Am I nuts?

I've never trashed "military rotorheads." I simply said that they have a difficult time transitioning to fixed wing and 121. The cadets we were getting in could fly circles around them in sim training. I saw it time after time. I recommended a jet transition course for these guys before bringing them aboard but the suggestion wasn't taken in the end. I was simply saying that it wasn't fair for an RTP guy to be taking a slot from a cadet. Those cadets had seniority as well. Making them wait for the next class to slot some RTP guy in was unfair.

That sounds more like a problem with the Envoy training department than anything else.

Maybe I’m just grossly underestimating the number of bleeds off takeoffs the average line pilot does

I mean, my sample size is still small, but it hasn't been common for me. Fully loaded jet from SAN to HNL was first, and I think maybe OGG-SEA was the other. We almost had to do it a third time until I kept hitting send on T/O data until it read what we wanted (Bleeds ON). I can't remember what changed on that one, maybe it was just the closeout numbers putting us below planned. But the guys who flew the -200's and -400's did it a lot more out of necessity, and they got very familiar with it. Don't worry, they'll tell you about it :)

I never offered "mentorship" in the left seat. Maybe a few times when I thought they really needed it or asked. And those time were REALLY rare. My brief was "it's your airplane and fly it like you please". "I'll let you know if I don't like something and expect you to do the same". Most of my F/O's were better sticks than me anyways. No problem with that. I just wanted my 727 back.... I always held the door open for F/O's and let them check in first at the front desk. I tried to be the lowest maintenance of any Capt they ever flew with. That all worked well for me and I'd do it that way again.
Your new hires were probably way more experienced than the new hires of today.

I never offered "mentorship" in the left seat. Maybe a few times when I thought they really needed it or asked. And those time were REALLY rare. My brief was "it's your airplane and fly it like you please". "I'll let you know if I don't like something and expect you to do the same". Most of my F/O's were better sticks than me anyways. No problem with that. I just wanted my 727 back.... I always held the door open for F/O's and let them check in first at the front desk. I tried to be the lowest maintenance of any Capt they ever flew with. That all worked well for me and I'd do it that way again.

Yeah. It’s one thing to be talking shop or watching them do their thing and offering suggestions to make their life easier.

It’s pretty baggy in my opinion to “while I have you here, let me provide some mentorship.”

Most mentoring is done by example, otherwise it just comes off as preachy.

Honestly if you ask “if I’m receptive to mentorship” my spidey sense is already tingling that this is going to be awkward. Let it happen naturally. Sometimes situations present themselves, sometimes they don’t.

Yup. In my mind “this guy sure thinks he’s cool.”

Some of us make actual lists…I’ve got a couple note books from my last 6 months of being an FO to upgrade, then from all my trips conducting OE, and from all my training at SJI.

I give myself 24hrs to decompress from a trip, then I jot down good things, bad things, goofy/abnormal things. How captains are, and how I could have done things better/etc.

I wish I kept a journal, especially from my regional days. Mostly so I can recall funny stories, but also some of that.

I am a strong believer in mentoring via example rather than showing them "my tricks" or techniques. As many have pointed out the new hires today are not seasoned pros who have been doing this forever. I was (internally) shocked my last FO had been an airline pilot since 2021, with civilian CFIing before that. I think with someone like that you can mentor a lot by showing them the way we do things around here like, were not going to go nuts if something doesnt go right on the ramp, were not going to go crazy fast or rush to save 2 min on go home leg etc...All without acutally have a speech about it.

100% “are you open to mentoring” comes off as “you are gonna learn a lot on this trip.” Most are agreeing with you because they want a harmonious trip, not necessarily because they want abunch of new info. Unless someone is really struggling, I would be extremely hesitant to mentor someone on the basic duties they have been trained for, eg. preflight, basic flying skills.

I actually kept notes during upgrade training and OE. The last place I’d share it would be JC. Since my words would be twisted by another user followed by a literal dog pile of the 3-4 people who have taken every opportunity to try and make me look bad.

I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a strong believer in mentoring via example rather than showing them "my tricks" or techniques. As many have pointed out the new hires today are not seasoned pros who have been doing this forever. I was (internally) shocked my last FO had been an airline pilot since 2021, with civilian CFIing before that. I think with someone like that you can mentor a lot by showing them the way we do things around here like, were not going to go nuts if something doesnt go right on the ramp, were not going to go crazy fast or rush to save 2 min on go home leg etc...All without acutally have a speech about it.

I love this. I’ve found that attitude is contagious. Especially as a captain, if I show in in the lobby and immediately start whining about what scheduling did to me, everyone else follows suit. If I seem happy to be there and professional, that’s reflected back to me.

The training department has really been emphasizing debriefing after every leg. That seems to be the best place to “mentor”, other than leading by example of course. Also I appreciate when during the preflight brief a CA emphasizes taking our time to do things right and not worrying about rushing to get er dun.

The training department has really been emphasizing debriefing after every leg. That seems to be the best place to “mentor”, other than leading by example of course. Also I appreciate when during the preflight brief a CA emphasizes taking our time to do things right and not worrying about rushing to get er dun.

All of my ASAPs have involved rushing or changing the plan at the last minute which causes us to overlook something. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

It’s still kinda ackward. Our personalities are more likely to point out errors and screwups instead of giving positive remarks. I mean, how many debrief “that was an awesome takeoff!” Or I’ll have a good landing, and when I say to FO got anything? They’ll just say “good landing.”

But to sit down and tear apart an approach and landing? I dunno. I think most guys know (or should know) when they screw up.

It’s still kinda ackward. Our personalities are more likely to point out errors and screwups instead of giving positive remarks. I mean, how many debrief “that was an awesome takeoff!” Or I’ll have a good landing, and when I say to FO got anything? They’ll just say “good landing.”

But to sit down and tear apart an approach and landing? I dunno. I think most guys know (or should know) when they screw up.
There’s a lot of small things (hopefully small) that you can talk about in a debrief. We’re just not wired for it yet.

Tell me you weren’t a CFI without telling me you weren’t a CFI.

Honestly most of the more egregious errors I’ve seen are acknowledged by the FO. They bring it up, I acknowledge and make suggestions based on my experience. Address the action, not the person, throw in what they did well.

Honestly most of the more egregious errors I’ve seen are acknowledged by the FO. They bring it up, I acknowledge and make suggestions based on my experience. Address the action, not the person, throw in what they did well.

Nope, no CFI.

The PF is supposed to initiate the debrief by “how did that go?”

From what I’ve seen, I’d say about 60-70% of the time as FO PF, they don’t initiate. On my leg as PF, I initiate mine every time.

I think the point is that nothing egregious needs to happen in order to have a constructive debrief. It’s supposed to make us better pilots, but that would mean first we’d have to admit to ourselves that we’re not perfect😂

Back