Am I nuts?

podrick

Thinking of switching majors after 2 years at SJI, am I nuts?

I've had a good time at SJI, but live in a UAL base (ORD). After 2 years the commute has lost its luster, and now that I've "made it" I've realized at the end of the day this is just a job, and being close to home and making my life less complicated is probably more important than a seniority number. In a perfect world I would've made the switch already, I'll turn 30 by the time I'd be hired, so I have time to make it back and just consider the two years a sunk cost.

I've been extremely fortunate with my timing, even though its only been two years at SJI, I'm already sitting at 75% in the company. With that, I don't worry about furloughs. For the last few years I feel like we've been on thin ice waiting for the next downturn. I have no interest in moving in base at SJI, long term career goals is WB flying, which I also just finally reached at my current shop. Am I nuts for thinking of leaving?

Hate to make another "what should I do" thread, hoping to get insight from those that have made the switch, and not so much a DAL vs UAL thread.

Thinking of switching majors after 2 years at SJI, am I nuts?

I've had a good time at SJI, but live in a UAL base (ORD). After 2 years the commute has lost its luster, and now that I've "made it" I've realized at the end of the day this is just a job, and being close to home and making my life less complicated is probably more important than a seniority number. In a perfect world I would've made the switch already, I'll turn 30 by the time I'd be hired, so I have time to make it back and just consider the two years a sunk cost.

I've been extremely fortunate with my timing, even though its only been two years at SJI, I'm already sitting at 75% in the company. With that, I don't worry about furloughs. For the last few years I feel like we've been on thin ice waiting for the next downturn. I have no interest in moving in base at SJI, long term career goals is WB flying, which I also just finally reached at my current shop. Am I nuts for thinking of leaving?

Hate to make another "what should I do" thread, hoping to get insight from those that have made the switch, and not so much a DAL vs UAL thread.
35 more years of commuting? I’d leave in a heartbeat.

You mentioned you just reached WB at SJI. Won't that lessen the impact of commuting a bit?

You mentioned you just reached WB at SJI. Won't that lessen the impact of commuting a bit?

It definitely does help, not only commutable but also longer trips.

An extra long commute yesterday had me questioning my life decisions. Wasn’t sure if I was on to something or if I just need a reality check!

Incidentally, I don't think it's all that crazy, not only because you're senior to me and there'd be less CHI-NYC competition jumpseat wise.

If you've got reasons to stay in Chicago then that's all the more reason to at least go and interview so that you have an actual decision to make (there is no decision to make until they hand you the CJO and act excited to see you). My sim partner in new hire actually left us for UAL for the same reason: married to the local area.

Incidentally, I don't think it's all that crazy, not only because you're senior to me and there'd be less CHI-NYC competition jumpseat wise.

If you've got reasons to stay in Chicago then that's all the more reason to at least go and interview so that you have an actual decision to make (there is no decision to make until they hand you the CJO and act excited to see you). My sim partner in new hire actually left us for UAL for the same reason: married to the local area.
This industry is so funny. “NOW that you got to that airline you are good for this airline”

It took me a while to learn living in base is king. If you can’t see yourself moving to a Delta base it’s worth considering. However, hired two years ago at SJI is probably the best seniority progression you’ll ever have/see in your entire career.

Back