Jumpseating vs. Non-Rev Etiquette

Kidding aside, how about same story but on a DH?

When I was a FO, one CA called up an entire set of 3 FAs who were DHing in the back and then told them it was a good idea to check in with the CA when DHing. They were already sitting in the back 15 prior to push and all 3 did the walk of shame to the flight deck.

The way I see it, nonrev is a company benefit you’re using for pleasure. DH is a contract/ticket between you and the company. Only a JSer is a privilege and should check in with the CA and politely ask for a ride. In all cases, I’d let at least one FA know I’m a crew / potential ABP.

When I was a FO, one CA called up an entire set of 3 FAs who were DHing in the back and then told them it was a good idea to check in with the CA when DHing. They were already sitting in the back 15 prior to push and all 3 did the walk of shame to the flight deck.

The way I see it, nonrev is a company benefit you’re using for pleasure. DH is a contract/ticket between you and the company. Only a JSer is a privilege and should check in with the CA and politely ask for a ride. In all cases, I’d let at least one FA know I’m a crew / potential ABP.
I don’t care if you’re deadheading. Don’t come up to the cockpit. I’m don’t think any airline requires DH or non revs to check in with the captain. If you list you list for the jumpseat, whether or not you get a seat in the back, you’re supposed to see me according to my manual. Non rev or DH just head to the back and enjoy the ride.

I don’t care if you’re deadheading. Don’t come up to the cockpit. I’m don’t think any airline requires DH or non revs to check in with the captain. If you list you list for the jumpseat, whether or not you get a seat in the back, you’re supposed to see me according to my manual. Non rev or DH just head to the back and enjoy the ride.
Indeed. I mean, if I know you, I might pop up to yuk it up, but otherwise I'm going to get in, sit down, shut up and hold on.

Had an interesting experience yesterday while riding as a non-rev with two of my young kids, and on my own airline to boot. Decided last minute to take two of my boys on a little trip, checked loads, and headed to the airport. Got seats assigned, boarded, and sat down. One of the FAs politely engaged in light conversation, and I made a point just to mention that I was a pilot for the company, just for their information. Few minutes later, another FA comes back and says that I have been summoned to the flight deck. I go up there and proceed to get ass-chewed for “not checking in while non-reving” and was informed that my actions were detrimental to the poor reputation (apparently) that our pilot group has among other airlines (that was a new one to me).

I was taken off-guard because I’ve always understood “jumpseating” and “exercising my company pass travel benefits” to be two completely separate endeavors, the latter not requiring any sort of the traditional check-in associated with being a freeriding jumpseater. I was really not prepared for a proper response to this guy, so I just said I was sorry for the misunderstanding and that apparently I had been doing things wrong for 10 years.

So, just wanted to see if I really have been wrong about this. Anyone have any thoughts?

The important part now is forget about captain ass-hat and have a fun trip with your boys!!

Our pass benefits are devalued and worthless enough anymore to have to deal with added nonsense.

As far as I'm concerned unless you have a real good joke, are a local in my layover city and know all the best happy hours, or are an offline jump seater requesting a ride, please, just go back and relax, get there as early as possible and hog up all the overhead space.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our manual says to cut down on distractions before pushback, JSers who been given seats in back don’t have to check in with the CA.

I’ve JSed on all the big airlines except Hawaiian. I’d say about half the time I get the, “oh you’re in the back, why you here?” kinda wording. Still, as a JSer I still try to ask permission and then thank them for the ride.

The only person I want to hear from is a jumpseater, as per company policy. Anyone other than that is interrupting my moment of zen before the madness starts.

Our manual says to cut down on distractions before pushback, JSers who been given seats in back don’t have to check in with the CA.

I’ve JSed on all the big airlines except Hawaiian. I’d say about half the time I get the, “oh you’re in the back, why you here?” kinda wording. Still, as a JSer I still try to ask permission and then thank them for the ride.
Even if you get a seat in the back I’m pretty sure every airline requires you to check in up front. My manual says they still have to check in but I don’t need to check any credentials since they’re in the back. I just hand them a water bottle and snacks and tell them to enjoy the ride.

Even if you get a seat in the back I’m pretty sure every airline requires you to check in up front.

Copy/paste from FOM

“NOTE: Flight Deck jumpseat riders who have been given a cabin seat assignment need not check in with the Captain. This policy reduces Flight Deck distractions and congestion.”

cough*
AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!’
cough*
ThAAnks, right?

"You don't need to check in if you're in back"
"...k"

Next week:
"You need to check in even if you're in back!!!111one"
"...okay..."

Me: Fine, you're going to see my ugly mug every single time.

Nope. If the captain wants to boot me for not introducing myself when the company gave me a positive space DH, that's fine by me.

Back