Delta MEC Recalls

Very true. Your chair up in DTW is one of the best to have on your side. He doesn't fit the mold as you describe though as he is elected, not appointed.

How does Council 66 'gerrymander'?

Well, most of us would have liked a voice to select our new FO representative, however the timing of the resignation of the previous rep was done in a way that we weren't able to do so.

Not saying the new representative is a bad guy, I'm not, hell I don't even know anything about him (see, part of the problem of the way it was handled) but that's not the way we should be conducting the pilot's business.

Some folks were bugging the crap out of me to run, but I didn't have a chance to. But I'm leaving the council anyway so whut ev's.

Well, most of us would have liked a voice to select our new FO representative, however the timing of the resignation of the previous rep was done in a way that we weren't able to do so.

Not saying the new representative is a bad guy, I'm not, hell I don't even know anything about him (see, part of the problem of the way it was handled) but that's not the way we should be conducting the pilot's business.

Some folks were bugging the crap out of me to run, but I didn't have a chance to. But I'm leaving the council anyway so whut ev's.

Yeah that was BS.

I know the Chair of Council 20 relatively well (we served together when we were EVPs). GREAT guy and great pilot advocate.

So that is around 108 hours of credit per month for a full time ALPA guy?

Which is considerably more than most line people.

That's the highest min day in our contract. More than line pilots, more than sick days, more than friggin bereavement leave.

That's the highest min day in our contract. More than line pilots, more than sick days, more than friggin bereavement leave.

And considerably higher than one should make doing union work. Unless, you have an 'averaging clause' in the policy manual.

Back in the day at CJC, full time buys got 85 hours. That was it. No going out and picking up a four day to inflate it to 110 hours, if you flew it reduced ALPA's bill to the company.

And considerably higher than one should make doing union work. Unless, you have an 'averaging clause' in the policy manual.

Back in the day at CJC, full time buys got 85 hours. That was it. No going out and picking up a four day to inflate it to 110 hours, if you flew it reduced ALPA's bill to the company.

I think it should be pretty much seniority based. Bid like everybody else, drop what needs to be dropped in order to do union business, get paid for what you miss. If you do union business on a non flying day, you should get normal min day.

I understand that it's important and mostly thankless work. But in really think if you make it worth more than line flying, you run the risk of 1) attracting the wrong people (that's not what I currently think our problem is, but the potential exists), and 2) making people already in the union do anything it takes to remain in it.

The increase in ALPA min day came as part of the PBS LOA, which the union very much championed. While I'm a big fan of our PBS, I was very much on the fence when the vote happened. My main reason for the yes vote was that if extended our contract amendable date. At the time, I thought that would allow for us to wait for better economic conditions. But there are many who believe that ALPA fought so hard for the PBS LOA was because of the min day carrot for them. While I have enjoyed the end result of that LOA, I did question their motives at the time.

I'm of the school of thought that if something extends your amendable date, OPEN THE DAMNED CONTRACT! Or ask later. You basically got a brand new contract with what the company wanted.

I'm of the school of thought that if something extends your amendable date, OPEN THE DAMNED CONTRACT! Or ask later. You basically got a brand new contract with what the company wanted.

Yeah. It definitely didn't work how I hoped. Obviously the company knew about the merger and didn't want to negotiate twice.

I thought "we have guys on furlough, the economy still blows, maybe now isn't the right time." Which is pretty much how I feel now.

I think it should be pretty much seniority based. Bid like everybody else, drop what needs to be dropped in order to do union business, get paid for what you miss. If you do union business on a non flying day, you should get normal min day.

I understand that it's important and mostly thankless work. But in really think if you make it worth more than line flying, you run the risk of 1) attracting the wrong people (that's not what I currently think our problem is, but the potential exists), and 2) making people already in the union do anything it takes to remain in it.

The increase in ALPA min day came as part of the PBS LOA, which the union very much championed. While I'm a big fan of our PBS, I was very much on the fence when the vote happened. My main reason for the yes vote was that if extended our contract amendable date. At the time, I thought that would allow for us to wait for better economic conditions. But there are many who believe that ALPA fought so hard for the PBS LOA was because of the min day carrot for them. While I have enjoyed the end result of that LOA, I did question their motives at the time.

The company would rather have the ALPA drops in the system ahead of time so they can work around coverage. The other problem with that is if you have three days 'off' but are doing union work on those days 'off', you are really working and should count as such to prevent fatigue issues. Yes, ALPA work is fatiguing, in a different way than line flying, but it does get exhausting.

Something similar to what you are saying is if a pilot who is a full time union buy can credit 90 hours a month as a line pilot with his seniority in October, he should get paid 90 hours for the month of union work. If he can credit 98 in July, he should get paid 98 hours for that month. Some ALPA Policy Manuals do allow for that and in my mind, is also very fair.

What our MEC Chair is compensated is defined within our contract. At present, he does not receive the 6 hour a day credit. He receives a fixed amount every month. I'll leave it up to others to find what that amount is - I can't do all the work myself.

The 6 hours of credit per day originated from our previous Director of Flight Ops stating that 6 hours for 8 hours of "office" work was appropriate, considering pilots pulled from the line for Company administration/technical pilot duties are compensated 6 hours a day for a days work.

I have no comment on anything else. :)

Another thing that should be mentioned is MEC Chairs who get paid for an aircraft they aren't even trained on (but hey it pays more).

Ask me how I know this has happened.

Two quick things:

First, our line average line divisor is maxed out right now. A typical line pilot working min days off (so, everybody) would probably see between 100-110 hours of credit at the end of the month. You'd get the first 95 in the line award, and then the remainder in soft time. The ASA contract might not allow for as much soft time, though to be frank, I've never looked through it so I don't know.

Second, I think our flight instructors are getting paid 6 hours per event, so it exists in our contract for "regular" pilots.

This is how ours work. We got a LOA a few years ago to allow for a few guys to be on permanent ALPA FPL so the company could staff appropriately and our important guys could have the time off without having to leave it to the discretion of the company . I believe it is 85 hrs credit minus per diem.

Right now I think only two people have it, our MEC chairman and the head of our negotiating committee. We did have one more than did negotiations plus ran the grievance committee and was an EVP but he just got hired at a major.

All guys are current and fly at least one trip a month minimum. The rest of us that need drops have to wait until the day prior before the company will actually drop it. Really sucks when you are trying to plan for a meeting.

At PSA if a guy was going to be out for the whole month (and that was normally just the MEC Chair and MAYBE the NC Chair) they'd be paid for the line they could have held. The MEC chair prior to the current one was on full time leave pretty much his whole two years (despite not much going on... ok... ANYTHING going on) and then would pick up flying on his days "off". Super sketchy. The new contract awards guys 105% pay for any trips missed due to ALPA leave. The reason for this was that it was generally a pay cut to go on leave because you were missing out on the per diem (unless you were on the road with ALPA and getting it that way) and the block or better pay protection. We ran the numbers and the difference was about 5%.

I'm sorry, but do you work five days a week? Do you answer phone calls and emails around the clock?

Comparing a full-time union position to a line pilot's position is asinine. Until you're ready to give up your life and devote it entirely to union work, you shouldn't be complaining if a full-time guy is getting a bit more than the average line guy.

I'm sorry, but do you work five days a week? Do you answer phone calls and emails around the clock?

Comparing a full-time union position to a line pilot's position is asinine. Until you're ready to give up your life and devote it entirely to union work, you shouldn't be complaining if a full-time guy is getting a bit more than the average line guy.
I like your points but I think there is anger when they do not see results. You know as well as I do that there are times when some people abuse the privilege of representing the pilot group.

Back