Oh Kona...

When I was laying over anywhere in Hawaii, watching the local news, it was always weird how each island had massively-overlooked sanitation problems they've spent millions on fixing and, well, nothing ever got fixed.

Beautiful state, beautiful people, but it feels like it's run by the government of Puerto Rico.
IMG_2313.jpeg

This section of TJSJ has been closed for about 4 years. There is construction equipment there every so often but I can’t imagine how it is still under construction?

The PHL 27L displaced threshold is pretty tough too. My coffee cup launched out of the holder during the other guy's takeoff at around 60 kts the other day. I caught it but almost a coffee spill disaster.

I'm going to vent a little here. I used to have a place on the Big Island south of Kona. I don't know how to explain it but thing just are just different in Hawaii. How they run things. When you hear about "Hawaii time", it's no joke. Things that are taken for granted most places just don't get done over there out of laziness. I'd bet that runway is FOD checked daily and they never wanted to do anything about it until some Capt said it was unsafe and this is the result. Thousands of people inconvenienced. After 4 years I couldn't take it anymore and spend my winters in Kalifornia now. It's so much better....haha.

Arranging maintenance for a transient piston single was always an adventure.

Hey man I'm glad the waves were great this morning, wish I could have seen them but I was here waiting for you.

Dude did have the coolest mobile workshop built into an old rental car shuttle van, though... gave me ideas!

You always do a brake check with the normal brakes as you begin taxiing away
The Bus had that as a procedure before taxiing (to check the brakes) which I always thought was funny because they don’t teach you what to do if they don’t work.

But then on the Guppy it’s just full send till the first corner :D

Last edited:
The Bus had that as a procedure before taxiing (to check the brakes) which I always thought was funny because they don’t teach you what to do if they don’t work.

But then in the Guppy it’s just full send till the first corner :D

The brake check at the start of taxi isn't to see if the brakes work, but rather to make sure you are on the primary brake system and not on the alternate brake system. That's why you watch the triple indicator when you do it to make sure there is no rise in psi. If you do get a movement on the guage, it's a mx item.

Last I heard is that they are waiting to get official measurements of runway available to see if they can at least get the aircraft stuck there back out.

As long as there is enough room for a 717 arrival by March Id be good.... ;-)

As long as there is enough room for a 717 arrival by March Id be good.... ;-)

Last edited:
They don’t want to fix the roads. It’s all a conspiracy by Moog, BorgWarner and big suspension companies to sell more ball joints, tie rod ends and control arm bushings.

- A real statement made by someone when talking about the quality of roads during an overnight.
Despite some of the highest state and gas taxes here in California we also rank near the top for poor roads. Some industrious folks figured out a way to gain the attention of local officials, they just graffiti the road around the offending surface defect so it looks like a, or some, genitals. This seems to get the people that fix the roads attention fairly quickly although I'm uncertain how much longer it will still be considered offensive. The art I've seen on the roads makes me appreciate the creativity of our youth. I'll never look at a pothole the same way.

Back