OAL Jumpseat Dilemma: Your thoughts.

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Ok, feeling a little guilt today... Not sure if I should but here's the scenario.

I get in from TLV this morning about 0600. I run over to "Airline A", sign up for a jumpseat on an oversold flight where I'm told I'll probably not get on. Hey, no big deal as it's a free ride and I'm just happy for the opportunity to get home a few hours earlier than I would by connecting on Southernjets through one of the hubs.

They call my name, I head down the jetway and about halfway down, the agent calls my name and says that a pilot from "Airline A" showed up last minute and there won't be a jumpseat for me.

Not a problem, I'll try another flight.

I thank the agent for trying to get me on and head to "Airline B" to give that jumpseat a shot. The pilot said "sorry!" and I replied with "Hey! It's not a problem, you've got priority!"

I go to "Airline B"'s gate about 70 minutes prior to departure and the place is a ghost town. Not even a person in the area at all and the agents haven't arrived yet. So I head down to McDonalds and get a cup of coffee, walk back to the gate and stand in line -- now we're about 60 minutes prior to departure.

About ten minutes later, while standing in line, a couple of guys from "Airline A" and "Airline C" (not employees of "Airline B") approach me and ask if I'm trying to get to PHX and introduce themselves. More or less that they're trying to get to PHX too.

That's cool. Hopefully they'll have seats for us all I say. One of the two says that they've been waiting over there in the corner (where a few minutes earlier, there was no one seated when I got in line) and that they think I should relinquish my spot in the OAL priority because they were there before me, but around the corner, seated.

There was no one there when I got into line.

"Airline C" guy advises me to "do the right thing".

I pretty much said that was there a bit earlier as well, grabbed some coffee and came and stood in line. I've had a long day as well as I was over at "Airline A", almost had a jumpseat and literally got pulled out of the jetway for an "Airline A" pilot.

"Airline A" guy says, "Yeah, I work for 'Airline A', checked loads and didn't bother even trying." -- even though he would have gotten a ride if he did.

I don't think they liked my answer, but I'm from the tradition that if you'd like to get a ride on another airline's jumpseat, stand in line, sign up for it at the counter and let the agent figure out the priority through the booking computer or OAL jumpseat guidance.

So it looks like there are only two seats left on the airplane, both cockpit jumpseats. The agent gives myself and "Airline C" pilot clearance to get on the aircraft and "Airline A" guy screams, "Doug, you're letting the gate agent screw me?!" pretty loudly.

The agent looks a little angry and says, "He was the first in line, sir" and I think (can't really confirm) that the other pilot said, "but we were seated over there" and points.

Now that was awkward because I had the impression that he was trying to escalate the situation.

Personally, from my perspective, as far as I know, all jumpseaters should get in line as early as possible, get their name on the list, and the agent will determine out the priority when you're not an employee of that particular airline.

I always try to be in line 60 minutes prior to departure, sign up and largely disappear, but stay without easy earshot of the boarding agent.

Logically, I shouldn't feel an ounce of guilt, but I do to a certain extent. But then, considering if I was wearing civilian clothes, they wouldn't have known to approach me.

I don't know, thoughts?

I'm not asking for a net.flogging of these guys, or myself if you feel I acted like a bunghole, but does anyone have a different perspective on the situation? What aren't I seeing?

Unless he's trying to get back in time for his child's birth...everyone follow the rules and let the chips fall where they may. His time is no more valuable than someone else's simply because he doesn't have any reservations about being an ass.

AFAIK, you didn't do anything wrong. Sounds like they thought they could guilt you into giving up your rightful place. Wanna ride, stand in line like everyone else. Get your name on the list. "Standing over there" is a BS move.

His time is no more valuable than someone else's simply because he doesn't have any reservations about being an ass.

Nah, I really didn't want to go that way with it.

The situation seemed like, "Ok, I'm following the traditional rules of getting on an OAL's jumpseat", obviously, there's a difference of opinion between myself and the other two pilots, and I'm not seeing their perspective at all.

It's like if it's free hot dog Friday, and you want one, you'd better go stand in line because when it's convenient for you, they might be out of hot dogs.

steel
steal

Mousepad65-nazi.JPG
:)

You did the right thing, he was being a poopy head.

When I got hired at my airline, a bunch of guys from SLC also got hired. We all thought to ourselves, "Oh the easy life, a commute to LAX or ONT until we upgrade. Life is grand."

Yeah freakin' right.

There were at least 15 guys between ExpressJet and CAL that were trying to do offline jumpseating back and forth to Newark because of how things shook out. What that meant is that I started showing up 1.5 early to the gate to be 110% sure I was the first guy standing in that line. Now being in the gate area an extra half hour early? It didn't do anything. But standing at the desk when the gate agents walked up and said "Hey, goin' back to Newark again?" was worth it's weight in gold. I never got bumped by another company jumpseater because, amazingly, I was always the first guy in line.

Now if I hadn't been? Thems the breaks and I use the commuter clause if I can't get to work. But I was always sure to be there and smiling when the gate agents showed up so I could be first on their list.

There are no friends when commuting.

Nah, you got it right. Think of it this way: if you're in line for Space Mountain and someone says "Hey, we were here but standing way over there. We should get in front of you" are you gonna let them cut? HELLS NO!

This sums it up, and I agree 100% :

all jumpseaters should get in line as early as possible, get their name on the list, and the agent will determine out the priority when you're not an employee of that particular airline.

I always try to be in line 60 minutes prior to departure, sign up and largely disappear,

Get there early, sign up and get the hell outta dodge until your number comes up. If you don't notice when the gate agent comes up b/c you're sitting around the corner, that's YOUR fault, not the guy who's playing by the rules.

"Sitting over there" shouldn't mean jack. If they weren't talking to the gate agent or standing in line first it doesn't really matter where they were sitting. Pilot A just sounds like a tool trying to put you on a guilt trip.

This is why I drive 2 hours to work now instead of flying. Houston traffic isn't exactly stress free, but at least I can crank some pantera on the way in and don't have to talk to anyone like pilot A.

I just can't find it in myself to see it their way. It seems that they snoozed and lost.

Nah, you got it right. Think of it this way: if you're in line for Space Mountain and someone says "Hey, we were here but standing way over there. We should get in front of you" are you gonna let them cut? HELLS NO!

Space Mountain?? What about "It's A Small World"????

Nah, you're right, Doug. When I show up at the podium, I stand there. Even if there isn't an agent in sight, I stand right there until he/she shows up. That way there's no question.

Here's a story you'll love.

One night, I get in to SEA and go over to the next QX flight that's leaving in an hour. I sign up with the agent. Then I mosey over to talk to another Capt. who is waiting for a flight to YKM. 30 minutes later as I'm talking to her, I see one of our super senior F/Os run up.

Now, this character is famous for his Jekyll and Hyde personality as well as bypassing upgrade for 6 years for QoL (he can hold hometown layovers). He signs up for the jumpseat as well.

As an aside, this isn't the last flight out of town. One of our jets was on a mechanical and was leaving a hour and a half later, though it was scheduled to leave an hour before this flight.

Boarding time comes and the agent give me the jumpseat. He runs over to the podium. Now, the QX policy is that the jumpseat is offered to QX pilots first, then us IN SENIORITY order. This bozo is exactly 12 numbers senior to me. So he pulls out the seniority list in an attempt to get my jumpseat pulled.

Unfortunately for him, the Company computer system only recognizes YEAR of hire so his 30 days of seniority over me doesn't mean squat at this point. If two equal YEAR of hire guys show up then its first come, first served.

So, without another word, I get my boarding pass scanned and head down to the plane. A few minutes later, here he comes. Seems he's talked the agent into letting him have the F/A jumpseat. Whatever.

Unfortunately, AGAIN for him, the A F/A knows her regs. While QX pilots are authorized to ride the QX F/A jumpseat, we are not. She points this out to the Capt and he apologizes to F/O PIA and asks him to leave. What does he do? Turns to me, in front of a full planeload of people and yells, "HAVE A NICE <expletive> RIDE HOME!"

Wow.

First come, first served. Its a wonderful thing.

Turns to me, in front of a full planeload of people and yells, "HAVE A NICE <expletive> RIDE HOME!"

That's terrible.

The last thing I'd ever want to do is raise a stink publicly at the podium because that will jeopardize benefits for all of us.

Agents largely think of us as a big hassle, so I always figure it's best to help make their job as easy and polite as possible. Plus, you never know when you're going to be running up to the gate, last minute "just in case" and they'll hook you up with a seat.

Agents have loooooong memories.

Might as well make it a positive one.

Amen, bro. As I always say, there's two groups of people in the airline business you don't want to hack off...CSAs and F/As.

Both can do incredibly evil things to you and you'll never even realize it.

Agents have loooooong memories.

Might as well make it a positive one.

Absolutely. The CMH agents..Airways & SWA all know me and if the Airways agents see my name listed to PHX, I already have a window or aisle seat set aside for me, unless it's full, which obviously is out of my hands. An occasional $5 Starbucks card for them from time to time doesn't hurt as well.

Back