Purple Vacancy Posting

Totally been there! It can be so frustrating. Hopefully this is the year for you!

I strongly feel that it will be, thanks! Things seeeeeeeem to be moving the right direction, I'm cautiously optimistic! If a couple more stars align and nothing still happens... then I'm at a total loss as to how one gets hired in this industry.

I strongly feel that it will be, thanks! Things seeeeeeeem to be moving the right direction, I'm cautiously optimistic! If a couple more stars align and nothing still happens... then I'm at a total loss as to how one gets hired in this industry.

It used to piss me off beyond belief when people would tell me this, so I apologize in advance... But it will happen and most likely at once. Just keep working towards it when you can (obviously you have to have a life as well).

I had basically tried everything to get an interview with a major. Job fairs, application reviews, volunteering, upgrading at the first chance (which involved commuting to reserve), switching to a new airplane after I got 1k TPIC, etc. Nothing happened, and I almost gave up trying anymore. I even contemplated leaving the industry, I was so frustrated. Shortly afterwards I had multiple interviews and offers from my top two places I wanted to work at since I was a student pilot.

It’s really crazy, and I still don’t understand it. But I do know you have to keep trying, and you will eventually be successful. Every single one of my friends that has had this mindset eventually moved on!

FWIW, at NGPA 2018 I had a nice chat with them, after a friend made an introduction to the recruiter for me. Recruiter was super nice and friendly, but basically told me to pound sand until I get 1000 TPIC, so we just chatted about non-job things. On the plus side, hopefully we'll have a good chat again this year and I'm pretty damn close to 1000 now, so.... We'll just see!

I received the invite 48 hrs after ngpa this past year.. I had a verrrryy similar experience as yours and I had hit the 1000 mark a few days prior. I turned that into a positive by suggesting I had picked up a few extra trips in the months prior to ensure I had the thousand for ngpa because I knew it was important to them. It was well received as it showed motivation and understanding of/willingness to meet, their standards. One of the little things that I think helped me, hopefully it will be of use. If you have their desired pic time and some extra curriculars with no major skeletons, you are certainly competitive. Good luck and let me know if I can help. Its a great place to be!

It used to piss me off beyond belief when people would tell me this, so I apologize in advance... But it will happen and most likely at once. Just keep working towards it when you can (obviously you have to have a life as well).

I had basically tried everything to get an interview with a major. Job fairs, application reviews, volunteering, upgrading at the first chance (which involved commuting to reserve), switching to a new airplane after I got 1k TPIC, etc. Nothing happened, and I almost gave up trying anymore. I even contemplated leaving the industry, I was so frustrated. Shortly afterwards I had multiple interviews and offers from my top two places I wanted to work at since I was a student pilot.

It’s really crazy, and I still don’t understand it. But I do know you have to keep trying, and you will eventually be successful. Every single one of my friends that has had this mindset eventually moved on!
I remember you going from “I can’t take it, my head won’t beat this wall into submission, what’s the point, to ... woah, it finally happened, that light in the tunnel wasn’t actually a train after all”. Truly awesome and hopefully inspiring to all the folks here who are feeling frustrated. Well done and a truly exemplary model of perseverance and hard work that’s paid off.

I remember you going from “I can’t take it, my head won’t beat this wall into submission, what’s the point, to ... woah, it finally happened, that light in the tunnel wasn’t actually a train after all”. Truly awesome and hopefully inspiring to all the folks here who are feeling frustrated. Well done and a truly exemplary model of perseverance and hard work that’s paid off.

Hey ima let you finish, but...

I don't know if that has anything to do with getting a brass ring job in this industry. I've seen people who seemed to half ass the process and walked into an amazing job, and others who are amazing people with stellar resumes who can't get a call.

The only thing I will say is that I think the airlines are better are sorting us than we are of sorting ourselves. It doesn't matter if you want to work at delta, because unless delta wants you to work there, you might end up retiring from United.

Hey ima let you finish, but...

I don't know if that has anything to do with getting a brass ring job in this industry. I've seen people who seemed to half ass the process and walked into an amazing job, and others who are amazing people with stellar resumes who can't get a call.

The only thing I will say is that I think the airlines are better are sorting us than we are of sorting ourselves. It doesn't matter if you want to work at delta, because unless delta wants you to work there, you might end up retiring from United.
That’s not just the airlines, that’s life.

But when somebody puts in the effort, and overtime for that matter, and wins, they deserve an attaboy. Life, business, and industries aren’t fair, let’s celebrate the wins.

What’s the saying? Luck is nothing more than opportunity meeting preparation. That doesn’t treat everybody equally.

I received the invite 48 hrs after ngpa this past year.. I had a verrrryy similar experience as yours and I had hit the 1000 mark a few days prior. I turned that into a positive by suggesting I had picked up a few extra trips in the months prior to ensure I had the thousand for ngpa because I knew it was important to them. It was well received as it showed motivation and understanding of/willingness to meet, their standards. One of the little things that I think helped me, hopefully it will be of use. If you have their desired pic time and some extra curriculars with no major skeletons, you are certainly competitive. Good luck and let me know if I can help. Its a great place to be!

Nice job! I think your attitude certainly was a big help. It is what it is, but there's zero 117 way I can hit 1000 TPIC before NGPA, (721 right now, think I'll be about 780 at the event), but I ought to be there by May. ALPA volunteering hits my block time hard w/ events I have to go to and occasionally getting bought off stuff or preblocked out, but I've been picking up every leg of extra flying I can to try to maintain about a 60 block hour a month average. I managed to hit 87 in December but I can't really keep that up.
TPIC and TT is my biggest obstacle to being competitive right now, IMO - 3500TT and 721TPIC - Busted initial private and initial CFI almost 10 years ago, no tickets for 10 years, no DUI or arrest. No 121 failures. I have been Central Air Safety Chair about a year, Vice Chair of Central Air Safety and Scheduling chair before that, ASAP ERC for 18 months which I still do.
3.889 GPA from ERAU Worldwide while flying full-time, dual minored in Aviation Safety and Management, volunteering at a local food bank when I can squeeze it in, volunteering for NGPA on the Advocacy Committee. Assisted the NTSB on an investigation. Just scored an interview for Line Check Airman, so that's definitely giving me an optimistic feeling my efforts and work will pay off. Usually the feedback I get from recruiters is "go fly more." If I land the LCA gig, I think that's about the only thing I can do to be more competitive that doesn't involve "go out and airplane". Might hit the flight time a bit too, but I think it's something I'll really enjoy doing as I like teaching and mentoring.

I never thought I would purposely bypass being a 757 Captain to stay an FO. It is a good time to be here.

Alex.

That’s awesome, good times! I wish I could see what a typical schedule looks like on the 75, I’ve heard there is a lot of variety..

Nice job! I think your attitude certainly was a big help. It is what it is, but there's zero 117 way I can hit 1000 TPIC before NGPA, (721 right now, think I'll be about 780 at the event), but I ought to be there by May. ALPA volunteering hits my block time hard w/ events I have to go to and occasionally getting bought off stuff or preblocked out, but I've been picking up every leg of extra flying I can to try to maintain about a 60 block hour a month average. I managed to hit 87 in December but I can't really keep that up.
TPIC and TT is my biggest obstacle to being competitive right now, IMO - 3500TT and 721TPIC - Busted initial private and initial CFI almost 10 years ago, no tickets for 10 years, no DUI or arrest. No 121 failures. I have been Central Air Safety Chair about a year, Vice Chair of Central Air Safety and Scheduling chair before that, ASAP ERC for 18 months which I still do.
3.889 GPA from ERAU Worldwide while flying full-time, dual minored in Aviation Safety and Management, volunteering at a local food bank when I can squeeze it in, volunteering for NGPA on the Advocacy Committee. Assisted the NTSB on an investigation. Just scored an interview for Line Check Airman, so that's definitely giving me an optimistic feeling my efforts and work will pay off. Usually the feedback I get from recruiters is "go fly more." If I land the LCA gig, I think that's about the only thing I can do to be more competitive that doesn't involve "go out and airplane". Might hit the flight time a bit too, but I think it's something I'll really enjoy doing as I like teaching and mentoring.

FedEx should be having their Expo in May. It is ostensibly not a hiring event, but it seems like a decent opportunity to show interest, especially in this hiring environment.

Reminds me, @Derg, is Delta planning to fire up the Expo machine again any time soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Fedex still giving guys a second chance? Allegedly some who didn't get the green light the first time around have been getting another shot.

Is Fedex still giving guys a second chance? Allegedly some who didn't get the green light the first time around have been getting another shot.

DAL for example has a 6-12 month waiting period if you get a TBNT on a previous app. Their reasoning is that it takes about a year for anything about your app to substantially change. I'd imagine most companies have a similar process, though I can't speak to FEDEX. That also doesn't speak to an interview failure, if that is what you were asking.

That’s awesome, good times! I wish I could see what a typical schedule looks like on the 75, I’ve heard there is a lot of variety..
There are typically a few different types. Theres the weekend layovers (my choice)- a few hub turns followed by a Sat through Mon layover with maybe another hub turn after the weekend. Usually works out to a week on/week off schedule. There are lines where you have front and back end deadheads and then spend four to seven days doing hub turns through the other regional hubs (IND, EWR, AFW, GSO). There are some shotgun lines that have a little bit of everything (some daytime weekend departures, night hub turns, deadheads in or out, etc) but those are typically hell for commuters. Reserve lines are either RA (from midnight to noon), RB (noon to midnight), or R24. The 757 gets grief because it does a lot of pairings with multiple stops to small stations before you get to the hotel so its comparatively more work for less pay. If you can hold your home city as a layover it's not so bad.

Gypsy are you Purple, Brown, or Beachball?

Back