AS Jumpseat Listing

ManualDXer

Has anyone else had issues listing for the JS on Alaska? I am talking specifically in the scenario that it is your first flight of the day, not a connection since you would already be through security.

Their procedures for JS listing, as published on ALPA indicate that you list at the gate with the gate agent. However, you need to get through security somehow and as dispatchers we do not have the luxury of the KCM line. We must go through regular security and require a boarding/security pass of some form.

My dilemma both times I’ve flown Alaska was that the ticket counter agents know the JS listing procedure is to “List at the gate” so whenever I tell them I need a security pass at least to get through security they act like I’m in the wrong for even speaking to them about it. I do this for delta each time since they are also a “list at the gate” airline and they give me no trouble. I get they are different airlines so it’s different procedures but Alaska’s listing instructions just completely lack the fact we need something to get through security somehow.

The ticket agent was very unprofessional and kept interrupting me when I was just trying to explain myself respectfully and told me I had to list for a flight on my own airline to get through security, “we don’t do that” I was told, in reference to them printing me a security pass. Well what if my airline doesn’t fly to/from this airport, what then? I do know that some airlines have you list on MyIDTravel which will give you a security pass, this is not an option on Alaska with the “pilot commuting” option so idk the best way to handle this going forward. Luckily I was able to list for my airline to pass security this time around, but I just thought this whole experience was ridiculous and easily preventable, I’m sure they get their fair share of DX jumpseaters so this should be nothing new to them.

Sorry to rant, just wanted to see if others have experienced this or something similar, or with other airlines as well?

I don't remember ever having someone jumpseating come to me outside security in the ~2 years I worked the counter for Alaska.

Listing on your own airline to get through security is a great way to fret around the issue when that is an option, but what if your airline doesn’t fly there?

I always just list on my airline if I'm js on an airline where you list at the gate. If my airline doesn't fly there, I go on id90 or myid and list on an airline that does

Also, does united have you list at the gate? I tried listing at the gate and the gate agent was saying I need to list somewhere and it's not on myid or id90

I always just list on my airline if I'm js on an airline where you list at the gate. If my airline doesn't fly there, I go on id90 or myid and list on an airline that does

Also, does united have you list at the gate? I tried listing at the gate and the gate agent was saying I need to list somewhere and it's not on myid or id90
United really gives people the go-around...I've listed at the ticket counter a few times until I finally got a ticket agent who said we're only allowed to list at the gate; according to the jumpseat policy for United listed on ALPA, jumpseaters must list at the gate

Listing on your own airline to get through security is a great way to fret around the issue when that is an option, but what if your airline doesn’t fly there?

I imagine this isn't the actual solution, but for what its worth, I don't think TSA cares where your destination is.....you just need a standby boarding pass somewhere to gain entry. Unless you are talking international travel (which would be niche for AS). That being said, somewhere like STL (just the example that comes to mind) which has entirely different security areas for the two terminals, might pose a problem with this strategy.

United really gives people the go-around...I've listed at the ticket counter a few times until I finally got a ticket agent who said we're only allowed to list at the gate; according to the jumpseat policy for United listed on ALPA, jumpseaters must list at the gate
I've never had issues with United at the gate but in MCO, they were very insistent I needed to list somewhere and was very confused. Supervisor eventually said I'll spot you this time but you need to list "somewhere" so I'm assuming these guys just didn't know/had a clue

not all of us have an easy to list on partner airline serving their home base airport.

I’ll onlhy say that TSA a rules are t widely known by the officers. And when you quote chapter and verse they tend to invoke “local rules”.

And whatever yon do don’t quote their manual and say “ that’s a patch not an actual badge” to them ,… that wont work in your favor. No matter hoe much fun it is to be right.

I should have added "if able" or something similar to that list. I always LOVED being based in Atlanta with a carrier that only had a handful of flights a day there.

I imagine this isn't the actual solution, but for what it’s worth, I don't think TSA cares where your destination is.....you just need a standby boarding pass somewhere to gain entry. Unless you are talking international travel (which would be niche for AS). That being said, somewhere like STL (just the example that comes to mind) which has entirely different security areas for the two terminals, might pose a problem with this strategy.
Recently - within the last few weeks, when I fly out, TSA has not only asked for my ID and boarding pass/security document but also asking and verifying my flight number. Not sure if this is the case for others.

Recently - within the last few weeks, when I fly out, TSA has not only asked for my ID and boarding pass/security document but also asking and verifying my flight number. Not sure if this is the case for others.

Weird, however I guess id just say, in this example, whatever flight I happened to list on?

I had an in issue with AS and I was at Seattle . I was already at the gate , the gate agent wasn’t helpful and felt like he didn’t care at all

( a couple times when the ticket counter gives me a hard time , I’ve went thru TSA without a boarding pass . You would have to ask for a supervisor and respectfully tell the situation, tell them ticket counter is giving a hard time and usually they will let you go by)

I think it honestly depends on the person working that day to be honest.

I usually try to make a dummy listing via myidtravel so that I can get pre-check, and then use Clear lane especially at major airports like MCO, 1 min vs 35 mins regular line. In smaller airports where that wasn't an option, I explained to TSA I was in CASS going to JS and they let me through. At major airports like ORD, an option might be going to customer service desk and asking for a gate pass like parents going to see off UCMs.

I had an in issue with AS and I was at Seattle . I was already at the gate , the gate agent wasn’t helpful and felt like he didn’t care at all

( a couple times when the ticket counter gives me a hard time , I’ve went thru TSA without a boarding pass . You would have to ask for a supervisor and respectfully tell the situation, tell them ticket counter is giving a hard time and usually they will let you go by)

I think it honestly depends on the person working that day to be honest.
Alaska has serious issues with getting non revs and jumpseaters on. It seems to be a ridiculous cultural issue, even if you happen to get by the gate agents then you have to hope the captain of your flight is “willing to take jumpseaters”, it’s a joke.

Alaska has serious issues with getting non revs and jumpseaters on. It seems to be a ridiculous cultural issue, even if you happen to get by the gate agents then you have to hope the captain of your flight is “willing to take jumpseaters”, it’s a joke.
Why do you think that is?

Why do you think that is?

They probably had someone like form810 come in and start talking about why we do what we do while on short final.

AS captain like, “dude, I just asked if you liked movies about gladiators about 40 minutes ago.”

1684915922666.jpeg

I know there are a number that you list as a "pilot" on id travel for jumpseating. A lot of companies have OAL DX and Pilots on the same priority so it doesn't matter.

Back