Commuting Sucks

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
I have decided that commuting really sucks. Especially to EWR where a bird farts and there is a delay.

Yesterday, I was trying to commute in to EWR for my 6:30 pm report time. I decided to try a 1pm, 2pm, and 3pm flight (listed on all) to get me to work on time. The earlier flights were all overbooked, so I was worried about getting bumped to the 1pm anyways, and figured I'd just try that one.

Well, I show up, and it's on time. While standing at the gate, it changes to an hour delay. Ok, that will still get me in on time. So I'm on the cockpit jumpseat, since the gate decides to put people from the next flight on this one. Well as they are boarding first class, the gate runs down and says, "You'll never believe this." Another delay. 3 1/2 more hours. We'll be departing AT my show time.

So I start going to American and United, seeing when their flights will leave. All delayed. Won't make my show time.

So, a decision to make. Just call in sick, collect my 22 hours of pay, and go home with a six pack and lay by the pool? Or be honest, tell the company what is going on, let them reassign me, and I'll hope for the best. Well, what seems like a dumb decision now, I tell them the TRUTH. I hate people who abuse sick time, because it's crying wolf and makes life difficult for those who are REALLY sick.

The truth got me a missed trip, and 22 hours of pay off my minimum guarantee for June AND July. So I had to do the carpet dance with the Chief Pilots. I called the CPs right after scheduling, and told them what was up. They just said ok, you should have come in earlier, maybe even the day before. Nobody makes us commute, which is true. So now I sit in EWR, trying to rebuild my schedule to get up to minimum guarantee for pay, watching my Hawaii trip get screwed!

I'd have to say the coolest person I have ever met in my life was the United Captain who came up to myself and my friend, and International FA trying to make her 9:30pm check-in. Just came up, and was more proactive in trying to get someone to work than I've ever seen. His comment? "We gotta look out for each other. You're ALPA, right?" Then made a comment about the two pilots who were at the opposite end of the spectrum...

As I'm waiting for the delayed EWR flight at CAL, so I can still come in for the evening for possible reassignment (saving face), two CAL pilots come and take the jumpseats. They had show times the following day, and wanted to get in as early as possible. Them AND two F/As with the same deal, show the next morning, with my friend and her 9:30pm show getting left behind. What ever happened to this "brotherhood?" Give me a break! I even mentioned the fact we had to be there that night, not the next day. They didn't care. Even were former Express pilots.

So what did I learn?

- Commuting sucks. Bad.
- There is no longer ANY type of brotherhood in aviation. Well, there is for a select few.
- Honesty will get you NOWHERE. Like I told the CAL pilot who said "you should have called in sick", I'd rather have my integrity than this job.
- Take the first flight out, or the last flight the previous day, for the rest of the summer. This summer is going to be BAD.
- Keep the crashpad.

So, where in NJ/NY should I start looking to live?
confused.gif

Oh, the earliest any flight arrived was 11:30pm. We pushed at 6:00pm, sat on the ground for 3 hours, me in the second jumpseat of the B737. I am not in a good mood.

I hear ya' man. I had my first experience with the joys of non-rev travel earlier this week when I took a mini-vacation to new orleans with my girlfriend.

There was an "insurance convention" in town that I didn't know about so we almost got stranded. The flight back home I booked us on had 15 open seats on sunday, when we showed up on wednesday it was overbooked by 5. We ended up splitting a car rental with another non-rev, drove to baton rouge and caught a flight into IAH from there (on a half full ERJ, every boeing out of MSY was overbooked for the rest of the day).

Chicago to Newark has to be brutal though....yikes. I've got an 8:30 show tomorrow but I think I'll just get up at 5 AM and make the 3 hour drive rather than risk a delay on the flight that arrives 5 minutes before show.

[ QUOTE ]
Chicago to Newark has to be brutal though....yikes. I've got an 8:30 show tomorrow but I think I'll just get up at 5 AM and make the 3 hour drive rather than risk a delay on the flight that arrives 5 minutes before show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea!

I could have driven from my house (leaving at the same time) to Newark Airport and arrived earlier than I did.

1 hour to the ORD airport, 7 hours in the ORD airport, 3 hours on the ground in the pad, 2 hours in flight, 1 hour to the hotel from EWR. Total, 14 hours. Now, driving time? 12 hours.
banghead.gif

There was a former Express, now CAL, commuter that wanted to avoid going to his crashpad like the plague with his early show (I can understand that). He also got royally screwed! So I let him crash at my hotel in the other bed. Pilots must stick together! Everyone remember that. Maybe we can reverse the negative trend that seems to have taken hold here.

Dude, I thought the hatred of ExpressJet people from CAL was just among the ground crews. Sucks that people that were even former XJT left ya high and dry.....

That sucks, royally.

We had an ExpressJet jumpseater trying to get home to see his two year old that flew EWR to DCA then DCA to ATL to try to fly to JAN this evening because everything was full, including the JAN flight.

I helped him look at loads, gave him some alternatives if he got stuck in ATL for the evening and made sure the gate agent knew that if anything freed up that we wanted to get this guy on the jet to get home. The captain told him if the agent said the flight was full to stand in the gate window just in case there was actually an open seat and we could raise hell.

Everything worked out and I thought he was going to hug us when he got the last seat on the aircraft.

I always say that we've got to take care of ourselves and look out for one another because, as pilots, we're all we've got.

Good management or bad management, when the fecal matter hits the fan, the only people you really have on your side are your fellow crewmembers and that's it.

Strange thing is that he looked a lot like me but had more grey hair. Weird.

[ QUOTE ]
So, a decision to make. Just call in sick, collect my 22 hours of pay, and go home with a six pack and lay by the pool? Or be honest, tell the company what is going on, let them reassign me, and I'll hope for the best. Well, what seems like a dumb decision now, I tell them the TRUTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, you know as well as I that no good deed goes unpunished! If your company isn't decent enough to allow a commuter clause in your contract, and you get bumped off your last-chance flight, you just got sick!

[ QUOTE ]
I
- Commuting sucks. Bad.
- There is no longer ANY type of brotherhood in aviation. Well, there is for a select few.
- Honesty will get you NOWHERE. Like I told the CAL pilot who said "you should have called in sick", I'd rather have my integrity than this job.

[/ QUOTE ]

There never has been that serious a brotherhood. I have horror stories about guys telling me to "go buy a ticket" etc.

There are always those nice people who understand the stress and horrors of commuting, and they are helpful. I admit it's gotten worse because you can't "sneak someone on" now. I've been an invisible jumpseater in the past, and I'm sure TSA has cracked down on that.

About honesty - Matt I have integrity to myself, but I led a dual life as a pilot. I was honest with other pilots, my wife and my church, but I learned that telling the truth about a commuting problem is very risky. Many incidents just like yours. Eagle was not a place to be honest. Call in sick or you are carpet dancing!

Mesa, on the other hand, was a little more flexible. I could call them and tell them I was stuck and there were cases where they put me NRMR - in USeless Air that's Non-Rev Must Ride - which means I bump a passenger!

As far as I know US is the only airline that actually does that for crew movement. I know AA never did it. Doug? Does Delta bump pax for crew movement? I mean actually tell a passenger that they have to get out of their seat?

Sounds like bad economics at first, but if you think about it - it is better to bump one passenger here than to strand 50 without a pilot there.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, a decision to make. Just call in sick, collect my 22 hours of pay, and go home with a six pack and lay by the pool? Or be honest, tell the company what is going on, let them reassign me, and I'll hope for the best. Well, what seems like a dumb decision now, I tell them the TRUTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, you know as well as I that no good deed goes unpunished! If your company isn't decent enough to allow a commuter clause in your contract, and you get bumped off your last-chance flight, you just got sick!

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a commuter clause, which I invoked. I still get a missed trip, but I don't get put on termination warning because of it.

[ QUOTE ]
As I'm waiting for the delayed EWR flight at CAL, so I can still come in for the evening for possible reassignment (saving face), two CAL pilots come and take the jumpseats. They had show times the following day, and wanted to get in as early as possible. Them AND two F/As with the same deal, show the next morning, with my friend and her 9:30pm show getting left behind. What ever happened to this "brotherhood?" Give me a break! I even mentioned the fact we had to be there that night, not the next day. They didn't care. Even were former Express pilots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying they should put themselves into your same position of possibly having to call in sick or miss their report time because they were nice and let you have the jumpseat. What if the same thing that happened to you happens to them in the morning?? I am all for letting someone take the jumpseat from me on an overbooked flight when I am commuting home, but getting to work is another story.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I know US is the only airline that actually does that for crew movement. I know AA never did it. Doug? Does Delta bump pax for crew movement? I mean actually tell a passenger that they have to get out of their seat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Northwest will turn a commuting pilot into an NRMR if they had a spot on a flight and a backup and they were unable to get onto either. It's not a good idea for this to happen a lot, though, I've heard.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a commuter clause, which I invoked. I still get a missed trip, but I don't get put on termination warning because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you get dinged for 22 hours from both June *and* July? I don't have a copy of the contract handy, is there some sort of penalty clause?

Yes, it does suck. I only go 115 miles and at times it is still very trying.

Do you have an EWR timetable? It helps when you need to find a gateway city into base from anywhere, even if it's back tracking or going way out of your way. My Skywest friend had to commute from SAN to SLC and every option on UA or DL was a bust out of every hub city in California. The anwser? Find a flight into SLC from some other, non hub city. She ended up going up on Southwest to SJC, then connecting to a SJC/RNO/SLC direct flight and made sign in.

Finding a flight to a smaller outlying city that has service into domicile, like my F/A friend did, might be the anwser when you are stuck too. Or even a flight to a city where shuttle or train service is an option. Ever consider MDW to ISP? WN has 5 non-stops a day and it's about 65 miles away from EWR. The bus from ORD to MDW & the cost of a shuttle from ISP to EWR may be less painful than walking the CPs carpet......

We had a commuter clause at ACA but not ASA.

Commuting does suck. I'm fortunate now that I can drive if the flights are full. In fact, if I give myself a safety flight in case I miss the first, I usually get there quicker if I drive 3.5 hours.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as I know US is the only airline that actually does that for crew movement. I know AA never did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Northwest will turn a commuting pilot into an NRMR if they had a spot on a flight and a backup and they were unable to get onto either. It's not a good idea for this to happen a lot, though, I've heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's a rarity. Depends on how many are on reserve. I tried for 8 flights to get to base and it was not going to happen. (Yeah, I shoulda drove...) I ended up calling and pulling the commuter policy. Turns out even the ready was on assignment so Screw Sched gave me a business pass to get to work as they had zero coverage. After all that It turned out they cancelled my turn (back to where I was coming from!) due to mx.
insane.gif

I talked to a guy who flys for Cal and commutes from the Socal to IAH. The way he does it is he flies out the day before so he doesn't miss his check in time and commutes home on the last day of his trip. And if he can't get on a flight he doesn't have to worry. Some people don't mind commuting. There is a guy on airwarriors who commutes from HNL to MSP. He said its not bad if you plan ahead.

For the rest of the year, I'll probably start commuting out a day early. Why not? Except maybe on those trips with a 3pm show time, I'll take the first flight out and sleep in the crew room. Some of my trips end after the last flight leaves.

I talked to a CAL international F/A whose roommate is moving out in a few months, and I might take her other room. Plus, a friend of mine who is also an international F/A is looking for a place, so she might take another room too. This might work out after all.

Commuting does suck.

That's part of the reason we're moving. No more oversold RJs between CVG and ORD!

It'll be so much less stress to just get in the car and drive the 1:45 instead of the awful commute out of ORD lately.

[ QUOTE ]
I talked to a guy who flys for Cal and commutes from the Socal to IAH. The way he does There is a guy on airwarriors who commutes from HNL to MSP. He said its not bad if you plan ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I flew with two pilots at NWA that live in Hawaii and are based in MSP. One on the 757, the other on the DC-10. The DC-10 guy lived in Lihue, so it's LIH - HNL - MSP for him. Start the trip off with a redeye and I guess he does the first flight the day after? At least there are HNL layovers so he can go home on those. The closing of the former HNL base has left a few doing this transpacific commute.

I even met one B-747-400 pilot who commutes to DTW from Kona. Unbelievable. That is at least two legs, and a redeye is likely one of them. Five or six time zones depending on the season and nearly 5,000 miles. There are two good things about this situation that I can think of. One is that since he flies the 747-400 he can probably just two 6 day, or one 9, 11, or 13 day trip and be done flying for the month. The other good thing is when he comes home for the time off it is to Kona, Hawaii.
cool.gif
Never saw him not wearing a Hawaiian shirt during his time in ground school for the 744.

The farthest commute that I heard of is one who currently is based in ANC and lives in Bangkok, Thailand.
crazy.gif

A good reason he doesn't mind it is that his wife goes along with him. They have no kids so she tags along.

Commuting is always an adventure. I have always been a commuter (and probably always will be) so I just accept it as part of the job. I'm also lucky that I live in a major hub that is NOT delay-prone and has 7 daily nonstops to my base. I also have non-rev privileges and cockpit access on three of the Big Six, which gives me lots of options if "Plan A" doesn't work out. This month, I'm going even further and commuting home on Airnet on a Lear!

I will say that my commute got about a thousand times easier when I moved from IAH back to CLT. IAH was usually a two-leg commute and CLT is a 50-minute nonstop flight to CMH unless something freaky happens. US Airways and PSA are always cool about putting me in the jumpseat if it is full in the back, and that has come in handy many times.

Looks like I may get the chance to shorten my commute even more soon if I can get based in DCA ... shorter distance, more daily flights, easier to drive if all else fails.

Russ

Back