FM091800 34012KT P6SM SCT070 BKN150

Airport Details for KCOS
090433 EUECYIYN
(A4683/23 NOTAMN
Q)KZDV/QMRXX/IV/NBO/A/000/999/3848N10442W005
A)KCOS B)2312090418 C)2312100418
E)COS RWY 35R FICON 4/4/4 100 PCT 1/8IN DRY SN 24IN WINDROWS OBS AT
2312090418.)

Was at work when this came out - I did a search for local news in COS and the local FOX news website had an article about the hit and run on airport road. Just thought it was ironic that it was reported about the same time as the SW incident and in roughly the same area.

Also I believe this is the anniversary of their MDW overrun several years ago

Freezing fog. Nothing good happens in freezing fog.

Yeah, they had a name for it in Nevada. Maybe it was a native term, can't remember. But once you experience it, you never want to again. I can't even fathom thinking about trying to taxi/fly a plane in it.

Yeah, they had a name for it in Nevada. Maybe it was a native term, can't remember. But once you experience it, you never want to again. I can't even fathom thinking about trying to taxi/fly a plane in it.
Luckily my current ride forbids it, so I don’t have to worry about it.

Our operation doesn't expressly forbid it, but our requirement for "tactile inspection of all surfaces within 5 minutes of flight" effectively prohibits it. In that case I'm texting the DO and saying "we're waiting for conditions to improve."

We have a chart for Snow with Freezing Fog in terms of holdover times with Type IV. It's not a prohibited operation.

-SN FZFG and SN FZFG = okay

+SN FZFG = not okay

Our no go:

Moderate or greater FZRA (freezing rain). NO for FZRA and +FZRA

Heavy FZDZ (freezing drizzle). NO for +FZDZ

Our operation doesn't expressly forbid it, but our requirement for "tactile inspection of all surfaces within 5 minutes of flight" effectively prohibits it. In that case I'm texting the DO and saying "we're waiting for conditions to improve."

We have that, for heavy snow. Or for an area in the chart that falls under "No HOT exists, must [do the thing you referenced]"

Are you guys sure we're talking about FZFG? And not FZRA or FZDZ?

I've never heard of a major 121 not being able to depart in FZFG, as long as it's within Type IV and prevailing visibility charts. (eg, no heavy snow w/ FZFG)

They were just taxiing at normal speed and missed a turn. Could happen to anyone.

“We have normal speed at home.”

The normal speed at home…
IMG_6678.jpeg

My book says 30kts on the straightaway and 10kts in the chicane.

I can’t fathom doing 50. At 30 the damn thing feels like it’s going to fall apart.

Ok- I was confused. I thought they were taxiing. That’s rollout. Disregard my disregard.

We have that, for heavy snow. Or for an area in the chart that falls under "No HOT exists, must [do the thing you referenced]"

Are you guys sure we're talking about FZFG? And not FZRA or FZDZ?

I've never heard of a major 121 not being able to depart in FZFG, as long as it's within Type IV and prevailing visibility charts. (eg, no heavy snow w/ FZFG)

Actually in my case, while I was talking about FZFG, I was incorrectly referencing FZRA (or what I remembered off the top of my head about it). Mea Culpa :)

You do have a surprising familiarity with the FODM for a "LAX day turns to GDL" kinda guy :p

Back