Off-duty pilot on Southwest flight steps in to help after pilot becomes ill while flying

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!

“A credentialed Pilot from another airline, who was on board, entered the Flight Deck and assisted with radio communication while our Southwest Pilot flew the aircraft,” said airline spokesperson Chris Perry. “We greatly appreciate their support and assistance.”

He waited his whole life for this moment…

a8b7d9522c4ba615880fab1e2ffa16d0.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did the ATOPS course 12-years ago on the 738 at Continental (weekend pinch hitter course for fun on 737 systems/sim). I joked with my wife that I was good to spring into action if a pilot were to get ill. On my DFW-TPA leg back from that weekend the flight attendant asked "if there's a doctor on board, could you come to the front of the aircraft." I was like "holy * it's happening!" Turns out it was for a pax in business class :p

Remember during the lost decade when NetJets was one of the most sought after jobs? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

It was only sought after because it was a union jet job hiring when everyone else was furloughing. I would have loved NJA too if it was choosing that or eating out of a dumpster and sleeping under an overpass.

Remember during the lost decade when NetJets was one of the most sought after jobs? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Circa 2008, desperately trying to get out of Comair, I was able to score an interview with them. Two weeks before my interview they called and told me to be patient they were pushing back interviews to a later date. Two weeks later they announced furloughs were coming.

Back