Pro Helo Pilot Forum

Ian_J

Hubschrauber Flieger
Hey... ever thought about having a professional helicopter pilot section on this forum? I've checked out some helo forums and nothing is as good as JC.

Professional helo pilots have to jump through a lot of hoops like airline guys (especially civilian trained guys), and a good forum with good info could really help out.

Just a thought! :cool:

You nust have seen Just Helicopters. The arguments that happen here are nothing compared to what goes there. Thats why I visit this often. The advice given seems applicable to us too.

Yeah... and I don't know if it's just me, but the helo sites seem full of arrogance. Not a lot of help and info. Helo-drivers and especially wanna-be helo-drivers need a site like this.

I do like Vertical Reference. It just does not seem as tight knit as this community. The "other" one in order to ask a question you have to defend yourself as just a Robbie driver.
In another question do any of you guys that are dual rated feel it gives them an advantage in either corporate or EMS?

scottyboy75 said:
In another question do any of you guys that are dual rated feel it gives them an advantage in either corporate or EMS?

A CFI I used to work with was hired here and was hired into the Hawker I believe. He was a heli CFI as well, had around 2000TT I believe with about 1000 of that being in a 300 cb.

Last I talked to him, he hoped to transition to one of their helicopters. That was part of his intention in going there, at least.

I know CJ systems and Air Methods use both rotor and fixed but I do not know what their thoughts are about duallity.

scottyboy75 said:
I do like Vertical Reference. It just does not seem as tight knit as this community. The "other" one in order to ask a question you have to defend yourself as just a Robbie driver.

Hmmm... hard to say. I'm still in the Army and CFI airplanes part time. Once I get out I suppose I'll see. The problem is that for hiring purposes both sides don't give a damn about the other hours. My hundreds of hours as PIC in multi engine turbines don't mean squat to airplane people.

It would be awesome to work for a flight school that did planes and helos though.

Don't let anyone give you sh*t about being "just" a robbie driver. I know a lot of Army pilots who take their training for granted. You are clearly dedicated doing it all on your own with your own cash.

Most of the guys who are saying that either forget where they came from or were in the Army and never there. The cool thing about flying Robbies at altitude is power managment. Unlike you big guys we have to concern ourselves with being at max gross. It's sad when you can only carry 16 gallons of fuel. The cycle pretty much looks like this fly to pinnacle land, shoot approach to one more land, head back for fuel. I think most of my time these days is either on my way to get fuel or on the way from getting fuel.
I do know of some schools that have both. The school I got my PPL rotor at has a fixed wing side. In fact after I got my license I started flying planks there. It was so busy on the heli side that I don't think those CFIs would have been able to fly planes if they wanted to.

Maximillian_Jenius said:
You doin the same about a possible ATC forum!?

ATC forum wopuld be awsome, is there/was there plans to make one?

I for one would love a Helo forum. My freind tells me about how his Heli rating is going and it sounds really fun. Its something I would love to do one day. Not my choice, but Id say go for it!!!

I personally think it would be just awesome for a jet careers site to have a better helo forum than an actual helo forum! :rawk:

I know we have a couple helo guys on here already, and it seems to be a good mix between military and civilian guys... and it really wouldn't take long to migrate others over.

Plus, the cross-pollination between airplane and rotor guys could be interesting... everyone would learn a lot I think.

ChinookDriver said:
I personally think it would be just awesome for a jet careers site to have a better helo forum than an actual helo forum! :rawk:

I know we have a couple helo guys on here already, and it seems to be a good mix between military and civilian guys... and it really wouldn't take long to migrate others over.

Plus, the cross-pollination between airplane and rotor guys could be interesting... everyone would learn a lot I think.

Would be very nice for the JC community, with the JC arguing mixed into the JC informative, you couldnt beat it!

Cross pollination? Whats the cyclic? is it kinda like the trottle?:D

scottyboy75 said:
Most of the guys who are saying that either forget where they came from or were in the Army and never there. The cool thing about flying Robbies at altitude is power managment. Unlike you big guys we have to concern ourselves with being at max gross. It's sad when you can only carry 16 gallons of fuel. The cycle pretty much looks like this fly to pinnacle land, shoot approach to one more land, head back for fuel. I think most of my time these days is either on my way to get fuel or on the way from getting fuel.
I do know of some schools that have both. The school I got my PPL rotor at has a fixed wing side. In fact after I got my license I started flying planks there. It was so busy on the heli side that I don't think those CFIs would have been able to fly planes if they wanted to.

We routinely operate at max gross! Our training consists of a lot of slingload practice where we carry 18,000lb cement blocks. That puts us right at our max of 50,000 lbs. I've done plety o' missions where my torque was at 100% and our TOT was maxed out in the OGE hover and had to use very, very gentle forward speed to get through ETL.

Empty on the other hand, is a different story all together. That thing just zooms when we're at 32,000 lbs. :rawk:

When empty and in cruise, how many hours of flight does that 16 hours get you? I have a theory that ALL helicopters have the same endurance, no matter the size. When empty and in cruise, the Bell 206, The Apache, the Blackhawk, and the Chinook will all get about 3 hours give or take a little. And in the Chinook, it takes 1023 gallons to do it!

HELO DRIVERS - Check in!

And in the spirit of JC "discussing" maybe hosting a helo pilot area, how about all the helo-drivers out there checking in with the equipment they're flying, they're current job, and what they eventually want to do.

I'll start it off:

Chinooks, (obviously)
Army, (obviously)
And I would really love to fly EMS one day, if I stick with helos. CFI-ing airplanes is a lot of fun right now, so we'll see!

On the ATC forum, I've talked with our sole controller we have on the board and the take he has on it that there really isn't a lot of interest on the ATC side.

I'm still considering both, but it's about mid-way down on the 'short list'.

Doug Taylor said:
On the ATC forum, I've talked with our sole controller we have on the board and the take he has on it that there really isn't a lot of interest on the ATC side.

I'm still considering both, but it's about mid-way down on the 'short list'.

I know a guy from KBOS and a Guy from KPHL, who might be interested in helping you out, PM me if your interested.

Back