Unwritten Rules of Jumpseat/Non-Rev?

Boots2Wings

Just happy to be here.
So as I am about to begin my life as a commuter for the first time, I wanted to ask the (probably) dumb questions here that werent covered in my "How to" classes...

1) Jumpseating/Riding in "uniform":
Is it expected, or frowned upon, when traveling in uniform (up front or in back) to take off your epaulettes/wings? On own metal, or other carriers? I ask because it always seems like when I run into other commuters they almost always have their stuff off, sans the steriotypical white shirt and black pants. I'm not a fan of packing extra, or changing at the airport, so just wanted to see the common expectation there.

2) Baggage
How much of an evil stare to expect if you put your rollaboard and flight kit in an overhead bin? Cant really gate check either, and my kit is a bit big for many under-seat spots. Also, how many bags is too many, for instance, Id love to have a laptop case to go with my other two; but that might be pushing it?

3) Sitting up front (even if there's room in the back)
Is it frowned upon to sit upfront if your given a seat in the back? Normally id take the back seat, but if its the Jump or a middle seat in coach (or any seat on my own metal for that matter), I would much prefer a jump just for comfort alone

4) When sitting up front
Following the same line of thought, if up front, should I be throwing on the Telex's everytime, or just chatting offline and listening to airpods acceptable? Just not sure how much ACMing is wanted or expected.

5) How many potential flights is a "safe commute"
Policy at my shop (afaik) is must have had at least 2 possible, but would say, 4 be generally safe to actually make my trip?

6) Anything else you can think of?

Thanks

1- Uniform

I'd take off my tie normally if it was a long flight. I was much more prone to putting something on over the uniform like a jacket or polar fleece. Unless you are transporting liquids larger than normally allowed, or you won't have time to change after/before your work flight, there really is no reason to commute in uniform.

2 - Putting bags up

If you are in uniform, nobody will blink. If you aren't... depends on the carrier and the type of plane. Try to be considerate, but the last thing you want to do is gate check your bag and then never see it again. Some carriers don't allow it, but often times the guys up front can find room (not on a 737 of course) for your bag if there is no room in the back. When I was commuting I had three bags.

3 - Sitting up front (with open seats in the back)

Some airlines don't allow this. Some do. All depends. Also depends on the type of jumpseat (again... looking at you 737). If you are going to, make sure the guys up front don't mind.

4 - Headsets/reading

I almost never wear a headset up front when jumpseating, unless it's a 145 or turboprop and loud as hell. If a captain says "if you want a headset it's over there", I turn it down. If a captain says "your headset is right there" I wear it. In general, as a jumpseater your should follow the guidance of the Milford School and neither be seen nor heard. Engage in conversation if the captain or FO start it with you. The dynamic will be different every time. I normally ask if they mind if I engage in a little light "studying" and hold up a tablet. I've never had somebody say no, but I suppose there could always be a first time. Just remember that technically, you are an additional crew member up there.

5 - Commuter Policy

Your airline should have that very clearly spelled out. Follow the rules but understand that you can't overly abuse it or you could endanger it for everybody. If you are new, be more conservative.

1. Just personal preference, I commute in wearing a quarter zip over the white shirt with no tie. I store my uniform jacket and hat in our crew room, it doesn’t come home with me, less stuff to carry around. There’s nothing wrong with wearing the full uniform either, it doesn’t matter, some like to wear it to get bigger liquids through security.

2. What are you carrying around that doesn’t fit? In my opinion it’s kinda rude, especially when flight attendants are telling paying passengers not to do that. But I’ve also seen plenty of flight attendants commute with multiple bags, so.. maybe it doesn’t matter.

3. Just read the room, I’ve been on both sides of it. If they seem cool and you’re getting along, fine. In the rare case they seem bothered or stressed about having a jumpseater, take the seat in the back.

4. Most don’t, if you’re worried about it just kindly ask if they want you to wear it or not. Just be a chameleon, if they want to chat and be social they’ll turn around and talk to you, if they want to be weird and stare out the window for 2 hours, they’ll do that instead.

5. That’s excessive, but maybe start giving yourself a lot of back ups at first, you’ll figure out soon enough what works for your commute and what doesn’t.

6. It’s a small difference, but when you say hi up front, always state it as a question, don’t tell them you have a seat, make sure you’re phrasing it as a question.

Good luck! Commuting isn’t all bad depending on where you work and what your commute is. I’ve been pleasantly surprised. I commute in the morning of a trip out of uniform, take a nap once I get there, get lunch, and iron my shirt before sign in, It’s a nice routine for me.

1) No problem with taking off the clip on tie, ID, and stripes, while your in the back. I used to leave them on until I said hi to the FA in the front and the pilots, then they came off after I sat down in the back. If up front then I'd just leave it all on (except the tie maybe). Another option is the fleece zip up jacket and just cover up.

2) I always tried to gate check my suitcase. Sometimes gate agent would say "there's plenty of room on the plane" and wouldn't let me. I'd drag it down and the up front FA would usually tell me what to do with it. Closest sometimes. Overhead mostly. On SWA they used to let you preboard so I'd just put my bag in the overhead and proceed to the back of the plane. But I think gate check is the best option although you end up waiting a bit for it to come up the jetway after block in.

3) Ummm...unless the pilots said "feel free to ride up here if you want", I'd take a seat in the middle. If it's a longer flight where the pilots are going to be getting up to take a leak, you're definitely in the way and complicate things. On the other hand, if you are just dying to see what a A350 is like up front, just say so and I'm sure they would let you. Nothing wrong with that.

4) For sure sterile cockpit below 10 and some company procedures are 18. Even then, I'd tend to not talk unless the crew initiates a conversation. I'd try to be attentive to the crew interactions and be ready to offer little ways to help out if possible. Like holding the trash bag open for the toss or offering to hold the crew meal trays, whatever. I wouldn't zone out to the point where you might seem like a bother if they had to get up.

5) I'd say two but would depend on my motivation. If you're on probation maybe go in a day early. Just depends on how many flights and if it's driveable, ect. I've gone in the night before if I had a morning show.

So as I am about to begin my life as a commuter for the first time, I wanted to ask the (probably) dumb questions here that werent covered in my "How to" classes...

Is it expected, or frowned upon, when traveling in uniform (up front or in back) to take off your epaulettes/wings? On own metal, or other carriers? I ask because it always seems like when I run into other commuters they almost always have their stuff off, sans the steriotypical white shirt and black pants. I'm not a fan of packing extra, or changing at the airport, so just wanted to see the common expectation there.
It's definitely "frowned upon" to be wearing a uniform without wings or epaulets, specifically disallowed by our uniform manual

2) Baggage
How much of an evil stare to expect if you put your rollaboard and flight kit in an overhead bin? Cant really gate check either, and my kit is a bit big for many under-seat spots. Also, how many bags is too many, for instance, Id love to have a laptop case to go with my other two; but that might be pushing it?
Just ask, they will tell where to put your bags.

Is it frowned upon to sit upfront if your given a seat in the back? Normally id take the back seat, but if its the Jump or a middle seat in coach (or any seat on my own metal for that matter), I would much prefer a jump just for comfort alone
Depends on the airline. and ask the Captain. If an other airline pilot is js and a seat opens up in the cabin I'm supposed to ask him to go back to the cabin. If it's a company pilot I can give the option to stay [/QUOTE]

4) When sitting up front
Following the same line of thought, if up front, should I be throwing on the Telex's everytime, or just chatting offline and listening to airpods acceptable? Just not sure how much ACMing is wanted or expected.
varies widely, while jumpseating, I have had captains, after finishing a brief , turn to me and ask if I had any questions or additions, some take it very seriously.

Policy at my shop (afaik) is must have had at least 2 possible, but would say, 4 be generally safe to actually make my trip?
so many factors go into it that its tough to generalize. [/QUOTE]

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

2) Baggage

4) When sitting up front

Thanks

1. I'm either full on or wear a quarter zip sweater over it because I'm vain. The epaulette shirt sans accoutrement just looks tragically goofy to me.

2. Depends on the airline. I know we're a rollaboard with one person item, so if there's some dude in a plain epaulette shirt with a caravan of bags he's dragging on, it may make it challenging for the cabin crew to enforce company policy. "Why is weird shirt guy able to do that while I can't?" BUT being in uniform, people would be much more cool with it.

3. It really depends. It doesn't matter on the Airbus because it's a big cockpit, but on a 737, I can see some guys not being too happy about it. Again, it depends on the company policy of the jet you're jumpseating on. Mine is if there is an available seat in back, you're supposed to take that seat. As a unwritten courtesy, some will allow you to stay up front, but that's a matter of asking/offering.

4. I do below 10K. I will not wear Airpods on the flight deck as a jumpseater.

5. However many flights it takes to get you to work on time without stressing. LAX, offline, I wanted at least two other options to get to work as a bare minimum because there's a large probability I'm about to enter into a multi-jumpseater moshpit moving from gate to gate as each flight leaves full. If everything is full all day and it might take more than 3 hours to get a ride, I'd rather just drive to LAX and I've done it several times.

If own metal, I reserve a jumpseat days in advance and have no backups.

6. Ungh, never say "Hey, I'm Ted, I'm on your jumpseat". Preferably, have your license and medical in hand, ID unclipped from your lanyard, introduce yourself to the crew when there's a break, ASK for permission to get a ride to work/home and offer your credentials, including the jumpseat pass. I'm required to look at all that and people often think I'm a dick for following company policy.

Most of the time people have it out, I'll give it a quick scan but some people act like you're asking for naked pictures of their 21 year old daughter or something when they know the policy. I'm not mean, I'm probably training a new pilot. I don't want them to find themselves in a bind and say "Well the check airman never asked for that so I didn't think it was important so how is it my fault an interloper got cockpit access?"

- I abhor the casual no tie/no epaulets look. Get a nice think quarter zip you can throw on to conceal everything or just wear the uniform.

- Just take the seat in the back if its available, unless unusual circumstance like youre already strapped in and everyone is just ready to go or something along those lines, otherwise just take the seat in the back.

- I dont plug-in on the jumpseat if its anything other than an RJ were its awkward if you dont.
-Airbus typically has plenty of room for bags, anything else dont be surprised if there is no space, dont hog up 1st class.
- My preference for jumpseaters is to have the board towards or at the end. Youll be in the way and on an airbus at least, there is no reason for you to be there standing in the cockpit for 40 min while we board. We have room for your bag, so just wait.
-Ask for a ride even if its a seat in the back.
-Keep quiet and monitor sterile flight deck. I had to start briefing that to jumpseaters since i had a pair that thought they could chat it up back there. Dont be on your phone. Pay attention, I had to tap the FO once and give him the "start engine" sign as we're taking the runway with only 1 spinning. After you're up and on the way, books, movies, whatever.

When going to/from work I just found it easier to wear my uniform. I'd be on my own metal 95% of the time so it really didn't matter. It's really a personal preference. I'm just really lazy and am not gonna bother to change if I don't have to.

2) Baggage

Luggageworks roller, Brightline Bag, and Cooler. I'm a 'dreaded 3-bagger' - I bring food. I had broken the habit mostly in the "before times", now with 1/2 our destinations having minimal to nil food (Looking at you JFK) and all the red eyes I do... It's just easy to pack these giant bottles of iced tea, a couple sandwiches, and a microwave meal and I'm usually good for a 2-day.

I was chatting with a buddy a couple of days ago and he said, "This job is nothing more than chasing down food and coffee." He's right.

If the choice is middle or even window, I'd rather sit up front. Actually, I'd just rather sit up front. I have a lot in common with the people up front. In the back, not so much. Some of this is 8+ years of commuting at my current shop and the 5ish years of commuting at my other airline jobs. Mostly transcon commutes. If I never ever have to sit in the back of an airplane again (that isn't a business class seat or better) I'll be quite content.

4) When sitting up front

I'll wear a headset if the crew is wearing one, in case they ask me something. It's maybe come up 20 times over the years where I had to say something. It's just good SA also in there is chatting going on - for instance - between 10k and 18k when the crew takes them off. I don't want to be babbling about the latest union 'issue' when a radio call comes in for instance.

Follow the contract. But, do what is comfortable for you. I gave myself 2... on my own metal usually. But it would depend on the weather, loads, etc. Current shop, 12 years, no missed trips because of commutes. Couple of close calls, but I planned ahead. Just plan ahead. Look at the weather and such.

Just be nice. Ask for the ride. "Hi, I'm Boots, with your permission I was wondering if I could catch a ride home/to work please?" Even if the answer is always gonna be yes. Polite and professional. I bend over backwards for commuters, I was one for the last decade basically. Be nice to the gate agents. Even if they tag your bag, unless it's one of those RJ 'rules' things... check with the crew at the bottom of the jetway. Be nice to the FA's... ask if you can store your junk in their cabin. (etc.) Don't assume you are getting freebies. Food and such. Most crews will try to stuff you. You'll have the system down pretty quick.

Oh, and the ALPA app is great for checking routing. It's replaced everything for me at least trying to figure that out.

Jumping on the cargo airlines is amazing. (in my experience FedEx was GREAT! Just remember to cancel the listings if you are gonna no-show. Basically private-jet service for the cost of a couple of Ubers to the back sides of the airport. If my own company didn't have a quasi-reverse red eye I would have been taking them weekly.)

StaffTraveler app if you don't have friends to check loads for you. $.50 per loadcheck unless you build up credits by paying it forward. I was offline every now and then so I used it to strategically plan out my exit strategy post-red eye or when a trip ended with a DH at an outstation.

DON'T connect through ATL. Ever. I'm never doing that again. A simple SAV-ATL-LAX became an all day affair that turned into SAV-ATL-SLC switch airlines LGB, Uber to LAX. I have learned my lesson.

And go on your own metal as much as you can. It makes an already painful process that much easier.

This is all great advice. Also get to the gate early enough to meet the capt or FO is possible. It’s not always possible though especially at the end of a trip, I’ve been that sweaty guy running up at 16 min prior. There’s a lot of new above wing staff and I’ve heard stories of people getting left because agents not knowing how to list pilots or weight and balance and no one wants to take the delay. It helps if the crew knows you’re there.

If you happen to be jumping on SWA remember that you're welcome to bord after the pre-boards so that there's plenty of space for your carry ons in the overhead and you can guarantee an aisle or window seat.

The FAs would prefer that you not occupy the exit row though. :(

(I know that's different from most airlines. Since we don't have a premium cabin they like to save those extra legroom seats for the frequent fliers)

Last edited:
The FAs would prefer that you not occupy the exit row though. :(
Yeah I "learned this." Gate agent said go down early to make sure you get room for your bag. Cool. Check in, ask for a ride, nobody says anything. So I go to the exit row. FA walks by and says half under her breath "oh I guess we're letting standbys preboard now" or something like that and kept walking in a huff. Now I know.

Don’t ever say I’m so and so with Colgan Air would you mind if I hope a ride with you guys? Crusty Continental captains will say “young man, you will walk on my aircraft you will not hop on my aircraft”. Lesson learned.

Don’t ever say I’m so and so with Colgan Air would you mind if I hope a ride with you guys? Crusty Continental captains will say “young man, you will walk on my aircraft you will not hop on my aircraft”. Lesson learned.

That's when I would have said, "(cough) scab (cough)". Because with an attitude like that, you have a better than average chance of being right.

Back