Tough decisions and broken crystal balls

They are building SWA a new terminal and of course there's the runway project.

Car crashes and plane crashes are entirely different animals. Truth is if you are involved in a crash that's bad enough to send the infant flying as a projectile (as they did in the UAL DC10 case at Sioux) then most likely the adults probably aren't going to make it either (more than half died in that crash). Now of course in a car, I always strap the little guy in his seat secured at all times. But the accident dynamics of the two are entirely different.

Polar, about your have a seat and be secured comment, how many times do people fly and then take their belts off? We as pilots turn the seatbelt sign off and even though advise that seatbelts remain on, lots of people take them off.

Yes my child is worth more than $39 but I'm also being realistic about chances of survival in crashes. The last few US crashes like Colgan, Comair, and AA 587 killed everyone and no seat can ever save you from the tremendous G-forces involved in those crashes. Other accidents like Southwest and Asiana at SFO had an infant on board BIA and still lived. Chances of living are going to depend on the deceleration G forces and if they are light and prolonged over time as the aircraft comes to a stop, then everybody has a better chance to live. Severe turbulence has the chance of maybe losing control of your baby if you haven't held him securely. IMO it's a personal decision but I don't think it makes someone a bad parent if they travel on a plane with a BIA. I've done it numerous times with him now and every other parent I saw did it too.

Did they not offer physics at Jet U?

Did they not offer physics at Jet U?
Not the smartest thing to do, call into question the education of an engineer...

He hasn't made the greatest choices when it comes to prepping for airline life, sure, but the guy is an engineer. That takes a lot more education and smarts than the average pilot's background.

Not the smartest thing to do, call into question the education of an engineer...

He hasn't made the greatest choices when it comes to prepping for airline life, sure, but the guy is an engineer. That takes a lot more education and smarts than the average pilot's background.

Or I was just making a joke. Why so serious all the time?

And rumor is the other airlines will foot the bill via raised enplanement fees. Not the best move. SWA should be spending THEIR money on the terminal. I'm hoping I heard wrong. I know the terminal expansion in JFK is on us not the Port Authority.

Been to STL recently?

FLL was a great place to launch Caribbean flying from back in the day when airplanes that had the correct number of seats for the islands market didn't have the range to do it from the Northeast or the mid coast hubs direct. Now that a 319 or 190 can make it from New York or Philly or Atlanta direct, there isn't much need for hub flying to the mid and north Caribbean out of south Florida, other than the O/D traffic.

Been to STL recently?

FLL was a great place to launch Caribbean flying from back in the day when airplanes that had the correct number of seats for the islands market didn't have the range to do it from the Northeast or the mid coast hubs direct. Now that a 319 or 190 can make it from New York or Philly or Atlanta direct, there isn't much need for hub flying to the mid and north Caribbean out of south Florida, other than the O/D traffic.

Must be a market for it. JetBlue says those markets mature in 6 months and subsidize domestic growth that can take two years or more to mature. I doubt Spirit, JetBlue, and soon Southwest would be duking it out down there if there wasn't money to be made.

Must be a market for it. JetBlue says those markets mature in 6 months and subsidize domestic growth that can take two years or more to mature. I doubt Spirit, JetBlue, and soon Southwest would be duking it out down there if there wasn't money to be made.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, isn't that what got the airlines in trouble? Lack of capacity control?

How nice it must be to sit at a keyboard and challenge a parent's decision on parenting.

Especially coming from some that are not themselves parents.

I am no CC fan, but no member of this community deserves to have his/her parenting decisions judged by other members, short of absolute negligence and harm directed towards the child.

How nice it must be to sit at a keyboard and challenge a parent's decision on parenting.

Especially coming from some that are not themselves parents.

I am no CC fan, but no member of this community deserves to have his/her parenting decisions judged by other members, short of absolute negligence and harm directed towards the child.

There are those that would argue that 'lap children' on jets IS absolute negligence. The data is there.

Or there's The Dude and his toolbox, which is appropriate, as CC is a total toolbox.

I'd ask you to show me your data because a scene from a movie isn't going to cut it, but your toolbox comment renders anything else you say as imbecilic. I encourage anyone else concerned to post news links/stories about BIAs being killed or hurt in aviation accidents in which adults live. If I truly let my conservative engineer self take over my child's life, I'd probably never let him out of the house for his own safety. But like all parents, I find a good safe balance.

There are those that would argue that 'lap children' on jets IS absolute negligence.
That's not really saying anything. There are also those in this country who would argue that gays adopting children is absolute negligence in our predominantly Judeo-Christian society. I'm not in that boat but it goes to show that just because you think something it does not mean your train of thought is correct, and therefore someone who disagrees with you is a bad person. No.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, isn't that what got the airlines in trouble? Lack of capacity control?
How large of a presence does Sw have in FLL now? Their recent attempts at turning an airport haven't always turned to gold like they had In the past.

Zap sorry to hijack your thread. I'm not sure what to say. I know you wrote you were at Airtran and furloughed and went to US Airways. Imagine having taken the Airtran recall, look where that would lead to today. Or the US Airways recall and where that would have lead to today. But the benefit of hindsight isn't available. We all make decisions based at the current moment in time and do what we think is best. As for your current choices, I wouldn't know what to tell you except to do what's best for your family.

All,

Make your points here without unnecessary personal attacks, for those who are doing it . I don't understand why that's so difficult.

Zap,

Switch to rotary wing.

Continue.

Yeah, I know quite a few Jerzy snowbirds that swear by Spirit. Bitch about the experience but brag about the prices.

I would imagine a seasoned Spirit or Allegiant passenger likely knows how the ticketing process works, exactly what amenities they want or don't want to purchase, what level of service they desire to buy, and what they want to do for baggage; hence they likely know just how to craft all of that into the price that meets their budget. ULCCs work for them; unlike some first timers who don't know how all of the aforementioned items work, then complain when they don't receive expected regular airline coach or better level service, for a bargain basement price.

Last edited:
Back