Jumpseating vs. Non-Rev Etiquette

turbojet28

Had an interesting experience yesterday while riding as a non-rev with two of my young kids, and on my own airline to boot. Decided last minute to take two of my boys on a little trip, checked loads, and headed to the airport. Got seats assigned, boarded, and sat down. One of the FAs politely engaged in light conversation, and I made a point just to mention that I was a pilot for the company, just for their information. Few minutes later, another FA comes back and says that I have been summoned to the flight deck. I go up there and proceed to get ass-chewed for “not checking in while non-reving” and was informed that my actions were detrimental to the poor reputation (apparently) that our pilot group has among other airlines (that was a new one to me).

I was taken off-guard because I’ve always understood “jumpseating” and “exercising my company pass travel benefits” to be two completely separate endeavors, the latter not requiring any sort of the traditional check-in associated with being a freeriding jumpseater. I was really not prepared for a proper response to this guy, so I just said I was sorry for the misunderstanding and that apparently I had been doing things wrong for 10 years.

So, just wanted to see if I really have been wrong about this. Anyone have any thoughts?

You were 100% in the right. No requirement to check in while non revving.

Sounds like the FA turned around and said, “we have another pilot onboard.” Captain decided to flex his “authority” and called you up, presumably because he thought you were a jumpseater who hadn’t checked in.

If he continued to act that way after you told him you work there and are non revving, then he’s probably just an ass.

I wouldn’t change your actions.

While non-revving you are not a part of the crew and can even drink, there is absolutely no reason to check in. That captain is off his rocker and I suggest contacting Pro-stands to prevent your airline getting a bad reputation from a guy like him.

My new gig requires lots of deadheading on paid tickets, and I'm just wondering when I get called to the flight deck by this guy or one like him. I've heard a few stories. They are usually the ones that live in base and never non-rev, and jumpseats once a year.

My new gig requires lots of deadheading on paid tickets, and I'm just wondering when I get called to the flight deck by this guy or one like him. I've heard a few stories. They are usually the ones that live in base and never non-rev, and jumpseats once a year.
With all the deadheading I do on UA, I have gold status. So when I got the lecture one time. I told the pilot, "Is this how you treat all your medallion members?"

Had an interesting experience yesterday while riding as a non-rev with two of my young kids, and on my own airline to boot. Decided last minute to take two of my boys on a little trip, checked loads, and headed to the airport. Got seats assigned, boarded, and sat down. One of the FAs politely engaged in light conversation, and I made a point just to mention that I was a pilot for the company, just for their information. Few minutes later, another FA comes back and says that I have been summoned to the flight deck. I go up there and proceed to get ass-chewed for “not checking in while non-reving” and was informed that my actions were detrimental to the poor reputation (apparently) that our pilot group has among other airlines (that was a new one to me).

I was taken off-guard because I’ve always understood “jumpseating” and “exercising my company pass travel benefits” to be two completely separate endeavors, the latter not requiring any sort of the traditional check-in associated with being a freeriding jumpseater. I was really not prepared for a proper response to this guy, so I just said I was sorry for the misunderstanding and that apparently I had been doing things wrong for 10 years.

So, just wanted to see if I really have been wrong about this. Anyone have any thoughts?

That happened to me once on a connection carrier.

But my response was “So (regional) policy is that if a non-revenue customer is wearing a pilot uniform, that person is required to introduce himself to the cockpit and ask permission to ride the jumpseat, even though that person is not listed on the jumpseat and using a space-available non revenue pass? I’m sure this is counter to company policy but here’s my card and when you find that reference, I will stand corrected and send you a gift card for the hassle”

*blank stare*

You are under no obligation to check in with the captain when you’re non-revving.

Talk to Professional Standards.

Thanks for the input folks. About sums up my thoughts. We were in the back of the bus, and I was ready to give him my real two cents after deplaning, but he was already gone by the time I got up there.

Why do some people have to make this stuff harder than it needs to be?

Thanks for the input folks. About sums up my thoughts. We were in the back of the bus, and I was ready to give him my real two cents after deplaning, but he was already gone by the time I got up there.

Sometimes the extra bar gets to some people’s heads. Some guys make this job a whole lot harder than it is

Sometimes the extra bar gets to some people’s heads. Some guys make this job a whole lot harder than it is
And make themselves the reason why pilots at that shop (whatever it is) have a bad reputation. I’d be interested to know if his FO was a reserve...

See custom title.

Back