Hey, pilots: make sure you have enough insurance. Mine just saved me from ruin.

Rosstafari

Likes tacos
This would’ve been better timed during open enrollment, but:

MAKE SURE THAT YOUR INSURANCE COVERS YOUR WORST CASE SCENARIO.

Because mine just saved me.

Rewind to November. After a four year grind to make it to 1500 hours, I had just finished ground and was working through IOE when I noticed a dark spot in my vision. It was a detached retina. It’s both medically disqualifying and an emergency that quickly leads to complete blindness if not treated immediately.

Thankfully, my doctors caught it in time and I went in for surgery the next day. Thanks to their skill and the help of AMAS, I just received an unqualified approval to return to flight. Many in my position have to wait a year or more, if they ever fly again. I was lucky.

As rough as those four months were - I sort of dropped off the face of the earth, dealing with the stress - it could’ve been so much worse. The medical expenses could’ve put my kids through college. I was no longer getting paid. And the bills kept coming.

But, a few months before, I had maxed out my coverage and disability insurance. At the time, I could’ve really used that extra premium money for student loans. But had I not done so, I would’ve lost my house, car, pulled my kids from all their activities… it would’ve ruined me and my family. Thanks to insurance, nearly everything was covered.

So please take a moment to make sure you’re covered for the worst. Insure for the disaster scenarios, the ones that happen to other people… because one day you might be that other person. I was in great shape, a former college athlete, relatively young. I mean, I swam away from a plane crash! I felt invincible. These kinds of things don’t happen to people like me. Until they do.

A few clicks on a website in ground school meant the difference between getting my life back and losing everything I had worked for.

Insure for the worst, guys.

Glad your doing better!

I went through the same thing about 3 years ago when I broke my neck in a motorcycle accident. We had just closed on our house a week before and had used up most of our cash for that. I have pretty much maxed out all my insurances and that kept us a float and the medical bills to a minimum till I got back to work.

For those of us with ALPA look into their insurances, I had their accident insurance, paid out a nice sum a week after the accident and the premium is around $12 a month. You can also do a wellness claim for $100 every year. Well worth it IMO.

Rewind to November. After a four year grind to make it to 1500 hours, I had just finished ground and was working through IOE when I noticed a dark spot in my vision. It was a detached retina. It’s both medically disqualifying and an emergency that quickly leads to complete blindness if not treated immediately.

Thankfully, my doctors caught it in time and I went in for surgery the next day. Thanks to their skill and the help of AMAS, I just received an unqualified approval to return to flight. Many in my position have to wait a year or more, if they ever fly again. I was lucky.

As rough as those four months were - I sort of dropped off the face of the earth, dealing with the stress - it could’ve been so much worse. The medical expenses could’ve put my kids through college. I was no longer getting paid. And the bills kept coming.

But, a few months before, I had maxed out my coverage and disability insurance. At the time, I could’ve really used that extra premium money for student loans. But had I not done so, I would’ve lost my house, car, pulled my kids from all their activities… it would’ve ruined me and my family. Thanks to insurance, nearly everything was covered.

So please take a moment to make sure you’re covered for the worst. Insure for the disaster scenarios, the ones that happen to other people… because one day you might be that other person. I was in great shape, a former college athlete, relatively young. I mean, I swam away from a plane crash! I felt invincible. These kinds of things don’t happen to people like me. Until they do.

A few clicks on a website in ground school meant the difference between getting my life back and losing everything I had worked for.

Glad to hear you’re back up and running, but wait a minute - are you the pilot that ditched near BFI and swam to shore?

You have a boatload of TMAAT stories to tell in those upcoming interviews.

bleep • in LEGEND

1711071186773.png

My premiums hurt, but yeah. I always kind of joke “well, I could get my legs run over by a bus tomorrow…”, but you really never do know what can happen. The extra money is worth the peace of mind.
Also a good plug for participating in your airline or union’s mutual aid fund, if they have one.

My premiums hurt, but yeah. I always kind of joke “well, I could get my legs run over by a bus tomorrow…”, but you really never do know what can happen. The extra money is worth the peace of mind.
Also a good plug for participating in your airline or union’s mutual aid fund, if they have one.

Very soon you'll be at the point where even the "bougjie Cadillac plans" are such a pittance of your compensation, you'll just throw money at it.

Very soon you'll be at the point where even the "bougjie Cadillac plans" are such a pittance of your compensation, you'll just throw money at it.
I’m already very seriously considering my “stupid” car

Absolutely great advice. A lot of people don’t appreciate how important std/ltd can be. I say that as I’m currently sitting on LTD unsure if I’ll ever get back to flying. My biggest concern now is if/when my airline declares bk if I will still keep getting ltd. Congrats on getting back in the air!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quoted for gospel.

Back