Tough decisions and broken crystal balls

I would imagine a seasoned Spirit or Allegiant passenger likely knows how the ticketing process works, exactly what amenities they want or don't want to purchase, what level of service they desire to buy, and what they want to do for baggage; hence they likely know just how to craft all of that into the price that meets their budget. ULCCs work for them; unlike some first timers who don't know how all of the aforementioned items work, then complain when they don't receive expected regular airline coach or better level service, for a bargain basement price.

Here is the problem with a business model like Spirit, even for the seasoned Spirit passengers, in my opinion. Also offering some observations about the place from my short time there.

In order to maximize profit with as little overhead as possible, the marketing folks (who really call the shots there) make the schedule REALLY tight. Meaning, they have little room to recover to get back on schedule if a plane goes for maintenance, a delay going into LGA, or the hundreds of other things that can happen that can delay a flight. Basically, there is little chance for a plan B or C or even D as they simply don't have spare aircraft laying around. Couple that with some markets that only see a daily flight or a flight a few times a week, if a flight is canceled or delayed that seasoned traveler can be stranded as Spirit doesn't have agreements with other airlines to cross book. I saw that happen a few times to the seasoned Spirit passenger. In contrast, if a frequent flyer with another airline had a flight canceled, other airlines have more options to add extra segments, sub in a larger aircraft to handled oversold flights, get placed ahead of other standby customers if you are an elite frequent flyer, etc. I was told that in the past, Spirit didn't allow folks to buy connecting tickets, it was all originating and departing traffic only, and my sense is that some folks in Spirit management haven't moved on from that concept. What supports this observation is Spirit has been using ACMI carriers for years to supplement when needed

Spirit has also had horrific operational issues over the last few years in their expansion in how they dealt with the FAA. From aircraft manuals, 'seat issues', to the FAA saying that Spirit can't refuel an aircraft with passengers onboard, Spirit management has done a horrible job of dealing with the FAA (as a side, what is it with ex-USAirways guys going into management? I know Virgin America, Spirit, and JetBlue have had a ton of ex-Airways guys go into management. @BobDDuck?). Yes, any FAA employee can be an ass over something, but Spirit moved the certificate from the Detroit FSDO to the Miami FSDO as they thought it would be 'easier' in handling certificate issues. It ultimately cost the Director of Operations his job, but the bottom line is that Spirit has had A LOT of issues with the FAA. The fault is ultimately managements, but I do think that some of the issues Spirit is having with the FAA is how Spirit have gone after the Department of Transportation. Also, their CEO doesn't have the pull as someone

You are right, if the seasoned traveler doesn't mind the above, ok, it just is what it is.

Bottom line, I think Spirit is being set up to merge with someone. Spirit has an awesome pilot group, I really enjoyed my time there, would have had no problem staying if my dream job didn't become an option, and I wish their employees the best.

Funny story though about my short time at Spirit. As I was junior reserve guy in LAS I usually had to do a red-eye Sunday night from LAS to MSP/ORD. Well, as Spirit's average passenger may travel once or twice every year or so, if that, a lot of passengers would check out of their Vegas hotel room at 11:00 AM, head to the pool or bar, and drink until they had to get back to the airport. While the gate agents turned away some folks, they didn't everyone. I kid you not, 50% of the time on one of those red-eyes, somewhere between MCI and DSM we would get a call from the Flight Attendants from the back saying one of our passengers 'passed out in the galley'. It was like clock work, Vegas, their bender at the bar before the flight, and them flying was to much for them to handle. Thankfully, every time this happened the Flight Attendants started them on oxygen, gave them some juice, and by the time we contacted MedLink the passenger was back at their seat, ok, but embarrassed.

Last edited:
(as a side, what is it with ex-USAirways guys going into management? I know Virgin America, Spirit, and JetBlue have had a ton of ex-Airways guys go into management. @BobDDuck?).

I think Airways just went through a hell of a lot of managers. Remember, until Parker came on board it was pretty much a disaster a minute at USAir and they tried just about everything thing could (including cycling lots of people in and out of management positions) to stay afloat.

I have been following this thread the whole time but I figured I should throw my hat into the ring since I have worked at both Spirit and Allegiant. First @ZapBrannigan its a great thing to have choices, just do what's best for you and your family, nobody know whats best for you. A lot of people questioned me leaving Allegiant for Spirit but so far it's worked out much better for our family. So back to Allegiant and Spirit. In my opinion Allegiant has a great group of pilots, good guys to fly with and guys who (used) to love working for Allegiant, however if you go on apc and read labbats comments about working there I will just say I don't disagree with what he says. In regards to Spirit and growing plains and the FAA, sure there are some weird things no doubt (reference the fueling) but show me an airline that doesn't have some kind of issue....oh you can't they don't exist. Is Allegiant or Spirit the the best in the world? No, but they both have people who work there who are great. As for merging.....I'm not sure what to think....logically Spirit and Frontier would make sense.....but I also know of some middle level higher ups that went to Frontier from Allegaint.

Here is the problem with a business model like Spirit, even for the seasoned Spirit passengers, in my opinion. Also offering some observations about the place from my short time there.

In order to maximize profit with as little overhead as possible, the marketing folks (who really call the shots there) make the schedule REALLY tight. Meaning, they have little room to recover to get back on schedule if a plane goes for maintenance, a delay going into LGA, or the hundreds of other things that can happen that can delay a flight. Basically, there is little chance for a plan B or C or even D as they simply don't have spare aircraft laying around. Couple that with some markets that only see a daily flight or a flight a few times a week, if a flight is canceled or delayed that seasoned traveler can be stranded as Spirit doesn't have agreements with other airlines to cross book. I saw that happen a few times to the seasoned Spirit passenger. In contrast, if a frequent flyer with another airline had a flight canceled, other airlines have more options to add extra segments, sub in a larger aircraft to handled oversold flights, get placed ahead of other standby customers if you are an elite frequent flyer, etc. I was told that in the past, Spirit didn't allow folks to buy connecting tickets, it was all originating and departing traffic only, and my sense is that some folks in Spirit management haven't moved on from that concept. What supports this observation is Spirit has been using ACMI carriers for years to supplement when needed

Spirit has also had horrific operational issues over the last few years in their expansion in how they dealt with the FAA. From aircraft manuals, 'seat issues', to the FAA saying that Spirit can't refuel an aircraft with passengers onboard, Spirit management has done a horrible job of dealing with the FAA (as a side, what is it with ex-USAirways guys going into management? I know Virgin America, Spirit, and JetBlue have had a ton of ex-Airways guys go into management. @BobDDuck?). Yes, any FAA employee can be an ass over something, but Spirit moved the certificate from the Detroit FSDO to the Miami FSDO as they thought it would be 'easier' in handling certificate issues. It ultimately cost the Director of Operations his job, but the bottom line is that Spirit has had A LOT of issues with the FAA. The fault is ultimately managements, but I do think that some of the issues Spirit is having with the FAA is how Spirit have gone after the Department of Transportation. Also, their CEO doesn't have the pull as someone

You are right, if the seasoned traveler doesn't mind the above, ok, it just is what it is.

Bottom line, I think Spirit is being set up to merge with someone. Spirit has an awesome pilot group, I really enjoyed my time there, would have had no problem staying if my dream job didn't become an option, and I wish their employees the best.

Funny story though about my short time at Spirit. As I was junior reserve guy in LAS I usually had to do a red-eye Sunday night from LAS to MSP/ORD. Well, as Spirit's average passenger may travel once or twice every year or so, if that, a lot of passengers would check out of their Vegas hotel room at 11:00 AM, head to the pool or bar, and drink until they had to get back to the airport. While the gate agents turned away some folks, they didn't everyone. I kid you not, 50% of the time on one of those red-eyes, somewhere between MCI and DSM we would get a call from the Flight Attendants from the back saying one of our passengers 'passed out in the galley'. It was like clock work, Vegas, their bender at the bar before the flight, and them flying was to much for them to handle. Thankfully, every time this happened the Flight Attendants started them on oxygen, gave them some juice, and by the time we contacted MedLink the passenger was back at their seat, ok, but embarrassed.

Interesting read, I know a couple of people at Spirit but didn't know all that. I am familiar with the Miami FSDO also.

Just curious, is this "dream job" 121 or corporate?

@Eagle421flyer, I can't believe folks would question why you would leave Allegiant for Spirit. That was a good move.

Also, I agree, things do happen with the FAA, but not being able to refuel the aircraft with passengers onboard was more than the FAA being a pain in the ass.

@HVYMETALDRVR, 121.

I've diverted 3 times doing the LAS-JFK/BOS red eye because some drunk ass acted in an inappropriate manner or passed out in the bathroom. I've had quite a few overnights in Vegas and still don't see why people need to get that stupid. Is there a donkey show that I'm missing or something?

No people want the Hangover treatment. Wake up, don't know what happened, learn through receipts what happen and then realize they have $85000 in a "man purse" wrapped around the sunburned friend.

Back