SWA a stepping stone airline

We pay cash for all our cars. My wife has the "nice" car. It's a 5 year old Subaru. My son has a 6 year old Chevy Volt.

I drive the 18 year old Pontiac Vibe.

Might be getting close to replacing the Pontiac. Not sure what with though.

What a boring airline captain you are. How are you going to make FOs feel bad, living the way you live? You need to finance a Corvette and jet skis immediately sir.

What a boring airline captain you are. How are you going to make FOs feel bad, living the way you live? You need to finance a Corvette and jet skis immediately sir.
Don't worry he's a 121 Cappy now... He can be cheap about airport coffee, as he buys a 150K car, 200K boat, 3 jetskies, and 2 investment properties near Ocala.

1703860467529.gif

Once the TA ratifies…

True to a point, but firstly, I am impressed at his dedication.....it is way more than my own, and I consider myself to be more frugal than most. And on that note, I drive a 20 year old car as my daily/airport car. It's German and has good bones, but I spend a lot (though WAY less than $20k cumulatively) here and there, maintaining it as well. I'll probably jinx myself here, but a breakdown on the freeway going to work has never been at the front of my mind. Treated well, old cars can live long lives. Which I'm sure you know. It just bears repeating.

I take care of my cars, and I generally drive them until the economics make it upside down to continue doing so. Change the oil, get the recommended inspections, do the interval MX, etc.

Granted, my daily driver doesn't get worked too hard, since it's a 2009 and has about 75k on it. But it is an overly complicated beast, and if it swallows a valve, trashes a wastegate actuator or blows as seal, as they are know to do, it's a big, big check, even at a shadetree. Right now it needs a new battery, an oil change, proactive replacement of the cooling pump (WTF, and electric water pump?!?) and an inspection, and I'm looking at least $2500 to get that done.

I do feel that new cars are somewhat of a rip-off, but that being said, the used car process is so fraught with peril, freaks, scammers and other plain shenanigans, it's just work the premium to me to stroke the check and drive away.

Granted, my daily driver doesn't get worked too hard, since it's a 2009 and has about 75k on it. But it is an overly complicated beast, and if it swallows a valve, trashes a wastegate actuator or blows as seal, as they are know to do, it's a big, big check, even at a shadetree. Right now it needs a new battery, an oil change, proactive replacement of the cooling pump (WTF, and electric water pump?!?) and an inspection, and I'm looking at least $2500 to get that done.
My "copilot" car is wonderful and is equivalently babied and meticulously maintained. (67k miles or so. Nice living in walkable places and basically using the thing as a glorified grocery getter...)

My "copilot" car is wonderful and is equivalently babied and meticulously maintained. (67k miles or so. Nice living in walkable places and basically using the thing as a glorified grocery getter...)
When I lived downtown and took my car in for service they'd always be like "umm, is this right? It's been 900 miles since your last oil change."
"Yeah, but that was 7 months ago"

Back