Likelihood of getting a job at the Majors/Corporate

Refutation....

I think you should get your private. This will give you an idea of what flying's all about and will either inspire you to continue or convince you not to proceed. I've known guys who instructed in college and it worked well for them. I currently know a guy who only got as far as his IFR in college...he'll work up through the CFI this summer after graduation....works for him. Some wait until after college. Just because one guy didn't have success with his desire to instruct in college doesn't mean you won't...not that it's that big of a deal, anyway. None of my recent buddies who are persuing the career have aviation degrees...that's about the only constant in their paths to the career. You really can't base your decisions on the current state of the industry. I've seen the good times and the bad since 1978, when I got my private. It's an up and down industry and we are currently in a down cycle. If you can't live with that...then don't try to be a pilot when you grow up...

Re: Refutation....

yeah, don't take my opinions weight any more or any less than everyones opinion cause it is just that. there is no way to know what the future is going to do. everyone is different and you never know what you want until you try. for me I always wanted to fly military, but I got sucked in to all the dorky flight schools thinking they are mini airlines and Kit Darby (the devil) saying you'll be a senior captain for delta in a couple of years because of the "massive" pilot shortage. So 911 actually was good for me because It kicked me in the teeth and reminded me what I really wanted all along. So for me personally I wish I would have spent all that extra flying into a heavier class load so I could join sooner. but Im still young. good luck to you, and picking up your private should give you some insight to if you really like flying. which I guarentee you will
wink.gif

Hi Matt,
If you really love flying, then definitely do NOT give up your dreams to become a professional pilot. I am 22 and I'll be graduating from Cornell University in May with a degree in computer science. I've also been a CFII/MEI since my sophomore year in college. Granted, I was lucky to stumble upon flying early at age 16. I worked at my local, family-run airport to finance my flight training as well as get a lot of experience just being around aviation, but I can honestly say that flight instructing during college has been the most rewarding part of aviation that I've done up until now.

Don't get me wrong, when I first became a flight instructor in the middle of winter in upstate NY, it was tough. I had basically no students for three or four months. I stuck around the airport all the time on weekdays and weekends to become a familiar face and had to scarifice a lot while my friends would go out during the evenings and on the weekends. But then the weather summer came along, and so did the students. I now have about 1500 TT and 250 multi, and I'm looking to move on when I graduate in May. I'm averaging about 50 hours dual given a month in the winter and around 100 in the summer. If you are persistant and are at the airport a bunch, students will come to you.

It's once again frustrating because I remember working with CFIs years ago who were getting hired by the regionals with under a thousand hours, but the important thing to realize is that we are still very young. If I start working for an airline right now, I could potentially fly for 38 years before retiring. Don't be in too much of a hurry to work! You have your whole life ahead of you! Enjoy college while you can, but if feel you can balance everything, then by all means go for it! Happy flying!

Michael

IFlyLow...

Thanks for that insight. I'm glad to know that it can indeed be done!

Just as an off question...how understanding was the FBO where you instructed as to your college schedule? Thats the only thing I'm semi-worried about right now. Will they realize that I can't be there all the time, and that school takes priority? I know that times are tough right now, and instructors are everywhere...so I would hope that I wouldn't be beaten out by others who aren't taking classes at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta agree with you there, manic. I'm an almost-30-year-old potential career changer, and am in worry mode myself right now. I know I'm gonna get at least my PPL/Inst., but with all the worries about where the industry is or is heading (especially if the little dictator decides to invade Iraq), ya gotta wonder if there will be any jobs available in the regionals/majors, and will it be worth it to drop several thousand dollars for all the other required stuff. Hopefully, the people in power(?) wil come to their senses, the industry enjoys a HUGE rebound, and everyone who wants a flying job will get one. <crosses fingers>

[/ QUOTE ]

"Especially if the little dictator decides to invade Iraq?" Ahh, forget it. If MRIVC is willing to waive the white flag, then so am I.

Anyway, if you're 18 just get your private license and major in anything you want. Seriously, just study hard at whatever interests you and whatever career you want to do. If you do that everything will work out over the long term. You may even find in a couple years from now, you will end up in a career you never even expected to be in.

Back