Are we on the precipice of another lost decade?

I can't tell you how a job that was literally four people, a mid-tier bar four-top, some drinks, some notes on a bar napkin and executing a plan the next morning at 0800 became a team of 30 people, MS Teams meetings to figure out when the actual meeting was going to be, positive space tickets to HQ, catering, "one pagers"/executive summaries, running things past 'legal' and costing and, at the end of the day, the plan went stale and never gets executed until your competitor executes it and "we need to scramble and regroup, so lets have a Teams meeting to figure out what the strategy is"… Yeah, there's some 'fat'.

I have stories. SOOOOO many stories.

Big business anywhere. If/when you give people expense accounts/cards, they are going to create that fiefdom and bloat like you read about. Some guy might be going to jail for 100 years as an extreme example of this, somewhere else. I've seen it, from an entirely desk flying perspective, with my own charge card. But such is also the "QOL" that is expected in that type of work.

I can't tell you how a job that was literally four people, a mid-tier bar four-top, some drinks, some notes on a bar napkin and executing a plan the next morning at 0800 became a team of 30 people, MS Teams meetings to figure out when the actual meeting was going to be, positive space tickets to HQ, catering, "one pagers"/executive summaries, running things past 'legal' and costing and, at the end of the day, the plan went stale and never gets executed until your competitor executes it and "we need to scramble and regroup, so lets have a Teams meeting to figure out what the strategy is"… Yeah, there's some 'fat'.

I have stories. SOOOOO many stories.
UUUGHH!!

I don't consider Flight Ops management here to be very bloated, but for reasons I cannot quite put my finger on things move SO SLOWLY. The line thinks they're not being listened to, but in reality HQ hears them loud and clear (usually). It's just that to make any little change takes FOREVER.

I'm very accustomed to working in a bureaucracy, but this is something else and I'm trying to put my finger on it because it doesn't seem like it has to be this way.

Now FedEx negotiated a deal for their pilots to go to work for PSA? This is bonkers.
A change to the retirement age or the 1500 hour rule could quickly result in a glut of job seeking pilots and, by supply and demand lower the market rate for pilots industry wide.

This stuff happens every decade or two. PSA running Jets4Jobs for FedEx this time. Just because it’s stupid doesn’t mean it’s new.

Not accusing OP of it because I think it's a level-headed thought but what is it with people's doom fetish? I've been hearing about the "career ending recession" since I got into the airlines I feel like. I guess if you keep saying it eventually you can go "see?! I was right!"
Economists predict 9 out of every 5 recessions.

Pilots on forums love doing the same.

Big business anywhere. If/when you give people expense accounts/cards, they are going to create that fiefdom and bloat like you read about. Some guy might be going to jail for 100 years as an extreme example of this, somewhere else. I've seen it, from an entirely desk flying perspective, with my own charge card. But such is also the "QOL" that is expected in that type of work.

My A flight attendant tonight just told me why Seattle melts down every snowstorm. He used to be one of our rampers:

Our rampers pick up second jobs on the deice truck and move their schedules around to be able to do both jobs. It’s a great way to pick up money when there is no deicing going on or just light fuel frost.

Then the whole system melts down and the rampers get a mandatory you better show up at ramp we need errryyybody! Now the fuel trucks have no staff because the rampers call out sick.

Seems easy to solve but it might not legally be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now FedEx negotiated a deal for their pilots to go to work for PSA? This is bonkers.
A change to the retirement age or the 1500 hour rule could quickly result in a glut of job seeking pilots and, by supply and demand lower the market rate for pilots industry wide.

This stuff happens every decade or two. PSA running Jets4Jobs for FedEx this time. Just because it’s stupid doesn’t mean it’s new.
FedEx didn't negotiate anything. This was a PSA/AA scheme and the VP of flight ops kicking the bees nest before negotiations start tomorrow. If they really wanted to get rid of pilots they would work directly with the legacies.

Economists predict 9 out of every 5 recessions.

Pilots on forums love doing the same.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out where we’re headed. Since March 2020, we print way too much money, propped up the stock market, caused rampant inflation, and then a Fed that reacted way too late. The only reason we didn’t have a recession sooner is because Americans kept doing what Americans do best - spending tons of money on chit they don’t need. But all indicators are that is slowing down.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out where we’re headed. Since March 2020, we print way too much money, propped up the stock market, caused rampant inflation, and then a Fed that reacted way too late. The only reason we didn’t have a recession sooner is because Americans kept doing what Americans do best - spending tons of money on chit they don’t need. But all indicators are that is slowing down.

You’re right. You should probably pull the offer off the table on that house you were trying to buy because it is waaaay to expensive and more sq footage than you really need.

You’re right. You should probably pull the offer off the table on that house you were trying to buy because it is waaaay to expensive and more sq footage than you really need.

What does this have to do with what I wrote?

And you should give that advice to these people…

Weren’t you complaining recently about housing prices in Southern California, and didn’t you also have a fairly large ( considering prices ) square footage requirement?
If you really felt the prices were too high you’d put your money where your mouth is and not contribute to the values. Or maybe look at homes and condos in the 1200-1600 sq ft range if you were serious about buying in to the market at a price that is more acceptable to you.

I was responding to this part.

“Americans kept doing what Americans do best - spending tons of money on chit they don’t need.”

Do you need, or just want a large house?

Except it’s almost like it’s a lot more complex than this and that’s why Wall Street has struggled so much at their 24m predictions of when the recession will come, if there will be a hard or soft landing, the significance etc.

And actually over the last 3-6m the projections have completely changed to show many of the perma-bears of the market were way off. Some of the perma-bears have completely flipped even too.

But like I said - pilots are economists. So proceed…

Except it’s almost like it’s a lot more complex than this and that’s why Wall Street has struggled so much at their 24m predictions of when the recession will come, if there will be a hard or soft landing, the significance etc.

But like I said - pilots are economists. So proceed in telling us!

Just because it’s Wall Street doesn’t mean they know either.

Forget that I’m a pilot. I’m just telling you, as a person, that we are in for a hurting for 2024.

• Haha
Reactions: HJB

Agree with your point in general but this guy should have looked at the housing market in the area prior to accepting a cross country move.

Agree with your point in general but this guy should have looked at the housing market in the area prior to accepting a cross country move.

Zero sympathy. Bought and sold 3 homes? How much you wanna bet he bought low and sold high for each of the 3 properties? People like him helped drive prices to what they are.

Zero craps given. No one says you “have” to have a 3,100 sq ft home (hey, I already got told that). To that guy I say, suck it up and deal with what you LITERALLY helped sow.

Back