Delta MEC Recalls

Oh the blogger or something? If it's the blogger, after the third installment I wanted to write "This can all be solved if you give him all the credit cards back and earn your own way" :)

Ehh, I went about a paragraph on that before, again, thinking the author can't see the forest for the trees. Have him quit and become a substitute teacher then blog about how life sucks in the double wide and how she can't shop at Pottery Barn anymore! :)

Ehh, I went about a paragraph on that before, again, thinking the author can't see the forest for the trees. Have him quit and become a substitute teacher then blog about how life sucks in the double wide and how she can't shop at Pottery Barn anymore! :)

A lot of what she writes is embellished, I believe. Her husband once posted that he actually comes up with a bunch of the story lines. Now, whether that is true or was just to save face, who knows.

I was going to say JC named!
Capture.JPG

...and she knowingly married a pilot.

#uptownproblems

She is/was a flight attendant for US Airways. I'm pretty sure she knew what she was getting into. Remember, it's writing for entertainment. Probably 98% of us would have to "spice things up" if we were to blog about our daily lives just to keep people interested.

She is/was a flight attendant for US Airways. I'm pretty sure she knew what she was getting into. Remember, it's writing for entertainment. Probably 98% of us would have to "spice things up" if we were to blog about our daily lives just to keep people interested.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. My life at work is surrounded by danger and adventure. Whether I'm preflighting another delayed flight to/from Newark, reprogramming the FMS because the ACARS crapped the bed and we had to reset the entire system, or whether I'm not being paid for deicing in Chicago, my life at work is about as exciting as it gets.

Everybody should be this lucky.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. My life at work is surrounded by danger and adventure. Whether I'm preflighting another delayed flight to/from Newark, reprogramming the FMS because the ACARS crapped the bed and we had to reset the entire system, or whether I'm not being paid for deicing in Chicago, my life at work is about as exciting as it gets.

Never fear, KC should spice things up for you...

<sarcasm>

There's occasionally some funny stuff in there but more often than not it's kind of crass and disgusting. It may remind @ATN_Pilot why he doesn't get married but it reminds me of why I would never marry most of the FA's I meet (not all). No doubt they can say the same about a great many pilots. We certainly have more than a few that don't exactly define classy.

OMG do you hunt and peck?!? :D

jtrain609 said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. My life at work is surrounded by danger and adventure. Whether I'm preflighting another delayed flight to/from Newark, reprogramming the FMS because the ACARS crapped the bed and we had to reset the entire system, or whether I'm not being paid for deicing in Chicago, my life at work is about as exciting as it gets. Everybody should be this lucky.

Remind me why you are not getting paid while driving?

Chairman’s Perspective and
Interim First Officer Representative Perspective

Chairman’s Perspective

Fellow Pilots,

Last week, the MEC went through a painful recall process resulting in the ouster of Chairman Kingsley Roberts by a narrow margin. Motions to recall each of the administration’s three other elected officials were unsuccessful.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Chairman Roberts for his many years of dedication to the Delta pilots.

The turn of events certainly came as a surprise to many of us. I have received a plethora of calls and e-mails, and while most were responded to promptly, I humbly apologize if any inquiries went unanswered.

The Roberts recall was ratified with a roll-call vote, triggered when less than two-thirds but more than half of the senate voted for the recall. A two-thirds senatorial vote is required to recall an MEC officer, or 13 of the 19 Delta MEC voting members. A subsequent roll-call vote is successful when 50-percent-plus-1 of our members vote in the affirmative. Senatorial votes occur via secret ballot, while roll call is recorded.

When the senatorial vote failed to reach the required two-thirds majority, with 10 voting in favor, 9 against, a roll-call vote was requested by one of the Atlanta C44 first officer representatives. The MEC then voted 6,145 in favor, 4,617 against, with Council 66 captains representing 619 against and F/Os representing 897 in favor. Your reps were split on this vote.

To be frank, I do not believe that recall—or resorting to the use of a roll-call vote—was an appropriate response to whatever problems existed between the MEC chairman and his administration. I took many pages of notes at the meeting and witnessed several differing points of view. I actively participated in the entire process. There was no evidence of criminal behavior, malfeasance, abuse, embezzlement, or the like, all recallable offenses in my view. Did this rise to the level of a swift and sudden recall? I think not.

Observers and participants of the recall—which was held in open session—witnessed something more akin to a well-orchestrated coup d’état than a recall. The testimony was light on facts and strong on innuendo. I am critical of the way that this situation was handled, because recall of the chairman could easily have been avoided.

An effective chairman delegates, and his administration follows through. A good chairman engages as many parties as possible. Clearly, the chairman was more than willing to delegate, and in a bipartisan way at that. From my perspective, he was well engaged. He let go of staff members, but it must be recognized that appointed individuals serve at the discretion of the chair. As an outward sign of willingness to compromise, most of those who were let go were brought back to his team. So, where did the problems lie?

It was said that the MEC did not perform optimally for the Delta pilots, but I did not see that to be the case. In my opinion, the Roberts’ Administration was far more “bottom-up” focused than previous administrations. I have witnessed personal and ideological differences between the chairman and some of his staff, which may have reflected a lack of confidence in him. Those shortcomings, in my opinion, did not warrant a recall.

For those looking for changes within ALPA and view the recall as a positive, I preach caution. The recall was a divisive maneuver pitting one part of the pilot group against another at a time when unity is more important than ever. In sharp contrast to what happened here, effective change is best realized from within.

I am committed to working even harder to see an action like this recall does not happen again and will carry that message forward into the upcoming MEC chairman election. I will also work to change current MEC policy regarding recall votes. I believe we should raise the threshold for recalls in the constitution and bylaws, thereby forcing future MECs and administrations to work more closely with one another. If you have felt out of the loop, there is a reason for that. As an organization, we need to work to increase communication at all levels. I am certain we will. The organization is far from perfect, but it is not broken. We learn from our mistakes.

Despite differences at the MEC level, committee work has continued in other areas that affect us all, with some positive results. Scheduling and Contract Administration members are standing by to assist you, as always. The Negotiating Committee is pressing forward with work on FAR 117. Attorneys on staff are ready and able to assist if the CPO calls. And I remain committed to serving the needs of the Council 66 pilots. Your input is valued.

This is indeed a setback, but the work of the pilots will continue. The best way to have an effect is to provide input to your representatives, or consider volunteering. At the very least, I encourage you to exercise your right to vote in our upcoming council election.

I will continue to work on your behalf to the very best of my abilities.

Best regards,

Tom Brielmann
C66 Captain Representative and Chairman

Back