Commuting Sucks

You know, commuting never really bugged me. CAL has 5 direct flights a day from DFW to EWR, all betweeen 50%-75% full. Hell, it's harder to get to and from IAH from DFW then EWR!!

"But what about Southwest? What about Love?"

Yeah, right. Like I'm going to spend time getting bumped from 2 or 3 DFW flights, then drive all the way to DAL, pay for parking, and try to get on another flight there. I'd waste 3 hours EASY, and I might as well jump on one of the 735's to EWR, take a nap, eat a sandwich, and do the NYT crossword rather than stress about making my show time in IAH.

But you know what? It's all soon to be a moot point. My incredibly talented, gorgeous and intelligent girlfriend had just landed an advertising job in Manhattan, so we're up and moving to Princeton NJ. 45 minute train ride to the airport, 55 to NY Penn, and we can even ride the same rail, and have cocktails on the way home. And Princeton is BEAUTIFUL. I get to live at base! YEEEHAW!!

[ QUOTE ]

So, where in NJ/NY should I start looking to live?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Monmouth County, NJ

[ QUOTE ]
You know, commuting never really bugged me. CAL has 5 direct flights a day from DFW to EWR, all betweeen 50%-75% full. Hell, it's harder to get to and from IAH from DFW then EWR!!

"But what about Southwest? What about Love?"

Yeah, right. Like I'm going to spend time getting bumped from 2 or 3 DFW flights, then drive all the way to DAL, pay for parking, and try to get on another flight there. I'd waste 3 hours EASY, and I might as well jump on one of the 735's to EWR, take a nap, eat a sandwich, and do the NYT crossword rather than stress about making my show time in IAH.

[/ QUOTE ]Jimbo... Yer killin' me man!
[ QUOTE ]
But you know what? It's all soon to be a moot point. My incredibly talented, gorgeous and intelligent girlfriend had just landed an advertising job in Manhattan, so we're up and moving to Princeton NJ. 45 minute train ride to the airport, 55 to NY Penn, and we can even ride the same rail, and have cocktails on the way home. And Princeton is BEAUTIFUL. I get to live at base! YEEEHAW!!

[/ QUOTE ] Dude, Congrats! I knew you guys were hoping for that! That is really wonderful! Now I'll have a new place in the North East to visit! I know it costs a bit more... but make sure you get a spare bedroom! LOL!
wink.gif

Bob

Bob!!
AAAGAGAGHHH!!
Long time no post buddy!!! How's things??

Have to append my previous post for present company--- I don't have little ones, so a 40 minute flight home dosen't mean as much to me since I don't have to worry about: first steps, class plays, ball games (esp. championships), recitals, and any number of things that are infinitely more important than whatever is going on in my pitiful little life. Kids change EVERYTHING, and I would gladly be based anywhere on the planet were I given the privelige of having them.

As it stands, I'm unmarried, childless, and therefore almost completely without any kind of real responsibility, so it's all very well for me to up and galavant to the northeast.

Bob, you and yours are welcome at any time, at any hour. Just bring sleeping bags and/or an inflatable matress. Jimmy can only swing a one bedroom up in those parts
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Commuting is always an adventure

[/ QUOTE ]

Specially if your now on the No Fly List!
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

Security at its best!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Commuting is always an adventure

[/ QUOTE ]

Specially if your now on the No Fly List!
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

Security at its best!

[/ QUOTE ]

You have got to be kidding. Are you saying you're a 121 pilot and on the No Fly List. WTFO?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As it stands, I'm unmarried, childless, and therefore almost completely without any kind of real responsibility, so it's all very well for me to up and galavant to the northeast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn - the American Dream!!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I always say that we've got to take care of ourselves and look out for one another because, as pilots, we're all we've got.

Good management or bad management, when the fecal matter hits the fan, the only people you really have on your side are your fellow crewmembers and that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree fully. You're always going to have the bad apples that look out for themselves. I've told some jumpseating horror stories of my own here, but I always followed the etiquette.....always acquiesed to those heading to work. Always kept the attitude that my being able to jumpseat was a privilige, and still I ran into cool people as well as a-holes. Learned the tricks along the way too......like trying to jump from Chicago to Denver is next to impossible.
smile.gif
Like jumping out of New York or Chicago, and heading to LAX, LAS, SAN, SFO or some other west coast destination where I could "buy" some hours, and have many more chances to catch an eastbound America West or Southwest to PHX. Still remember the SWA pilot in Tucson. I was loading some last minute cargo, and was waiting for the mainfest and the last truck to show up. SWA pilot shows up on the ramp from one of the terminal vehicles. His car had broke down at home, and had a flight to get to in PHX, and seemed somewhat deperate. Asked if I was headed that way. Said sure, hop in....toss your bags in the nose compartment. We'll be out of here shortly. Could use the company and someone to talk to. Started up, let him do the takeoff and the flight, and even land at PHX. At the cargo ramp (the old one west of Terminal 2 and the old Terminal 1 location), borrowed a car and took him to Terminal 4 to catch his plane, then back to my plane to close it up and secure it for the night. Guy was appreciative......figured someday if I'm in such a bind, maybe the same can be done for me.

Gotta take care of each other, and not let the bad apples get you down. I've run into enough of them in my time.

And be honest who you fly for too!

Geez, we had a jumpseater to Atlanta who introduced himself to us as a "Northwest Captain" about 40 minutes prior to departure. The captain and I go off to Starbucks to get some caffiene and he tells the jumpseater to check in with us onboard.

After doing the standard ID check and all, he was actually Pinnacle.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Pinnacle jumpseater, but it's a little jarring when someone misrepresents himself and now we've got to dig out the FOM to make sure that they're on the approved list 5 minutes prior to pushback.

PeanuckleCRJ, kick the guy in the groin for me!
smile.gif
sarcasm.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And be honest who you fly for too!

Geez, we had a jumpseater to Atlanta who introduced himself to us as a "Northwest Captain" about 40 minutes prior to departure. The captain and I go off to Starbucks to get some caffiene and he tells the jumpseater to check in with us onboard.

After doing the standard ID check and all, he was actually Pinnacle.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Pinnacle jumpseater, but it's a little jarring when someone misrepresents himself and now we've got to dig out the FOM to make sure that they're on the approved list 5 minutes prior to pushback.

PeanuckleCRJ, kick the guy in the groin for me!
smile.gif
sarcasm.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you even give him a ride after misrepresenting himself like that? That's just weird that he would say that.

Now, see. That's just wrong. I would have no problem with someone telling my grandmother or Joe Doesn't-Know-Nothin'-Bout-No-Airlines that they flew for Northwest. Heck, even people in Memphis don't really know how Pinnacle and Mesaba are, and they fly most of the flights out of there. They just see it as a "little Northwest plane." Now, if you're jumpseating and interacting with people that know the business, you're just being stupid if you say you fly for Northwest instead of Pinnacle. As a pilot, this guy should KNOW that not all airlines have the same jumpseat agreements.....

It's not my jumpseat, and in addition, he 'reintroduced' himself about five minutes prior to push so we were time compressed.

Back