ExpressJet Tells United to Reduce Flying

saxman

I find this a little over the top, but what to my friends at XJT think? Just from blog I came across. If true, negotiating tactic?

http://crankyflier.com/2014/02/10/e...-reduce-express-flying-due-to-pilot-shortage/

The impact of new rest rules and higher minimum hour requirements for commercial pilots in the US continues to have bigger and bigger implications. Last week, I wrote about the severe issues Great Lakes was facing, but now it’s much larger ExpressJet that’s being forced to reduce its flying… though there’s something a little fishy here.

This revelation stemmed from my post on United’s decision to blame the new pilot rules for the timing of the announced dismantling of the airline’s Cleveland hub. I had reached out to ExpressJet, United’s largest partner in Cleveland and one of its largest regional feeders overall, to see if the airline was forced to cancel flying due to a pilot shortage.

I heard back from Jarek Beem at the airline with the following. (The response didn’t arrive until after the post went live, so if you read it before I could update, you may not have seen this.)

While the new pilot qualification rules implemented in August 2013, along with the compounding effect of the new FAR117 flight time and rest requirements, have created an increased need for pilots industry-wide, ExpressJet Airlines continues to attract qualified pilots.

Seems pretty straightforward, right? Well the next afternoon, the story changed abruptly when Jarek sent me a follow-up:

Brett, Your story doesn’t fully reflect the situation regarding ExpressJet’s flying on behalf of United Airlines. While ExpressJet continues to attract qualified pilots, we did in fact inform United in January that we need to reduce our planned United Express flying. ExpressJet’s situation is by no means unique in the regional industry.

Well that’s a different story. Apparently this pilot issue is worse than anyone thought if ExpressJet can’t even fly its full schedule. ExpressJet isn’t at the bottom of the pay scale by any means. Sure a first year first officer flying 80 hours a month will barely clear $22,000 a year but that jumps $10,000 in the second year and goes up from there. Captains make significantly more. Pilots won’t get rich there, but it’s a huge improvement in pay over an airline like Great Lakes.

That could mean one of two things is happening here. Either this pilot issue is a permanent one that’s becoming very big, very quickly to the point where it’s impacting mainstream regionals or it’s temporary and ExpressJet simply wasn’t prepared for the new regulations and didn’t hire enough. If it’s the former, then that’s scary for the whole industry. If it’s the latter, then that just adds to the strangeness of the situation.

If it is indeed temporary, then it shouldn’t require United to shut its hub several months out from now. It’ll just take a little time to get more pilots onboard. But then again, if that is the case, it could just be another convenient excuse for United.

That might also explain why the story changed so quickly. Maybe someone over at United gave ExpressJet a nudge. I’m very confused by this. Adding to the confusion is that United spokesperson Rahsaan Johnson sent me a note (and left a voicemail) shortly after my post went live about what I had written. Though I was traveling, we did have an email exchange. In that, Rahsaan said this.

With Cleveland’s continuing losses, yes, there was a chance of future reductions, but there were no predetermined plans. You focus on ExpressJet and Commutair and don’t consider the fact that we operate with a half-dozen more regional operators across North America. The pilot-hiring issues industrywide, not just for one or two regional carriers with significant operations in Cleveland, drive the need to reduce regional flying nationwide. The right thing to do for the business is to reduce the most challenged markets and concentrate the remaining flying in more profitable markets.

Though it doesn’t explicitly say it, this to me makes it sound like ExpressJet wasn’t the one having issues and I was looking in the wrong place.

The only thing we now know for sure is that ExpressJet has indeed told United it has to reduce flying. Whether that is just a temporary issue or not remains unclear. Anyone else have any theories on this one?

"Hmmmm how can we find a cause to reduce the fleet of 50 seaters?"

Hired gun: "OK, you're overly burdened by turrble gubment anti-capitalism rules of FAR 117, preventing you from competing while at the same time trying to 'sharpen your pencils' to 'remain relevant and competitive' and prevent unreasonable cost increases due to additional work rules and exorbitant pay demanded by the union. So we start by selling the Part 117 part. The rejected TA, which we usually use first, will be saved for later in the 'unwilling to be a partner in an unstable and challenging environment' press release. It'll all work out, just don't be idiots and award bonuses & pay raises to top management until the 'unprecedented', 'groundbreaking' 'industry leading' CBA is complete. That'll be $5 million. Thanks. I take American Express, Diner's Club or Cashier's check"

This has been coming for some time. Hell, it was openly discussed in high level meetings that "We will be in trouble in 2014." That was before 117 and the 1500 rule, which only has added to the staffing problem.

Here we are.

I LOL'd. Watching the supposed 'non-shortage' shape the business plans of major airlines makes me giggle.

What happened to the 'eating popcorn smilie'? :stir:

Saw this coming the moment United announced reduction of flights in CLE! This is coordinated effort by UA and SkyWest Inc.

Our CEO at Republic announced the same thing this morning. Reducing United E140 flying, and basically reducing/eliminating the American Chautauqua flying. He mentioned this would be a rapid process from March to August.

Our CEO at Republic announced the same thing this morning. Reducing United E140 flying, and basically reducing/eliminating the American Chautauqua flying. He mentioned this would be a rapid process from March to August.

2014 is going to be a very INTERESTING year. We are not even halfway through February and the dominoes are falling. I'm sitting next to Firebird eating popcorn and watching the movie. Haven't even past the opening scene and we have fireworks!

Yup the near future is going to be very interesting for the regional industry.

Would be nice to see ALPA national help take advantage of the chaos.

I think this is a desperate play to staff the 175 flying Republic is doing for AA. Word is they're saying they'll be in breach in a month or two due to staffing.

I think you said it best one time with the statement...

"It's like being mugged by the Three Stooges."

Haha...

It really is. I was talking to a union rep once, and asked him his impression of the people running the company. He said, "some days, you're really impressed with how things get done to make sure a company with so many moving parts keeps moving. Other days, you can't believe that the people in front of you are running anything, let alone an airline."

There's nothing mythical or magical about airline management. They're people, racking up numbers and pushing stuff around like anybody else, and they're just as prone to getting their ass handed to them by circumstance and bad decisions.

What I'd like to know is how they can't staff the ERJ United flying, but the Delta ERJ flying is fine? :rolleyes:

55 mins on hold with crew scheduling...one prior phone call to me that dropped out, call immediately back and this is what they call the super regional?

Check schedule when I get to a computer and a TBD is on my schedule...hah. Nice. Perhaps answer your phones.

Supposed to start a 4 day tomorrow and all my flights tomorrow are cancelled.. But I'm not about to call them to sit on hold all night and get no where.. They'll figure it all out tomorrow.

They still run this place as if we are flying twin otters to Macon

Last edited:
Back