The New York Times gets the pilot "shortage" 80% right

Well said.

I'm very fortunate to have this unique perspective... The biggest whiners I've ever come across in this industry have never had a job outside aviation. They think everyone else has a two hour lunch, banker hours, no late evenings, and blissful, stress free evening at home. I'm here to tell you, that is a unicorn.

Great observation! As you know I was a "career changer" too and come to think of it I often saw the same thing. Sometimes a little non aviation career perspective helps. Of course some people are just naturally whiny and entitled.

RJ Captain at a decent regional isn't always a bad gig. I had some very good years doing it! I'm not saying it is or should be the end game of a pilot's career either.

Last edited:
Great observation! As you know I was a "career changer" too and come to think of it I often saw the same thing. Sometimes a little non aviation career perspective helps. Of course some people are just naturally whiny and entitled.

RJ Captain at a descent regional isn't always a bad gig. I had some very good years doing it! I'm not saying it is or should be the end game of a pilot's career either.

I've had a couple of pretty awesome careers / jobs before I became a pilot. They are out there. But it's all about perspective. Life would be much, MUCH different if I had stuck with either one of them, and not necessarily in a good way.

There are tons of people who want to fly airplanes that are licensed, but the idea of leaving a comfortable, reliable office job and diving into "the churn" of the regional business in hopes of one day hitting a major is unattractive for a growing number of people.

Guilty.

The 700-800 hour sweet spot, lol....

That's a good one.

Never seems to be a shortage of airline apologist propaganda spreaders.

Wake me up in 2025 and the article will read the same as it did in 2005, 1995, 1985.....zzzzzzzzz.

Back