ExpressJet furloughs 346

You realize that there was no way to hold onto those 69 jets and they were going to take them one way or another, right?

Yeah, I do. But there was a sentiment that it was great, and if they took away more it wouldn't matter because XJet could find places for them and it would allow them more freedom in their operations.

And Bob's right, there was no way that anybody could have predicted that oil would do what it did. If oil had stayed at less then $100 per barrel, you guys may be challenging SWA now. But it didn't stay there. And that's the beauty of a long term agreement. You don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

If the most favored nation clause hadn't been there, that would have been exactly the case. There WAS a period of time when airlines were looking for work but those days are gone. The window was open, but now it isn't. What are ya gonna do? I still think the best thing to do would be for ExpressJet's flying to go down to 50% CAL and 25% some other legacy, and another 25% some other legacy. Split up the amount of risk you take with your parent company getting pissed at you and/or downsizing their regional feed. Look at CHQ, how many contracts did they have to lose before they started furloughing? They've diversified themselves into an incredibly lucrative spot with how many carriers they fly for.

If the most favored nation clause hadn't been there, that would have been exactly the case. There WAS a period of time when airlines were looking for work but those days are gone. The window was open, but now it isn't. What are ya gonna do? I still think the best thing to do would be for ExpressJet's flying to go down to 50% CAL and 25% some other legacy, and another 25% some other legacy. Split up the amount of risk you take with your parent company getting pissed at you and/or downsizing their regional feed. Look at CHQ, how many contracts did they have to lose before they started furloughing? They've diversified themselves into an incredibly lucrative spot with how many carriers they fly for.
Good point. As quiet as RAH has been, they've really been solid.

And I've been telling people for years that ExpressJet does 75% of their flying with Continental as Continental Express, and has a 7 year CPA for such.

I don't know where you've gotten your "facts" but you couldn't be further off base here. There is a loss of 39 airframes, which still leaves 235 airplanes operating for Continental and that will continue for a MINIMUM of 7 years.

Good job on the A plus analysis!

The economics of small RJs are not viable. All the other majors are moving towards larger RJs or turboprops for their systems. CAL must do the same or they will be dragged down by XJT

Expressjet is considering a reverse stock split to avoid having their shares delisted and sent into pink sheet wasteland. Whether that happens or not is probably not going to have any bearing on the fact that they will be unable to attract new financing and their debt costs will increase. They will have to take drastic steps to survive. In a bankruptcy the CPA with CAL will be voided.

If the economic situation in the USA continues to detiorate and oil stays above $100/barrel I would look for XJT to be bankrupt within a year, two tops.

Typhoonpilot

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait....hold on.....

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

Now CONTINENTAL is going to be dragged down by ExpressJet because the Continental pilots won't give up their scope? That's rich man. Keep coming up with this stuff, though, I needed a good laugh.

You got the same bets on Air Wisky? How about Pinnacle?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait....hold on.....

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

Now CONTINENTAL is going to be dragged down by ExpressJet because the Continental pilots won't give up their scope? That's rich man. Keep coming up with this stuff, though, I needed a good laugh.

No, the point is that Continental will not allow themselves to be dragged down by a feeder airline that operates uneconomical aircraft. They will be forced to make changes. The Seven year contract isn't worth the paper it's written on when the financial impact becomes negative. Changes will be made.

The point of my post is to warn those who fly there to look for other jobs because their's is not secure. It's up to the reader to decide to keep their head in the sand and hope for the best or to recognize the reality of the situation.

TP

XJT stock down 17% yesterday, now trading at 19 cents.

ExpressJet Revs Reverse Split for Takeoff

Its move to a 1-for-10 distribution is intended to keep it on the Big Board, and avoid a forced repurchase of notes.

Stephen Taub - CFO.com | US

August 25, 2008

ExpressJet Holdings Inc., looking to remain on the Big Board, is asking its shareholders to approve a 1-for-10 reverse stock split at a special meeting scheduled for Oct. 1.

The move by the company, which operates regional flights for Continental Airlines, would reduce the number of authorized shares of common stock from 400 million to 150 million shares.

ExpressJet noted that on July 18, the New York Stock Exchange warned the company that the trading price of its stock was below the minimum required by NYSE's continued listing standards, because the average per share closing price over a consecutive 30-trading day period was less than $1. The exchange gave the company six months to bring the 30-trading day average closing price above a buck.

If ExpressJet is unable to lift the stock price to the required level, the NYSE said, it will begin suspension and delisting procedures. "Although the NYSE has provided a six-month cure period to remedy this situation, the NYSE has informed us that it also has the discretion to delist our shares at any time if they trade at sustained levels that are considered to be abnormally low," the company said in proxy material for the meeting. The closing price of its stock on Aug. 20 was $0.25 a share, and the consecutive 30 trading-day average closing price was $0.32.

The reverse stock split will also reduce certain costs, such as NYSE listing fees, and make its stock more attractive to a broader range of institutional and other investors, the company said in a proxy filing.
There may be a more overriding reason for the reverse split, however. The company conceded in its filing that if the stock were delisted from the NYSE, it also would constitute a "designated event" under the indenture governing its 11.25 percent convertible notes due 2023. This would mean holders of the notes would have the right to require the company to repurchase all or a portion of their notes in cash at par plus accrued and unpaid interest, if any.

The company warned that if all noteholders exercised their right to require it to repurchase the notes, the company would be required to plunk down $68.5 million in principal in cash, plus accrued interest. However, it does not have the money to pay this potential bill.

"If a 'designated event' occurs, we cannot provide assurance that the company will have sufficient cash available to satisfy any such repurchase of notes," it conceded. "Our inability to repurchase the notes for cash would result in an event of default under the indenture.”

ExpressJet, which lost $31.7 million in the second quarte, r has been exploring strategic possibilities including a possible sale, the Associated Press noted in an article about the reverse split. The company rejected an unsolicited takeover offer from SkyWest in April.

Maybe the one year time frame to bankruptcy was a bit optimistic.

TP

No, the point is that Continental will not allow themselves to be dragged down by a feeder airline that operates uneconomical aircraft. They will be forced to make changes. The Seven year contract isn't worth the paper it's written on when the financial impact becomes negative. Changes will be made.

The point of my post is to warn those who fly there to look for other jobs because their's is not secure. It's up to the reader to decide to keep their head in the sand and hope for the best or to recognize the reality of the situation.

TP

You think WE tell CONTINENTAL what to fly?

Not even close.

CONTINENTAL tells EXPRESS what to fly. And the PILOTS at mainline tell CONTINENTAL what sized aircraft they're willing to allow at a regional career. If the company wants larger aircraft than the EMB-145, they can have them; on a mainline list. Otherwise? Tough nuts, they're not going to get them.

So until Continental brakes the pilot union, CoEx carriers will continue to operate 50 seat or smaller jets, and larger turboprops.

You think WE tell CONTINENTAL what to fly?

Not even close.

CONTINENTAL tells EXPRESS what to fly. And the PILOTS at mainline tell CONTINENTAL what sized aircraft they're willing to allow at a regional career. If the company wants larger aircraft than the EMB-145, they can have them; on a mainline list. Otherwise? Tough nuts, they're not going to get them.

So until Continental brakes the pilot union, CoEx carriers will continue to operate 50 seat or smaller jets, and larger turboprops.

You're allowing this to become personal, it's not meant that way. While it's sad you're about to be furloughed and understandable that you have strong feelings it would be wise to look at things objectively and from a very mercenary point of view. The question to ask yourself is, "what benefit do I have in remaining with Expressjet?" or, "what benefit do I have in waiting for a recall?"

Typhoonpilot

The difference is that Wisconsin/Pinnacle both have authorizations to fly larger aircraft from their mainline partners (I believe AW has an 86-seat exemption left over from the 146's). I know what Typhoonpilot is saying is pretty harsh, but he's right that it's a really bad time to exclusively be flying 50-seat airplanes.

I'd be very worried about any regional right now, just more so at one that only flies 50-seaters.

You're allowing this to become personal, it's not meant that way. While it's sad you're about to be furloughed and understandable that you have strong feelings it would be wise to look at things objectively and from a very mercenary point of view. The question to ask yourself is, "what benefit do I have in remaining with Expressjet?" or, "what benefit do I have in waiting for a recall?"

Typhoonpilot

1. It's not personal, you're not making any sense. You think somehow that Continental runs like YOUR airline, but Continental has a union unlike your carrier, and if you remember from when you were back in the states, unions have a say in how the company will be run.

2. I'm not remaining with ExpressJet, I'm putting my personal bet of being on the street for 28 months.

3. I'm not going to wait to be recalled.

Back