Am I nuts?

I think the point is that nothing egregious needs to happen in order to have a constructive debrief. It’s supposed to make us better pilots, but that would mean first we’d have to admit to ourselves that we’re not perfect😂

Me after a less than stellar landing “oh, F. Sorry guys.”

After shut down: “I think I pulled the power too early. Did you guys see anything I could have done better?”

Doesn’t have to be a formal thing. I think generally it’s different in a 3-4 crew environment because the pilots in the back see SO much more and are likely to bring it up. Plus we get only 1-3 landings a month so things not going perfectly is kind of expected.

Me after a less than stellar landing “oh, F. Sorry guys.”

After shut down: “I think I pulled the power too early. Did you guys see anything I could have done better?”

Doesn’t have to be a formal thing. I think generally it’s different in a 3-4 crew environment because the pilots in the back see SO much more and are likely to bring it up. Plus we get only 1-3 landings a month so things not going perfectly is kind of expected.
I flew my first leg in two months the other night going into to Hong Kong, which has its challenges to begin with. I was flying with a LCP and I asked for advice because I am new and trying to learn things.

Approach was good, landing was good, then slammed the hell out of the nose gear. The Captain gave me some great feedback. I loved it.

I flew my first leg in two months the other night going into to Hong Kong, which has its challenges to begin with. I was flying with a LCP and I asked for advice because I am new and trying to learn things.

Approach was good, landing was good, then slammed the hell out of the nose gear. The Captain gave me some great feedback. I loved it.
I don’t know if Bigfoot is the same, but on the 747 the nose either wants to come down hard or it wants to go up. It all depends on the sequence of the spoilers, reversers, and autobrakes.

I don’t know if Bigfoot is the same, but on the 747 the nose either wants to come down hard or it wants to go up. It all depends on the sequence of the spoilers, reversers, and autobrakes.
I honestly don't have enough landings to tell you. This was an empty leg, so maybe that that had something to do with it.

I never offered "mentorship" in the left seat. Maybe a few times when I thought they really needed it or asked. And those time were REALLY rare. My brief was "it's your airplane and fly it like you please". "I'll let you know if I don't like something and expect you to do the same". Most of my F/O's were better sticks than me anyways. No problem with that. I just wanted my 727 back.... I always held the door open for F/O's and let them check in first at the front desk. I tried to be the lowest maintenance of any Capt they ever flew with. That all worked well for me and I'd do it that way again.
You want to come back out of retirement? We’re looking for a few good men 🤣. This seems to be on par with most of the people I’ve flown with, there’s always a few exceptions. It was weird coming here and not getting the mentorship or feedback that I remember from the regionals. It’s usually “let’s get the hell out of this thing” because it’s been a 12hr duty day and/or it’s 5am and time for bed.

That's the way I was pretty much. It's been mentioned that the level of competency with F/O's during my time was likely much higher than these days. My F/O's were beyond awesome (likely Capts in ONT now). I just rarely felt the need to mentor or comment. After I started doing hots in my last four years the F/O's were in the top 20 in SDF. But if your Capts are beating you to the crew van without word, I'd say there is nothing that needs to be said.

Back