Oh Kona...

I flew in there a few times over the last 6 months or so and didn't notice a thing. However BOS 33L I thought the airplane was gonna come apart and that runway is going gangbusters lol.

KOA 01/019 KOA RWY 17/35 CLSD 2401160222-2401170230

So closing an airport's only runway for a little over 24 hours is an "indefinite" closure now.

I realize this was probably updated at some point and there could've been an UFN for the end time previously.

KOA 01/019 KOA RWY 17/35 CLSD 2401160222-2401170230

So closing an airport's only runway for a little over 24 hours is an "indefinite" closure now.

I realize this was probably updated at some point and there could've been an UFN for the end time previously.
Is the end time a place holder for now?

This may have been back in the 74-200 days but a management Capt blew tires making the mid-field turnoff there. I always made it a point to just let it roll at KOA.

I still remember an old squadron executive officer (XO) of mine, who apparently (unbeknownst to the rest of us) insisted on always checking the emergency brakes when pulling out of the parking line. This involves releasing the parking brake (the normal procedure) and then rotating that handle clockwise 90 degrees and pulling it back out to engage the emerg brake system. You always do a brake check with the normal brakes as you begin taxiing away, but checking the e-brake function is a checklist item on the FCF profile after you have left the line, not normally done on any other type of sortie. He was an FCF pilot, as were many of us, but I guess he thought this was a good habit for every flight. The downside of this "technique" is that if you forget to reset the handle and re-engage the normal braking system, you lose anti skid and any sort of normal brake application much above taxi speed will almost assuredly blow one or both the mains. And on this flight, with him landing right behind me after FCLP's, I hear him tell tower "uhhhhh tower, I'm gonna need a tow off the runway". Silly goose had forgotten to de-select the emergency brakes, touched down, braked at a normal pressure on the brake pedals, and blew both mains immediately. Those sad tires sat in the hangar, right by the door to mx control, for weeks. I don't know if he ever lived it down. Though he did end up at Delta :)

(and for the record, he's a great dude)

Last I heard is that they are waiting to get official measurements of runway available to see if they can at least get the aircraft stuck there back out.

Screenshot_20240115_225219_Instagram~2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115_225219_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115_225219_Instagram.jpg
    924.9 KB · Views: 12
Up here in New England, that's minor unevenness. The city won't even fill the pothole unless it can swallow a road cone.

They don’t want to fix the roads. It’s all a conspiracy by Moog, BorgWarner and big suspension companies to sell more ball joints, tie rod ends and control arm bushings.

- A real statement made by someone when talking about the quality of roads during an overnight.

I'm going to vent a little here. I used to have a place on the Big Island south of Kona. I don't know how to explain it but thing just are just different in Hawaii. How they run things. When you hear about "Hawaii time", it's no joke. Things that are taken for granted most places just don't get done over there out of laziness. I'd bet that runway is FOD checked daily and they never wanted to do anything about it until some Capt said it was unsafe and this is the result. Thousands of people inconvenienced. After 4 years I couldn't take it anymore and spend my winters in Kalifornia now. It's so much better....haha.

I'm going to vent a little here. I used to have a place on the Big Island south of Kona. I don't know how to explain it but thing just are just different in Hawaii. How they run things. When you hear about "Hawaii time", it's no joke. Things that are taken for granted most places just don't get done over there out of laziness. I'd bet that runway is FOD checked daily and they never wanted to do anything about it until some Capt said it was unsafe and this is the result. Thousands of people inconvenienced. After 4 years I couldn't take it anymore and spend my winters in Kalifornia now. It's so much better....haha.

mañana does not mean tomorrow, it only means not today

Throwing lots of cold water on our eventual plan to have a condo/house on the big island in the future!

When I was laying over anywhere in Hawaii, watching the local news, it was always weird how each island had massively-overlooked sanitation problems they've spent millions on fixing and, well, nothing ever got fixed.

Beautiful state, beautiful people, but it feels like it's run by the government of Puerto Rico.

I got a bit of a rundown on public corruption in Hawaii the last time I was out there and, well, yeah. Good interesting intrigue. :)

Back