Jumpseating vs. Non-Rev Etiquette

If I know my friends are up there, I quietly go up to the cockpit and say “surprise line check!” to freak them out.
"Hey guys I'm gonna be deadhea.... aw chit... crew scheduling? Imana need a different deadhead or a rental car or something"

Our manual says to cut down on distractions before pushback, JSers who been given seats in back don’t have to check in with the CA.

That's a hot issue right now with some airlines, the manuals say you don't need to check credentials if someone is is the back, though legally incorrect.

Honestly been on more AA jumpseats than any other carrier and never found any of the flight deck crews to be less than welcoming...sometimes a little more...business like than some of the others I ride on, but welcoming nonetheless. Perhaps it helps that about 50% of the time one of the guys is a flow from my shop. Did have one MD80 guy lecture me about how "we" treated the flow backs when he flowed back. Cool story bro...I was in middle school then.

The only person I want to hear from is a jumpseater, as per company policy. Anyone other than that is interrupting my moment of zen before the madness starts.

Doesn't your own airline have a policy that if a jumpseater has been flowed to the back on the min rev list, and thus given a seat, doesn't need to check in?

Because I've been chewed out for checking in because I don't need to, and chewed out for being ushered to the back by in flight and not checking in.

Doesn't your own airline have a policy that if a jumpseater has been flowed to the back on the min rev list, and thus given a seat, doesn't need to check in?

Because I've been chewed out for checking in because I don't need to, and chewed out for being ushered to the back by in flight and not checking in.

I think they’re still supposed to, let me look at the FOM to be sure.

As usual, every airline has their “previous carrier” people that don’t understand their cheese has been moved.

Nope, there’s no language saying that the jumpeater doesn’t have to introduce himself to the captain with a passenger seat. Our policy also says that jumpseating flight attendants must introduce themselves to the captain as well.

As for the OP, the CA in question might still be a bit of a nozzle in spite of this situation, but my guess is that the FA didn't clearly convey the context around what kind of ticketed passenger the OP was when advising the CA of his presence on board. FAs are less likely to be thinking in such terms. Then the CA just assumed the worst and decided to roll with that before asking for clarifying info.

Nope, there’s no language saying that the jumpeater doesn’t have to introduce himself to the captain with a passenger seat. Our policy also says that jumpseating flight attendants must introduce themselves to the captain as well.

Unless it's changed since last summer, that one has to do with the witchcraft in the computer systems. When the agent assigns a jumpseater a seat in the back, the ticket code in the system gets changed as well, and they're are no longer technically jumpseat request.

Had the opposite experience once a while ago with a JSer. It was his first time. He came up and asked for a ride politely. We chatted for a few minutes about his career, and then I thanked him for checking in. Had the opportunity to give a quick learning moment about the polite ask for a ride.

Our pass benefits are devalued and worthless enough anymore to have to deal with added nonsense.

As far as I'm concerned unless you have a real good joke, are a local in my layover city and know all the best happy hours, or are an offline jump seater requesting a ride, please, just go back and relax, get there as early as possible and hog up all the overhead space.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The few interactions I’ve had with AA have been pleasant. Should I stay away from the CLT or DFW guys?

Its mostly the American West guys/gals that seem to be buttholes in my experience.

Most of the CLT guys/gals were prior US Airways and are usually as cool as an Arctic winter night, again in my experience.

As for the OP, the CA in question might still be a bit of a nozzle in spite of this situation, but my guess is that the FA didn't clearly convey the context around what kind of ticketed passenger the OP was when advising the CA of his presence on board. FAs are less likely to be thinking in such terms. Then the CA just assumed the worst and decided to roll with that before asking for clarifying info.

Thus, the first mistake the OP made was telling the FA that he was a pilot for that airline (or any airline), knowing the FA would announce that forthwith. Remain incognito to the max extent possible. :)

Did have one MD80 guy lecture me about how "we" treated the flow backs when he flowed back. Cool story bro...I was in middle school then.

Had an FE flowback once check my name against his little black book while checking in for the JS, just to see if I might have been one of “those Eastern guys.” Uh, I was a college student with a fresh CPL when all that was going down?

Want to feel old?

When I was a newbie, you'd ask the captain for permission to ride the jumpseat and the nthe lead flight attendant if it's ok if you ride in the cabin.

Want old too? I can remember when at my cargo company, we were briefed how not to bother JSing on Delta, as their JS wasn’t open to anyone, including their own people. Lol

Its mostly the American West guys/gals that seem to be buttholes in my experience.

Most of the CLT guys/gals were prior US Airways and are usually as cool as an Arctic winter night, again in my experience.
I consider all non-DFW Legacy AA pilots "militia" and all DFW AA guys "Hardcore regulars"... :) (Honestly I havent found the percentages of horses asses to be all that much different).

I was jumpseating once and the pilots were delayed due to late connection. So I told the FA I had a seat in the back- I guess she told the pilots when they showed up. Right before departure she came back and said “captain wants to speak to you.” .. then added , “you’re not in trouble or anything.”
I said, “well of course I’m not in trouble. I’m 42 years old, not a schoolboy.” She wasn’t sure how to respond. I walked up and the captain just said he wanted to be sure I’d gotten on...

Unless it's changed since last summer, that one has to do with the witchcraft in the computer systems. When the agent assigns a jumpseater a seat in the back, the ticket code in the system gets changed as well, and they're are no longer technically jumpseat request.
And yet someone, somewhere, will still be bent out of shape about it.

Back