Some dummy taking off vfr and picking up an ifr. Only no vfr

Itchy

Is around. Some anus did this when I was flying right over the airport he said was VFR. There was no way, no how, it was even close. What do you do?

Re: Some dummy taking off vfr and picking up an ifr. Only no

Is around. Some anus did this when I was flying right over the airport he said was VFR. There was no way, no how, it was even close. What do you do?

Were you in the airplane with him? Oh, no you were not? Then you don't know if he was VFR. What does the metar say about that airport at that time? Honestly, who cares?

Redeye_Surface_to_Air_Missile_01.jpg

Alert the media! ...then post it on Jetcareers!

Were you in the airplane with him? Oh, no you were not? Then you don't know if he was VFR. What does the metar say about that airport at that time? Honestly, who cares?

Just for argument sake, it does happen and it does matter. I was going into an uncontrolled field on the ILS (was reported 200 1/2 on the ASOS) just at the final approach fix when a TCAS target popped up right in front of us coming off the field climbing. We had been making position reports on CTAF for the last 10 minutes and never heard this guy. I still had the Center freq on the second radio and heard him call center "just off airport XXX at 1000 feet looking for his IFR clearance to where ever".

Thankfully center got him radar contact quickly and turned him out of the way so we continued and landed about 2 minutes after he took off and the field was still 200 1/2. Sure, I SUPPOSE there could have been a hole that opened up for those two minutes and he climbed out in it, but it's not very likely.

Was it a huge safety issue? No, not really. With TCAS and EGPWS we can avoid most stuff out there and vector ourselves if we have to, but it's not very legal nor smart. We all are supposed to play by the rules and when somebody doesn't it makes life very difficult for those that do.

"Oh yessir, I was clear of clouds the whole time!"

(yeah, right, sure.)

Sounds like an ADM problem. Be glad you didn't hit him. Now, if it happens a LOT...

Imagine user fees for an IFR departure being more than picking up a clearance in the air.

This would be happening on a daily basis all over the place.

Meh... Alright. Guess the rules only apply to some. I for one would never do it, but for some I guess???

There was no way he got out VFR or climbed through the overcast VFR.

Meh... Alright. Guess the rules only apply to some. I for one would never do it, but for some I guess???

There was no way he got out VFR or climbed through the overcast VFR.

Depends, was it Golf or Echo?

I'll depart IMC from a Golf field if I can't reach approach on the ground, though cellphones make this kind of moot these days. It would be nice if there were a system to issue a clearance via cell txt...

VFR from echo is also kosher, but if it is close - I'll call and get a clearance anyway. Fine line between being abundantly cautious and shutting down the field when you don't need to.

I'd call the Feds and not rest until the rule-breaker was breaking rocks in the hot sun.

Not really.

I'd say something unpleasant to him on the radio and go about my merry way. Life's too short to worry about all the billions of people who might, through their blind stupidity, arrogance, or ignorance, make it even shorter.

Back