Unwritten Rules of Jumpseat/Non-Rev?

Flight was packed today with a ton of standbys. Captain let me sit up front (739) to help people get onboard. An FO from their company also needed to be up front so I had the fixed left seat.... Man it's right. So me it was ok, back started to ache a little at the 2hr mark but for bigger individuals it would not be a fun time.
My record is almost 4 hours in that seat. It's terrible.

So glad to not have to worry about that anymore.

I cant believe some of you all have done this for any significant amount of time. My hat is off to you. I just sweated out the whole afternoon on tues after my trip ended, waiting to hopefully non rev onto the last SEA-EUG flight (I did get on). Speaking of which, the whole retirement of the Q has really crushed my “easy trip home to EUG” non rev dreams. Used to be a half empty plane 12000 times a day from SEA of PDX (like the GEG-SEA run, though that one isn’t empty)

There is a jumpseat worse than the second on a 737. The bench on the UPS 757 freighter. It folded down out of the bulkhead to occupy two butts. It's about four feet wide. Also blocked the lav when it was down so everyone gets to get up when it's in use. Luckily, most of you will never have the experience.

So glad to not have to worry about that anymore.
Wait for it… wait for it… BOOM!

jago33-slot-machine.gif

Alright JC, discuss…

As a pilot we are able to “jumpseat” on other airlines. This can be in the physical jumpseat in the cockpit, or in a regular passenger seat if one is available. When someone rides up front, it is up to the captain to verify they have their documents (ATP, medical, ID etc) and are eligible to be in the cockpit with us during the flight. When they get a regular seat, it is still part of the process to come up front and let the captain know you were given a seat, and ask their "permission" to ride. In my opinion the whole process is kind of annoying, Since 99% of captains aren’t going to have a problem with you riding unless it is due to a weight and balance issue, or the jumpseat is occupied due to a line check or something like this. Shortly before boarding a captain with another airline came up. He told us the gate agent had given him seat 3A, and that he wanted to let us know he was in the back. He was nice about it, and grabbed his bag and started to head back to his seat. Something about the way he worded it, did not sit well with my captain. He had the flight attendant call the other captain back up front. I thought to myself “Uh Oh, this should be interesting”. When the other guy came back up, my captain procced to lecture him about how he failed to ask his permission, and instead had told him he would be flying with us. That is not how it should be done, He is in charge of the airplane, and that as another captain how would he feel if someone did that on his plane blah, blah blah. It went from 0-100 real quick, and got super awkward. I was in the middle of loading something in the FMS, and went back to doing it as I wanted no part of being involved in this exchange. It is not something I would ever say to another pilot, and I don’t really understand why this is the hill some captains want to die on. I could understand my captain more, had the other guy not come up at all. But he had, and was a friendly guy. But the captain is the one that deals with the jumpseat, and it was his prerogative to handle it the way he felt like. I had no part of it. I’m sure the other pilot was rolling his eyes, but he simply said “thank you for reminding me”. The captain went back to his iPad, and I just kind of smiled and nodded at the other pilot as he walked out. Once he left, the captain was still annoyed. He kept telling me how rude the other guy was, and that if he did that on his airplane he would have done the same thing. I didn’t want any part of it. After a little bit of me only saying “yeah” or “mm-hmm”, he got the point and dropped the topic as I wasn’t really agreeing with him.

I am probably just ignorant, but why would you list on the JS unless it was confirmed that all seats are occupied for non-revs? I see the JS to cabin seat scenario pretty regularly, but I don't really understand why they don't just list as regular non-revs if there are open seats? This question has no bearing on the story you posted, but I just don't understand this.

Alright JC, discuss…

As a pilot we are able to “jumpseat” on other airlines. This can be in the physical jumpseat in the cockpit, or in a regular passenger seat if one is available. When someone rides up front, it is up to the captain to verify they have their documents (ATP, medical, ID etc) and are eligible to be in the cockpit with us during the flight. When they get a regular seat, it is still part of the process to come up front and let the captain know you were given a seat, and ask their "permission" to ride. In my opinion the whole process is kind of annoying, Since 99% of captains aren’t going to have a problem with you riding unless it is due to a weight and balance issue, or the jumpseat is occupied due to a line check or something like this. Shortly before boarding a captain with another airline came up. He told us the gate agent had given him seat 3A, and that he wanted to let us know he was in the back. He was nice about it, and grabbed his bag and started to head back to his seat. Something about the way he worded it, did not sit well with my captain. He had the flight attendant call the other captain back up front. I thought to myself “Uh Oh, this should be interesting”. When the other guy came back up, my captain procced to lecture him about how he failed to ask his permission, and instead had told him he would be flying with us. That is not how it should be done, He is in charge of the airplane, and that as another captain how would he feel if someone did that on his plane blah, blah blah. It went from 0-100 real quick, and got super awkward. I was in the middle of loading something in the FMS, and went back to doing it as I wanted no part of being involved in this exchange. It is not something I would ever say to another pilot, and I don’t really understand why this is the hill some captains want to die on. I could understand my captain more, had the other guy not come up at all. But he had, and was a friendly guy. But the captain is the one that deals with the jumpseat, and it was his prerogative to handle it the way he felt like. I had no part of it. I’m sure the other pilot was rolling his eyes, but he simply said “thank you for reminding me”. The captain went back to his iPad, and I just kind of smiled and nodded at the other pilot as he walked out. Once he left, the captain was still annoyed. He kept telling me how rude the other guy was, and that if he did that on his airplane he would have done the same thing. I didn’t want any part of it. After a little bit of me only saying “yeah” or “mm-hmm”, he got the point and dropped the topic as I wasn’t really agreeing with him.

I agree with the captain, but disagree with how he handled it. No need to be that upset about it.

I am probably just ignorant, but why would you list on the JS unless it was confirmed that all seats are occupied for non-revs? I see the JS to cabin seat scenario pretty regularly, but I don't really understand why they don't just list as regular non-revs if there are open seats? This question has no bearing on the story you posted, but I just don't understand this.
Because if you’re an offline jumspeater you can’t list as non-rev.

Ok, that makes sense, but I'd also say that 80% of the ones I see are own airline......
Because you list for the jumpseat a week in advance a lot of the time when booking becomes eligible well before there is a real solid load count.

Back