Pro Helo Pilot Forum

Full of fuel about 30 gallons we get about 3- 3 1/2 hours. I always plan about 7- 8 gallons an hour. This leaves me enough room to " stay out of the flow of fixed wing traffic." I am currently trying to get my PIC signoff in the R-44, I am between driving the 22 and 44. I did get a couple of hours in the Schweizer that was cool but flew kind of like a tractor. I wouldn't mind getting more hours in it but no one really flies them anymore. This makes the CFI outlook not so good.
When you guys plan do you try to stay single engine capable? If not how is it to auto the Chinook?As far as the future I am probably going to the Gulf of Mexico to fly oil rigs. I wouldn't mind flying tours in Alaska but just depends on what time of year I hit 1000 hrs. EMS would be my ultimate goal but I have always been told fly alot then go EMS cause you don't fly much then.

We can stay single engine capable up to a point, but at max gross we either have to cut slingload or dump cargo off the ramp. Autos are only done in the simulator, and are challenging to say the least. The halfway decent glide you'd get out of a bell 206 is non existent in a chinook... the thing drops like a rock. But there is usually a way to be able to fly single engine - even if you can't hover or maintain altitude you can usually bring it in for a roll on landing above ETL.

Did you see in the PTS that they did away with fulldown autos for the CFI checkride? I am just wondering when they will stop teaching them all together. I think the experience of a full down is something that every pilot needs.

Really!!??? Geez! I did a bazillion of those in flight school! Hell, that was half of primary training. So what... they are just going to do autos with a recovery at the end??? Crazy. How are people going to know how to do it for real?

Traditionaly they only do full downs in CFI training but the DPE's were getting out of the aircraft during the practical because thet were getting hurt and killed during checkrides.

Really? I had no idea. I assumed everyone did touchdown autos like the Army did. Weird.

Scotty... if this ends up being only you and me in here I think this helo forum is going no where!:mad:

I know the feeling I do enjoy being able to pick your brain though.

I was talking to my buddy in AK, I guess he got stuck in the LSE shop and hasn't flown but 20 hours in the last few months. How that must suck

scottyboy75 said:
Another Chinook question if you don't mind, what do the rotor pedals do to trim out the ship?

Heck if I know!

Kidding. Since the Chinook has two main rotors and no tail rotor the cyclic, thrust (collective), and pedals all essentially do the same thing. They all change the pitch of the main rotor blades.

Dang... gotta go to work... will be continued in a bit...

As I was saying, all the controls go through a "flight controls closet" (a bunch of hydraulic actuators separating inputs into pitch, thrust, roll, and yaw) and into a complex mechanical mixing unit in the forward pylon.

As to what the pedals actually do, they sort have the same effect as the cyclic. They change the pitch at one point in the rotor system on one or both rotors (depending on the position of the cyclic) to effectively tilt the rotor system to bring the aircraft into trim.

All these inputs can let the aircraft to some pretty interesting things. For example, at a hover I can pivot around the nose, center or tail by displacing the cyclic during the pedal turn. For example, if I input full right pedal and leave the cyclic neutral, the disks will tilt in opposite directions creating a turn about the middle. If I input full right pedal and left cyclic, I'll create a turn about the nose. The forward rotor will remain level and the aft rotor will turn left.

WOW. I always knew those things were cool. I got my confirmation in the mail yesterday for the Robinson safety course. One more step knocked out for the CFI.

scottyboy75 said:
WOW. I always knew those things were cool. I got my confirmation in the mail yesterday for the Robinson safety course. One more step knocked out for the CFI.

Awesome! I'd love to get a CFI - Helo add-on if I could find a place nearby who has helicopters.

Oh, and usually we don't have to worry about trim at all because we have an Advanced Flight Control System (AFCS) that holds heading, bank angle, airspeed, turns to headings via a bug, and holds trim. A monkey could fly that thing, really. Unless the AFCS is out, then it feels like hovering a tail rotor aircraft when you are hovering AND in foward flight. Frickin' sucks.

Back