Did this merit an Interview?

C172Flyer

A commercial flight diverted to Victorville, CA after attempting several approaches into a windy and gusty Las Vegas night. With fuel becoming a concern, the decision was made to divert to Ontario, CA (although no alternate was listed on the release). Running low on fuel, the flight could not continue to Ontario and had to divert to Victorville in the middle of the night, and with the local FBO closed for the day, options and resources were limited on how to attend to the diversion on the ground. The crew was limited by their legalities, and the flight attendants were new. An attempt was made to arrange ground transportation for the passengers and crew to the nearest airport served by the airline (Ontario, CA) but given the late hour, the prospect of such arrangements was null. The airline’s options were becoming limited with each passing moment, and there seemed to be no clear solution. By pure coincidence, a former employee of the airline (Operations Agent) at the time flew into Victorville in a rented Cessna C172 with a fellow friend and noticed the diverted plane there. The ex-employee got in contact with the airline’s dispatch department and advised them that he was at the scene and ready to assist in any manner possible. Knowing this, the dispatch team contacted the FBO’s manager and had him go to the airport so that the ex-employee could print off a paper copy of a release, allowing the flight to be dispatched from Victorville back to Las Vegas. A fueler was also called in after hours to load the plane with the proper fuel load for the short flight. Due to the quick response of the ex-employee during the situation and conducting the required tasks on the ground in Victorville, the flight was able to depart mere minutes before the crew timed out.

The reason why the employee had resigned from the airline was to attend a Dispatch course and obtain his Dispatch License. He had worked for the company for almost 6 years. The employee was recognized by the CEO and had a photo op after his actions during that night. A few months later, the employee did not make it to a final interview for the dispatch position he was seeking after not passing a phone screening, during which he wasn’t asked anything about dispatch, nor did the recruiter seem to know anything about his involvement in such an event.

Several new hire classes have passed in which a great number of internal candidates were accepted into the dispatch department.

Did such an employee deserve a final interview with his involvement in such a situation, or was this fair game?
IMG_4180_Original.jpeg

Just because someone does something good at one point does not mean they are qualified or a good fit for a job. Failing the phone screening means the hiring people believed there was an issue somewhere either in his resume or personality.

It is a good lesson though. Dont go above and beyond expecting rewards in return. There is no requirement of repaying the favor.

One could argue they got an interview because what is a "phone screening" if not for a first round interview?

One could argue they got an interview because what is a "phone screening" if not for a first round interview?

If the airline doing the phone screening is the one in the picture, it is not unheard of for them to get dozens upon dozens of internals with double to triple the six years experience and numerous accolades during their years of service applying to the job. That is to say that while the candidate in the OP went above and beyond, the same is most likely true for many more applying for same job.

Its a large pool of candidates that want a similar reward for service performed during employment with the company.

If I performed CPR on the CEO, I don't think that would get me an interview for the position.

It's an airline, if the flight had cancelled they wouldn't have cared except for whatever negative PR it got. Airlines strand people in inconvenient locations sometimes.

We're talking about the same company that hired a full dispatch class just before Covid. Covid hits and instead of furloughing them to come right into class say a year later. They let everyone go. Then they did not rehire a single person from said class when hiring resumed. Last update I had was a little more than a year ago so maybe there may have been a change of "heart" but as far as I know not single person from that class had been hired.

A commercial flight diverted to Victorville, CA after attempting several approaches into a windy and gusty Las Vegas night. With fuel becoming a concern, the decision was made to divert to Ontario, CA (although no alternate was listed on the release). Running low on fuel, the flight could not continue to Ontario and had to divert to Victorville in the middle of the night, and with the local FBO closed for the day, options and resources were limited on how to attend to the diversion on the ground. The crew was limited by their legalities, and the flight attendants were new. An attempt was made to arrange ground transportation for the passengers and crew to the nearest airport served by the airline (Ontario, CA) but given the late hour, the prospect of such arrangements was null. The airline’s options were becoming limited with each passing moment, and there seemed to be no clear solution. By pure coincidence, a former employee of the airline (Operations Agent) at the time flew into Victorville in a rented Cessna C172 with a fellow friend and noticed the diverted plane there. The ex-employee got in contact with the airline’s dispatch department and advised them that he was at the scene and ready to assist in any manner possible. Knowing this, the dispatch team contacted the FBO’s manager and had him go to the airport so that the ex-employee could print off a paper copy of a release, allowing the flight to be dispatched from Victorville back to Las Vegas. A fueler was also called in after hours to load the plane with the proper fuel load for the short flight. Due to the quick response of the ex-employee during the situation and conducting the required tasks on the ground in Victorville, the flight was able to depart mere minutes before the crew timed out.

The reason why the employee had resigned from the airline was to attend a Dispatch course and obtain his Dispatch License. He had worked for the company for almost 6 years. The employee was recognized by the CEO and had a photo op after his actions during that night. A few months later, the employee did not make it to a final interview for the dispatch position he was seeking after not passing a phone screening, during which he wasn’t asked anything about dispatch, nor did the recruiter seem to know anything about his involvement in such an event.

Several new hire classes have passed in which a great number of internal candidates were accepted into the dispatch department.

Did such an employee deserve a final interview with his involvement in such a situation, or was this fair game? View attachment 77546
IMO, Simple answer: Yes.

My question is Why do you ask? Seems any reasonable company would just skip the second interview, run a drug/criminal bkgrnd check, and hire the fella. I kinda think this fella already did his interview and literally demonstrated his "above and beyond" "elevator story" that dark night out in the desert.

Still, I know... I KNOW! The Humn Resuckitation Department has it's, er, "process" and, "That guy didn't give me a harumph!"

I also know that there are vanishingly few "reasonable" companies anymore. Most companies spend more time and money on CYA gymnastics than on actually building products or offering services.

Last edited:
We're talking about the same company that hired a full dispatch class just before Covid. Covid hits and instead of furloughing them to come right into class say a year later. They let everyone go. Then they did not rehire a single person from said class when hiring resumed. Last update I had was a little more than a year ago so maybe there may have been a change of "heart" but as far as I know not single person from that class had been hired.

Nearly every person from that class has since been hired back.

Another airline cancelled a class on people far in the process, same effect...just a week or two sooner. Another airline wanted to furlough 35% of the seniority list. Another airline wanted to fire, not just furlough, everyone on probation. Another airline imposed hour/pay reductions ranging from 25-50% depending on seniority. Government aid prevented some of that from actually happening, but it was tough times across the board. I don't think the airline in question deserves any particular ill will. I know of one for sure from that class that has been rehired and the poster above me says many have and is probably more in the know than I am.

IMO, Simple answer: Yes.

Still, I know... I KNOW! The Humn Resuckitation Department has it's, er, "process" and, "That guy didn't give me a harumph!"

I also know that there are vanishingly few "reasonable" companies anymore. Most companies spend more time and money on CYA gymnastics than on actually building products or offering services.
its... not it's. What an idiot!

I get what you’re trying to convey, but devils advocate:

posting your story here (in a super public forum) about your very specific situation doesn’t help your chances of a future final interview. When I was still at a regional. I happened to walk by one of our managers office and saw they were scrolling down this website. It wouldn’t be a stretch to assume management at other spots does also. So personally I’d try to refrain from posting anything that could identify you, especially when mentioning specific shops (be it directly or indirectly).

I get what you’re trying to convey, but devils advocate:

posting your story here (in a super public forum) about your very specific situation doesn’t help your chances of a future final interview. When I was still at a regional. I happened to walk by one of our managers office and saw they were scrolling down this website. It wouldn’t be a stretch to assume management at other spots does also. So personally I’d try to refrain from posting anything that could identify you, especially when mentioning specific shops (be it directly or indirectly).
They are always watching

Back