Kalitta Air Info (K4)

Can anyone tell me about the Compass test at K4? Is there any prep software that is similar to what they use that you’d recommend?

Fellow JC members.

Good morning. I know Kalitta isn't currently hiring. But I wanted to ask a couple of questions and maybe someone here with insider information would know. 1. Would they consider FE time in total time? (about 1000 hours of C-5 FE time). And would they consider ME turbo prop time? I have about 3000 pilot, of which 1600 is King Air 350 time.

Thanks.

Fellow JC members.

Good morning. I know Kalitta isn't currently hiring. But I wanted to ask a couple of questions and maybe someone here with insider information would know. 1. Would they consider FE time in total time? (about 1000 hours of C-5 FE time). And would they consider ME turbo prop time? I have about 3000 pilot, of which 1600 is King Air 350 time.

Thanks.
I think they are hiring.

Does the flying or schedule differ much at Kalitta vs Atlas? I've read in plenty of places Atlas 747 pilots complaining about how grueling their schedule is. Is that cause its Atlas, or is that cause its ACMI, and everyone in that world has to deal with it?

Also, do the 777's and 767's have more schedule stability since they are dedicated to a customer and aren't ad hoc like the 747's can be?

Has anything changed much with the company since jhugz's last post?

They're trying a new scheduling system but that's about the only major change I can think of. It really only used for bidding but once you start work everything goes out the window.

747 - March - June I was blocking between 96-105 hours every month so I would say it's just as grueling as Atlas. And I'm the kind of guy that would rather sit in one city for a few days, I never call scheduling asking to fly I'd rather get lost in the system for a week. Kalitta is short staffed so expect a lot of minimum overnights and legal days off (1 in 7).

767 - As far as they never break guarantee and don't block as much. But it's still the all night hub style flying so to each their own about how they feel doing that.

777 - I've heard they're flying a lot of hours but that was earlier this year not sure if it's settled down or not. They pretty much exclusively fly to the same 7(?)destinations. For the 747a lot of the airplanes are doing China runs, while there can be variety don't expect much.

They're trying a new scheduling system but that's about the only major change I can think of. It really only used for bidding but once you start work everything goes out the window.

747 - March - June I was blocking between 96-105 hours every month so I would say it's just as grueling as Atlas. And I'm the kind of guy that would rather sit in one city for a few days, I never call scheduling asking to fly I'd rather get lost in the system for a week. Kalitta is short staffed so expect a lot of minimum overnights and legal days off (1 in 7).

767 - As far as they never break guarantee and don't block as much. But it's still the all night hub style flying so to each their own about how they feel doing that.

777 - I've heard they're flying a lot of hours but that was earlier this year not sure if it's settled down or not. They pretty much exclusively fly to the same 7(?)destinations. For the 747a lot of the airplanes are doing China runs, while there can be variety don't expect much.

Thanks for that info. I've heard in a few places that hub turns aren't for everyone. Why is that?

I have an interview with Atlas, and my app in at Kalitta, amongst other places. Still not convinced I want to do the ACMI thing, but if I do, Kalitta seems like the place to be. That is, unless somehow the new Atlas contract ends up being crazy good, but sounds like it won't be.

Thanks for that info. I've heard in a few places that hub turns aren't for everyone. Why is that?

I have an interview with Atlas, and my app in at Kalitta, amongst other places. Still not convinced I want to do the ACMI thing, but if I do, Kalitta seems like the place to be. That is, unless somehow the new Atlas contract ends up being crazy good, but sounds like it won't be.

Check your PMs

Hiring is continuing in all fleets mostly due to attrition. Told during the CP meeting they're running a class every 3 weeks.

They still looking for the published “minimums”? Ie, 4000tt, 1500 “Jet” time, 500 “jet” PIC, etc?

Last edited:
Dang, if they’d take turbine time Id have an app in soon. Oh well. Seems like a good place to hang ones hat.

You can’t win the lottery without playing. Submit an app, worst thing that happens is they don’t call. Biggest thing I flew before K4 was a Brasilia. I know they’ve hired turboprop only guys in the past. Ive been here 5 years now and it is a decent place to hang your hat until one of the big boys call.

You can’t win the lottery without playing. Submit an app, worst thing that happens is they don’t call. Biggest thing I flew before K4 was a Brasilia. I know they’ve hired turboprop only guys in the past. Ive been here 5 years now and it is a decent place to hang your hat until one of the big boys call.

Good point. Thanks for the advice

Does anyone have a good link for route information for jumpseating? Specifically interested in VCP. Thanks.

Back