Spirit March 24 Opening

Most internet forums can quickly become a hive mind that create a narrative and Spirit is an easy target right now. The dispatchers desperately want a new contract, and they absolutely deserve it, so they are frustrated and venting. The recent events with the merger do not help anything at all. If you're interested in Spirit, you should apply and do the interview if offered. You can ask management the tough questions and get their own take on it. After that, you can take everything you've read and everything from the interview into consideration on whether you want to accept an offer if they give you one. Do your due diligence and make a decision that is best for you.

Not want but NEED a new contract with the cost of living rising drastically and a contract that is expired made 5 years ago doesn’t come even close to helping. In the last contract itself it states management has the ability to raise the year one pay to the year 3 to atleast be “competitive pay” which is currently stated in the posting for this job… I do agree everyone should see for themselves but management won’t give you a straight answer and it’s should show that most people leaving are people who haven’t even made a year yet. The last class alone that was hired has lost many and that should speak for itself to management.

What's the saying? "People don't quit jobs, they quit managers". For all its quirks, I think we can all agree that this job isn't inherently overbearing or stressful once you get out of the regional setting. Seems like Spirit's dispatch management is willfully tarnishing their reputation by blatantly refusing to care, even after both G4 and F9 left them in the dust with their most recent contract revisions.

I recently had the chance to talk to a co-worker at the regional I left who was from Florida, and asked them if they had any desire to work at NK given the current state of things. As homesick as he was, even he wasn't wanting to touch them with a 10 foot pole. So if they can't even attract locals? What kind of talent can they even attract outside of the freshly minted and green newbies being turned out of the dispatcher mills?

What's the saying? "People don't quit jobs, they quit managers". For all its quirks, I think we can all agree that this job isn't inherently overbearing or stressful once you get out of the regional setting. Seems like Spirit's dispatch management is willfully tarnishing their reputation by blatantly refusing to care, even after both G4 and F9 left them in the dust with their most recent contract revisions.

I recently had the chance to talk to a co-worker at the regional I left who was from Florida, and asked them if they had any desire to work at NK given the current state of things. As homesick as he was, even he wasn't wanting to touch them with a 10 foot pole. So if they can't even attract locals? What kind of talent can they even attract outside of the freshly minted and green newbies being turned out of the dispatcher mills?
They'll hire internal of course.

Hell yeah. My last merch was from a show I went to in 2010. I need to update my collection. Although this summer’s Unity tour locations are kinda whack. Thank god for non revving!

this is a good point. i remember hearing how low the morale was at my current airline during the extended negotiations. then once we got a new contract, everything was right again (for most people). granted, we weren’t dealing with the kinds of issues spirit is facing now with the p&w issues and the failed merger, so a new contract could be a little further away than everyone is hoping
Yeah if it was just about a contract it would be a different story. But it’s about a lot more than that.
Even with a new contract that I guarantee will be under industry standard given the situation they’re in, but there is also the whole management out right disrespects the dispatch group on a daily basis. Getting a new contract isn’t going to change that or the morale. Which is why they still have people over that 2 year mark leaving. Best of luck to spirit airlines but if someone were to ask me if they should work there I would advise against it.

Yeah, I'd like to know as well.
Did they touch on pay? If they did, did they say "we're competitive" or "we're working on a nice raise now" or "you'll make $29 an hour in a very high cost of living area" or did they just skip that altogether?
Overtime is readily available and you can swap shifts as much as you’d like. Pay? Clears throat* we can start you on year 3 pay but we won’t

Is it really worth applying at Spirit given their financial condition? I read somewhere that they are bleeding cash and after the merger fell through they may not be able to hang on much longer.

Is it really worth applying at Spirit given their financial condition? I read somewhere that they are bleeding cash and after the merger fell through they may not be able to hang on much longer.
If you are from Florida, have family and friends there, and you know for certain that's where you want to live and no where else then go for it. The flight benefits are good, the experience with international operations is good, schedule is good, being able to do trades is great, BUT pay is terrible and management is atrocious. Given their current financial situation you are better off working at a regional or staying at your regional and waiting for much better opportunities to come up. If they do go full nosedive and start furloughing people or straight up firing people you can always find other DX work in south Florida for charter companies or cargo IF that's where you want to live. Other than that if you're looking for the next step in your DX career or you just started and are not from Florida DO NOT work there. Spirit is a dead end, they are just another DX farm constantly losing people with the average time spent per DX is around 1-2 years before they leave for a better situation and I can only see things getting worse as time goes on.

If you are from Florida, have family and friends there, and you know for certain that's where you want to live and no where else then go for it. The flight benefits are good, the experience with international operations is good, schedule is good, being able to do trades is great, BUT pay is terrible and management is atrocious. Given their current financial situation you are better off working at a regional or staying at your regional and waiting for much better opportunities to come up. If they do go full nosedive and start furloughing people or straight up firing people you can always find other DX work in south Florida for charter companies or cargo IF that's where you want to live. Other than that if you're looking for the next step in your DX career or you just started and are not from Florida DO NOT work there. Spirit is a dead end, they are just another DX farm constantly losing people with the average time spent per DX is around 1-2 years before they leave for a better situation and I can only see things getting worse as time goes on.
as someone who spent a little time there, agreed. some of the friends i made there was really the only positive to come from my experience there. since it was never my end goal to stay, it would’ve made much more financial sense to stay put at the regional i was at. oh well, even bad experience is experience

Back