Consultant Sees Scope Relaxation Coming for US Airlines

That's the question. Fewer passengers flying due to high fares means fewer pilots making in general, and fewer pilots making the big $$.

If the airlines get the fares up, fewer people will fly, and there will be fewer pilots making the big $$ again.

Essentially, making air travel for the mass consumer means airline pilots being a less well paid job. It also means no gourmet dinners in coach too. A lot has changed since the 60s and 70s, but the benefit of it all is that more of us can be aviation professionals, and more of the public can travel on an airliner.

Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is up for discussion, I suppose, but it ain't going back to the way it was.

While I agree with the direction you are heading, I also see the negative side to it. Yes, there are more pilot positions available. But it's not about creating more and more jobs, it's about being able to support a family and a decent QOL with the jobs available.

I would rather have to fight, and claw my way to one of a few jobs that start at $75k and move from there to potentially reach that $400k mecca (After inflation and all that of course :rolleyes:) then to just have a job waiting for me when training is done but only make $20k and SLOWLY rise from there. I know everyone here is talking supply and demand and it is true; Fewer pilots= Less jobs= better pay. I think we all agree with the needed outcome for this to happen, some just feel the ends do not justify the means while others do. YMMV. :rawk:

Millions of americans manage to have a family and good quality of life despite not being major airline pilots. How is this possible?

Millions of americans manage to have a family and good quality of life despite not being major airline pilots. How is this possible?

Which millions? I don't know millions of people, I know a few people. Please explain which people or professions you are speaking of. What are their salaries? What is their COL where these millions live. Is it just one city? What job requirements and licensing are required?

The last decade has shown that contracts and scope is not jobs. People and things needing to go from A to B is jobs

Supply and demand is part of it. What we're talking about is not letting Delta farm out flying to Pinnacle, Mesa, Comair, etc. If it says Delta on the side of the plane, it should be flown by Delta pilots working for Delta. The scope section of a contract defines these rules. Without it, all the major airlines would just be paper airlines that passengers book their travel through and then wind up flying on the lowest bidding regional airline. It would be like buying a McDonald's hamburger but being served Swanky Joe's because they either pay a fee to McDonald's or work for the cheapest price. People are still gonna eat the burgers, so the supply and demand is there. The question is, who is going to serve them and what will the ingredients be? The 50-76 seat market has already flown, so I doubt that will be going back under the mainline banner. What we're talking about is keeping the DC-9s and the 737-500s from being parked in favor of lower wage jobs at the regional level. People still go to from A to B, but the jobs that exist aren't as good as the ones that used to be there. THAT'S scope.

O&M said:

It also depends on your idea of quality of life, too. How many of those people working in those jobs have mounds of debt they had to pile on just to get their first job? How many of them would lose their job if they got major illness? If Bill has a bad day at the office, does he die and take 50-200 people with him? We CAN go down this road, but I think you'll find in comparison airline pilots lag WAY behind those people you're mentioning in QoL and pay.

Like Matt, I think it's a little out of left field to expect $500k a year. $150-200k by the time I've been doing this for a decade? I don't think that's unreasonable.

Which millions? I don't know millions of people, I know a few people. Please explain which people or professions you are speaking of. What are their salaries? What is their COL where these millions live. Is it just one city? What job requirements and licensing are required?

Who knows what they do or what they make. All I know is that I've been all over this country, seen lots of nice neighboorhoods, and met lots of people who are enjoying their lives. I've only met a couple of airline pilots, and they were complaining about their jobs.

My point is that it's possible to live good life on less thatn what a major airline pilot makes. It's all in your choices.

So basically, your rationale is that we should go, say, a physicians website, go into some threads where there are doctors complaining about Medicare reimbursements and say, "Millions of people are doing quite well with their lives without being doctors and well, the industry forum that you're on, well, stop complaining?"

This is an industry website.

We're talking about issues which affect our profession.

All things are not equal and just because the guy down the street is more than happy being a trash collector does not mean that we should not strive to make our profession better for the people that make their livings doing it.

I'm not simply here having an academic discussion about "how much is enough", I'm here to talk with other industry professionals about how to make things better for us.

Yeup, there are starving children in Ethiopia but this isn't the site.

Supply and demand is part of it. What we're talking about is not letting Delta farm out flying to Pinnacle, Mesa, Comair, etc. If it says Delta on the side of the plane, it should be flown by Delta pilots working for Delta. The scope section of a contract defines these rules. Without it, all the major airlines would just be paper airlines that passengers book their travel through and then wind up flying on the lowest bidding regional airline. It would be like buying a McDonald's hamburger but being served Swanky Joe's because they either pay a fee to McDonald's or work for the cheapest price. People are still gonna eat the burgers, so the supply and demand is there. The question is, who is going to serve them and what will the ingredients be? The 50-76 seat market has already flown, so I doubt that will be going back under the mainline banner. What we're talking about is keeping the DC-9s and the 737-500s from being parked in favor of lower wage jobs at the regional level. People still go to from A to B, but the jobs that exist aren't as good as the ones that used to be there. THAT'S scope.

It also depends on your idea of quality of life, too. How many of those people working in those jobs have mounds of debt they had to pile on just to get their first job? How many of them would lose their job if they got major illness? If Bill has a bad day at the office, does he die and take 50-200 people with him? We CAN go down this road, but I think you'll find in comparison airline pilots lag WAY behind those people you're mentioning in QoL and pay.

Like Matt, I think it's a little out of left field to expect $500k a year. $150-200k by the time I've been doing this for a decade? I don't think that's unreasonable.

I couldn't agree more with Kellwolf. On a side rant, pilots ourselves are allowing this to happen. I always hear we're taking it back from mainline, but when? I do not want to fly a RJ for the rest of my career. I don't want to fly a 737/A320/E-190/C-Series for sub par wages for the rest of my career also. How many RJ guys/gals are willing to take a furlough or career halt for a while to get the majors back to where they were? +1 here!

Who knows what they do or what they make. All I know is that I've been all over this country, seen lots of nice neighboorhoods, and met lots of people who are enjoying their lives. I've only met a couple of airline pilots, and they were complaining about their jobs.

My point is that it's possible to live good life on less thatn what a major airline pilot makes. It's all in your choices.

Sure, they have nice houses, nice cars, etc. What's their debt to income ratio? You do realize that a LOT of those people are in over their heads, right? I know a "few people," too. I also see nice neighborhoods. Most of those neighborhoods have "For sale: REDUCED!!!" signs in the front yards. The real estate ads are full of "motivated sellers" and "must sell now" deals. Unless you've got harder facts than what you've presented so far, it's a weak argument at best.

I could have really nice house and a new hybrid tomorrow. All I have to do is go into debt up to my eyeballs and get behind a few months. If I'm lucky, the government might even bail me out before my wife leaves me for a female tennis instructor.....

McDonald's doesn't make and sell hamburgers. McDonald's franchisees do. So whose to say who should or shouldn't fly make that hamburger or fly that plane?

I'm well aware of your definition of scope. And I'm saying that doesn't matter. What ultimately provides a job for an airline pilot is the need for a person or thing to be moved by air. All the scope in the world won't save a job if the need isn't there. A market prices is what creates the need.

Lots of people have education loans, lots of people rely on their health to keep their job, lots of jobs can result in death if mistakes are made.

It's also true that one does not HAVE to take out an education loan. One need not enter a profession where their health is a factor. One can choose a lower risk job.

You made those choices despite the lay of the land. Don't like how things are? Look in the mirror.

Awww. I don't suppose any of those guys were ones who've been downgraded, or furloughed, or working on their 9th or 10th gig still not making more than 50k, loaded with, a 10 year guy with United losing their job again, or... wait I'm sorry, I forgot who I'm talking to.

You have a certain expectation for pilot's attitudes. You have some experiences that have dictated your views. Unfortunately you don't actually have any factual information to bring to the table, just superficial views. So then, I infer, you are not here to bring facts you're just here to complain about other people complaining about their jobs. You bring a lot to the table, let me tell you (no not really), though I am impressed you've met millions of people and have deeply delved into the happiness of their lives. You must be a professional people meeter. Does that pay well? Any job openings?

So basically, your rationale is that we should go, say, a physicians website, go into some threads where there are doctors complaining about Medicare reimbursements and say, "Millions of people are doing quite well with their lives without being doctors and well, the industry forum that you're on, well, stop complaining?"

This is an industry website.

We're talking about issues which affect our profession.

All things are not equal and just because the guy down the street is more than happy being a trash collector does not mean that we should not strive to make our profession better for the people that make their livings doing it.

I'm not simply here having an academic discussion about "how much is enough", I'm here to talk with other industry professionals about how to make things better for us.

Yeup, there are starving children in Ethiopia but this isn't the site.

Amen... I know O&M is trying to share another point of view, but it is a view that we get most days that we go to work from our management, so it is really not a new view for most of us. Therefore, many have already heard, evaluated, and decided this. Sorry if it seems we are short or closeminded... The fact is we are tired of the broken record. If, I wanted that I would read airliners.net and listen to the pilot haters there.

Mr. Taylor, you make a good point. I guess I didn't do a very good job of making mine. My point was that most people earn less than the typical airline pilot, and yet they own homes, have families, and live a decent life. If non-pilots can do it, why not pilots?

Sure, they have nice houses, nice cars, etc. What's their debt to income ratio? You do realize that a LOT of those people are in over their heads, right? I know a "few people," too. I also see nice neighborhoods. Most of those neighborhoods have "For sale: REDUCED!!!" signs in the front yards. The real estate ads are full of "motivated sellers" and "must sell now" deals. Unless you've got harder facts than what you've presented so far, it's a weak argument at best.

I could have really nice house and a new hybrid tomorrow. All I have to do is go into debt up to my eyeballs and get behind a few months. If I'm lucky, the government might even bail me out before my wife leaves me for a female tennis instructor.....

Heh, you're asking for a lot man.

I'd like to bring Max into this conversation, I think this guy is projecting something. He watches the world go by and sees so many wonderful and happy people, millions apparently, but all of us pilots are the problem. He tells you to look in the mirror in the next post, I'm not so sure that's what he's saying

Mr. Taylor, you make a good point. I guess I didn't do a very good job of making mine. My point was that most people earn less than the typical airline pilot, and yet they own homes, have families, and live a decent life. If non-pilots can do it, why not pilots?

I'm sorry I haven't done the reading you have. What is the median income of american's living in large cities, and whats the median income of the regional pilot and major airline pilot. I'm sorry, I also missed your point? about the typical airline pilot; which income bracket is the typical airline pilot?

I'm curious, have you done any cross analysis of the "typical airline pilot" medical issues and licensing requirement vs a typical young professional.

McDonald's doesn't make and sell hamburgers. McDonald's franchisees do. So whose to say who should or shouldn't fly make that hamburger or fly that plane?

You are aware the the franchise DO make and sell hamburgers per McDonald's standards, right? They also have to buy their supplies from McDonald's. Those rules really don't exist at the airline level.

I'm well aware of your definition of scope. And I'm saying that doesn't matter. What ultimately provides a job for an airline pilot is the need for a person or thing to be moved by air. All the scope in the world won't save a job if the need isn't there. A market prices is what creates the need.

If you say 100 seat scope stays at the mainline, the travel demand will still be there. It's not going away. We've seen prices already climbing thanks to bag fees, change fees, etc. Amazingly, flights are still full to capacity. Now, if you let the scope for 100 seat planes go to the regionals, those better paying jobs? They're gone. The supply and demand will still be there, but do you think the ticket prices will fall because suddenly the route is flown on an E190 by XYZ Air instead of a Delta MD-88? Nope. The flying public still pays the same for an inferior quality product.

Lots of people have education loans, lots of people rely on their health to keep their job, lots of jobs can result in death if mistakes are made.

How much do those people make? We're talking facts here, not "I know someone" or "I've seen it on TV." If a corporate CEO or mid-level manager becomes seriously ill, he misses a lot of work, but most will still retain their jobs. Airline pilots, in all likelihood, not only lose their current job, but any future jobs they may be striving for.

It's also true that one does not HAVE to take out an education loan. One need not enter a profession where their health is a factor. One can choose a lower risk job.

Yep, but good luck using your "millions of people have good QoL" argument without a college education in a low risk job.

You made those choices despite the lay of the land. Don't like how things are? Look in the mirror.

I do, and that's why I'm trying to change things and fight for my career. I'm still wondering what YOUR background is. What do you do for a living? Where did you go to school? What are you hoping to get out of Jetcareers?

In the interest of fairness, I'll even go ahead and answer my own questions. I'm a regional captain hoping to move on to either a major carrier or one of the better low cost carriers in the near future. My main goals are to live comfortably and be able to support my family in a stable (or as stable as an airline can get) environment. I recently graduated from ERAU via on-line classes, took out as few loans to do so as possible, and I did my flight training at an FBO in Orlando, another FBO in Arlington, TX and I flight instructed at the same FBO in Texas until being hired on at my current airline. I first came to Jetcareers back when I was working on my instrument looking for advice and fellow pilots to talk to. I found a LOT more than that. I've learned the good and bad, positive and negative and the ins and outs of the airlines thanks to the good people on this website. I went into this whole airline thing with my eyes open, which is a lot better than I would have if I had listened to the recruiters that were talking to me from the big flight academies in Orlando. Networking through here not only got me my CFI job, it also helped me make decisions on my current employer (first calls I made when I got the interview offers were to other JC members in the industry). JC also provides leads on potential employment opportunities further up the chain as well as an exchange of information between myself and others employed at the other regional carriers. Much as we'd like to think so, we do NOT exist in a vacuum in this industry.

What it sounds like you're saying is "Supply and demand trump all, do what your employer wants and be happy you have a job." Then you tell me to look in the mirror? You're advocating a "don't rock the boat" attitude and then saying people should feel responsible because of the career choice they made. Tell that to the US Airways guy that's staring at retirement.

So, I'll ask again: why ARE you here?

And I'm gonna underline Joe's point. How much DOES a "typical airline pilot" make? Now how much do "most people" earn? What is your definition of "decent life?" I own a house, have a family, and some might say I have a "decent life." Personally, I'd rather have a bit more financial security, be able to save for retirement and not live paycheck to paycheck. I'd also like to not live in fear of my job disappearing because regional ABC undercut mine. That's where that scope you say doesn't matter comes in.....

And I'm gonna underline Joe's point. How much DOES a "typical airline pilot" make? Now how much do "most people" earn? What is your definition of "decent life?" I own a house, have a family, and some might say I have a "decent life." Personally, I'd rather have a bit more financial security, be able to save for retirement and not live paycheck to paycheck. I'd also like to not live in fear of my job disappearing because regional ABC undercut mine. That's where that scope you say doesn't matter comes in.....

Who wants to lay odds he comes back with a Cohen quote about our pay?

Back