Banner towing in C172

jspeed87

Hello, I recently saw a 172 towing a small letter banner in NJ. Mind you it was a cold windy day, I didn't even know banner towing existed in the winter. Any info on companies that tow in a 172 would be appreciated.

If you'd really like to tow banners get a tailwheel endorsement and get away from the nose draggers. Cubs, Pawnees, Citabrias, and L-19s are the staple of the industry.

If you'd really like to tow banners get a tailwheel endorsement and get away from the nose draggers. Cubs, Pawnees, Citabrias, and L-19s are the staple of the industry.

I understand, just wanted to see what was out there. I have about 10 hours of tailwheel time and I should be wrapping it up soon. I suppose they start hiring around Spring?

Sure, the coastal beach areas usually. The locations that are warm year round usually fly year round.

Check our Van Wagner in Hollywood, FL. They've got based airplanes in NJ. Good company, aircraft, and maintenance. I worked with them this year.

Beware that Van Wagner requires you to pay for training. ($1500)

Yes, they do. And they give you the option of paying it off with your paychecks over a period of time. Not up front.

They had to implement that to try and keep people from training and then leaving. You'll make it back quickly, and if you intend to tow the whole season it's not a big deal, at least I didn't think so! Would gladly pay the $1500 than work for some of the other banner companies.

Yes, they do. And they give you the option of paying it off with your paychecks over a period of time. Not up front.

They had to implement that to try and keep people from training and then leaving. You'll make it back quickly, and if you intend to tow the whole season it's not a big deal, at least I didn't think so! Would gladly pay the $1500 than work for some of the other banner companies.

Well at least they're (hopefully) being upfront about it. I, and 2 others, went to train there in Jan'08 and had been told there was NO training charge. Imagine our surprise when we'd all quit our jobs to launch an aviation career and we're told on day 2 of training, "oh by the way, we'll be charging $1500 for this plus the Hobbs time on the Cub to get your tail wheel endorsement." We all quit.
Bad experience but happens in life.

Well at least they're (hopefully) being upfront about it. I, and 2 others, went to train there in Jan'08 and had been told there was NO training charge. Imagine our surprise when we'd all quit our jobs to launch an aviation career and we're told on day 2 of training, "oh by the way, we'll be charging $1500 for this plus the Hobbs time on the Cub to get your tail wheel endorsement." We all quit.
Bad experience but happens in life.

Well that's another story. And unfortunate, I would've been upset also.

With me, and everyone else hired with me, they were very upfront about the training costs. This was in 2014. $1500 total, but I believe everyone hired already had a T/W endorsement. I had 50hrs T/W.

Check our Van Wagner in Hollywood, FL. They've got based airplanes in NJ. Good company, aircraft, and maintenance. I worked with them this year.

Van Wagner flies out of KOBI Woodbine I believe. I have a friend who was going to fly for them last year but ended up doing the CFI thing. So they start training in January for Florida base and then Spring for New Jersey? When would be a good time to to apply? I am finishing up my tailwheel within this or next month.

Van Wagner flies out of KOBI Woodbine I believe. I have a friend who was going to fly for them last year but ended up doing the CFI thing. So they start training in January for Florida base and then Spring for New Jersey? When would be a good time to to apply? I am finishing up my tailwheel within this or next month.

I got hired in late February, I'd say February/March is the hiring. I was all over the place, mostly CA since that's where I was living. Wouldn't hurt to apply now, or perhaps once you get that T/W finished up. I know the guys who stayed in the NJ area were pretty busy!

any idea bout what's the hourly pay with van wagner? how many hours/ month??? any monthly guarantees?? how long does the training last?

I got hired in late February, I'd say February/March is the hiring. I was all over the place, mostly CA since that's where I was living. Wouldn't hurt to apply now, or perhaps once you get that T/W finished up. I know the guys who stayed in the NJ area were pretty busy!
Hey Kyle... Luis misses you. BTW are you going to the holiday party? This is James

Last edited:
We fly all over the place. We are already training 2 new guys now. The main training season starts from Jan-March in sunny Ft Lauderdale and depending on your skill with a stick and how busy it is, you could be done in 2 weeks. If you were a local in any one of our busy areas, you'll stay busy no matter what time of the year it is. In fact, I moved from FL to Atlanta to stay near where the year round work is and they stuck me with a plane and basically said "you got it." Now it's almost like a full time job trying to cover all the games and whatnot.

any idea bout what's the hourly pay with van wagner? how many hours/ month??? any monthly guarantees?? how long does the training last?
Can't give specifics on pay, but I will tell you that it's pretty decent for banner towing, prolly the best in the business. No monthly guarantees at all but I've been averaging 50-75 hours a month depending on how busy it is. Training lasts about 2 weeks depending on how good of a stick you are with these cubs and towing a banner. I was hired on REALLY low time, just barely 250hrs but I had my A&P so that helped big time. It's not so much of an hour thing as it is personality. If you're cool, willing to work pretty hard, can be trusted on the road by yourself, and have strong integrity, you'll be a shoe in

Hello, I recently saw a 172 towing a small letter banner in NJ. Mind you it was a cold windy day, I didn't even know banner towing existed in the winter. Any info on companies that tow in a 172 would be appreciated.
There's a guy in Atlanta that tows with a 172. Really nice one too. I think it's Aerial signs

Oh yeah! Tyler told me that you went on to do that. I remember you telling me you were gonna do it. How do you like it?

Back