Delta MEC Recalls

Then those people should be recalled. You don't design a system around abusers. You get rid of the abusers.

I hope that's what's going on, but the braintrust cut our communications lines before all this childishness went down.

And PO talking about his inability to do his job? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH, as if he ever.

Two quick things:

First, our line average line divisor is maxed out right now. A typical line pilot working min days off (so, everybody) would probably see between 100-110 hours of credit at the end of the month. You'd get the first 95 in the line award, and then the remainder in soft time. The ASA contract might not allow for as much soft time, though to be frank, I've never looked through it so I don't know.

Second, I think our flight instructors are getting paid 6 hours per event, so it exists in our contract for "regular" pilots.

ASA Contract allows room for plenty of soft time, especially with all the deadheading and sitting(Duty Rig). 111 Credit on 95 block with 13 days off this month.

This whole thing is an absolute joke regardless of how you felt about the current MEC leadership. Frankly I don't have an opinion of Roberts but I know the process to get rid of him stunk. One of the conspirators like @Derg mentioned was not exactly elected on the up and up. That's not a retort on the rep just an example of the culture of cronyism that turns so many off.

DALPA just recently went on the offensive against DPA. Great, probably wasn't even really needed at this point because DPA popularity had pretty much peaked and was not much of a threat. But the point was that they claimed to be responding to the pilot group's desire for more information and transparency. Great, I applaud that course. But if you are going to claim to be more able to represent pilots as well as questioning the integrity of DPA you better lead by example.

Then we have the recall shenanigans. Perhaps it was an effort on the part of some to change the leadership for the better but the jury is still out on that one but it doesn't sound likely. Was it illegal? No, absolutely not but Joe pilot interpreted it for what it really seems to be...just another example of back room BS politics, allegiances, power grabs, and cronyism that we've all come to expect from many of the people who "represent" us but are rarely seen in our flight decks. The line pilots were largely kept in the dark and are still being kept in the dark. More of the same DALPA MEC if you just knew what we know, we'll tell you what we think you need to know when we feel you need to know it BS. Gee I wonder why a group as dysfunctional as DPA attracted the attention of so many line pilots. DALPA can't seem to get out of it's own way.

Derg said:
I hope that's what's going on, but the braintrust cut our communications lines before all this childishness went down. And PO talking about his inability to do his job? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH, as if he ever.

That happening to the mainline pilot group too huh? I'm embarrassed to even share that..but c'est le vie...management decision...not leadership. (And no, I'm not talking about my Company...)

I've come to the conclusion that ALPA is an organization with enormous potential... and enormous flaws.

With regard to those who strive to work in the various union capacities, some are attracted to union work because they truly do care about the people they work with. Some are attracted to union work because they only care about themselves and wish to 'redistribute' portions of the collective value of bargaining efforts for their own personal agendas. Others are attracted to union work because their ego pushes them to be seen as more important in the grand scheme of things... than they really are. Still others enjoy the life of full time flight-pay loss so that they can have the rewards of being an airline pilot, without all of the bothersome overnights and early duty-ins.

What ALPA desperately needs, and sorely lacks, is some sort of introspective capability to truly determine if the will of the pilot group, and not the politics of the moment, is being carried out. Whether this is an inspector general, a board of directors, a KGB/NSA type of entity, or a combination of all three, an assessment carried out by a body other than the local leadership is both required, and absent.

Whether the union is metaphorically more of a mirror, or a motivator, of each individual pilot group is probably a subjective determination.

I could careless what the motivation of the volunteer is as long as they 1) work hard 2) remember who they represent and act accordingly 3) work within the intent of the rules that govern union work.

If a volunteer meets those objectives and benefits someway in their view of what is personally important, more power to them.

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion that ALPA is an organization with enormous potential... and enormous flaws.

With regard to those who strive to work in the various union capacities, some are attracted to union work because they truly do care about the people they work with. Some are attracted to union work because they only care about themselves and wish to 'redistribute' portions of the collective value of bargaining efforts for their own personal agendas. Others are attracted to union work because their ego pushes them to be seen as more important in the grand scheme of things... than they really are. Still others enjoy the life of full time flight-pay loss so that they can have the rewards of being an airline pilot, without all of the bothersome overnights and early duty-ins.

What ALPA desperately needs, and sorely lacks, is some sort of introspective capability to truly determine if the will of the pilot group, and not the politics of the moment, is being carried out. Whether this is an inspector general, a board of directors, a KGB/NSA type of entity, or a combination of all three, an assessment carried out by a body other than the local leadership is both required, and absent.

Whether the union is metaphorically more of a mirror, or a motivator, of each individual pilot group is probably a subjective determination.

This should be done by two parties currently built into the system-- the MEC (the elected local reps) and the pilot group as a whole. It would require, however, that the local reps keep their eye on the prize and stay out of the political cesspool and for the pilot group to hold them accountable. Difficult to do when apathy runs high. Not sure another layer adds anything versus properly using what you have.

This is why I will never, ever pursue any kind of leadership position in a union. I'm all for running a committee that can directly help out the pilot group, but that's about the extent of it for me.

Back