SWA a stepping stone airline

It’s true. Seeing a lot of Skywest folks coming to WN, spending 4-6 months, and then heading out to greener pastures. Over the summer it was unusual to fly with an FO who didn’t have an interview or a CJO elsewhere. It does seem to have slowed down over the last couple of months though.

It’s true. Seeing a lot of Skywest folks coming to WN, spending 4-6 months, and then heading out to greener pastures. Over the summer it was unusual to fly with an FO who didn’t have an interview or a CJO elsewhere. It does seem to have slowed down over the last couple of months though.

The music beginning to stop? Find a seat time?

It was the same at F9 a few years ago...almost 50% of my FO's were waiting on a class date with a Legacy, I constantly got "why are you still here". Well it worked and I should have listened years ago.

after the AiP I assume the attrition will slow/stop...but who knows.

It’s hard to feel any sympathy for WN when they required people to buy they own type rating JUST to interview. Eff em

Yeah but it’s been a long time since that was true. They dropped that requirement way before this.

I’m two months into the current gig and I’ve been asked where else I want to go more than once. And twice today.

I seriously want to stay put.

If commuting completely sucks and I’m miserable I’ll consider my options but my commute is about as easy as it’s possible to be, and in terms of time on the clock it’s the same as if I was driving to IAD so I’m like…nah? I’m happy?

Too soon to tell.

It’s hard to feel any sympathy for WN when they required people to buy they own type rating JUST to interview. Eff em
Technically we didn’t require you to buy it, just to have it.

I got mine by actually flying the 737 for another airline for example.

That policy ended almost a decade ago. But yeah. Your point is well taken.

Yeah but it’s been a long time since that was true. They dropped that requirement way before this.

I’m two months into the current gig and I’ve been asked where else I want to go more than once. And twice today.

I seriously want to stay put.

If commuting completely sucks and I’m miserable I’ll consider my options but my commute is about as easy as it’s possible to be, and in terms of time on the clock it’s the same as if I was driving to IAD so I’m like…nah? I’m happy?

Too soon to tell.
You‘re still in the honeymoon phase. 🥰

It isn’t just there, it is happening everywhere to get to the legacies. Common advice over on another page is if the legacy you want isn't calling, jump to a LCC or ULCC, get the type and once you update your app, ring ring ring -> CJO.

I'm just a lowly regional dispatcher but run in circles with enough pilots to get why they do it.

They'll fly for their regional (be it wholly owned or independent) and try going from UX to UA or QXE to AS only to get passed up for other less qualified candidates that came from other carriers.

Pilots aren't the only ones that have that issue. I've seen several people leave the regional dispatch environment to go do a stint with an ULCC or Cargo op to get on with the legacy that their regional operates for.

Back