE's BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!

Snoopy2, you seem to have a real 'Sully problem". I note you do not list any flying time or licenses but list hobbies as sampling beers. You're probably good at that and maybe you can cash in on that.

And on another thread I do see where Haynes does have a speaking fee albeit it remarkably modest. But that is Capt Haynes call... not yours or anyone elses.

And on something you may have an informed opinion on, what do you think of Fat Tire or Anchor Steam?

Looks like the green-eyed monster is alive and well! :D Maybe it's me, but I'd much rather someone who has a good story to tell makes some money as opposed to a scumbag or no-talent Hollywood twit. :rolleyes:
BTW snoopy, what makes you so sure he won't donate any fees he makes to a charity?

Summary: If you're not an ex-military pilot, the author doesn't trust your abilities to handle emergencies.
If I remember correctly after the 1989 UA 811 incident (Captain Cronin) or another similar incident, there was an article about losing all the old WWII and Korean pilots, and how the new pilots werent up to snuff. Now it is 20 yrs later and it is Vietnam pilots.

To paraphrase the Book of Ecclesiates "There is nothing new under the sun." Or more secular: The more things change the more they stay the same.

To paraphrase the Book of Ecclesiates "There is nothing new under the sun." Or more secular: The more things change the more they stay the same.

Yep, there's always someone trying to convince you the sky is falling and the world is coming apart at the seams...usually the media types. They're the ones with whom I'd have the biggest axe to grind, like the guy who wrote the article in the OP. But you can't stop them; they are what they are.

If I can get someone to pay me, I'm going to write an article about the decline in the ability of all medical schools, except one, to produce reliable brain surgeons. Of course, I've not been to medical school and know nothing about brain surgery but those are just insignificant details which will not deter me. I am JOURNALIST, ergo, I know everything and what I say is truth !!!

I'll get some washout from Follywood to give his input. And, we all know those folks have giant brains and therefore know lots about brain surgery.

Then , I'll get some hack from the AMA to explain how he's telling his kids not to be brain surgeons because there's not enough money in it despite my original thesis being that substandard people are aspiring to be brain surgeons and sleepwalking through the profession merely for the money.

Yep, this is a good plan for which I expect to be paid and respected. :laff::laff::laff:

Back