Help deciding on job offers from different regionals.

flyguy1025

Hello from a newly licensed dispatcher. This forum's dispatch hiring spreadsheet helped me land a few interviews, and I've received offers now from 3 companies: Republic Airways, Ravn Alaska, and Wheels Up. I'd appreciate some pointers on how to choose which might be the best fit for me.

My main goal is to get to a major as quickly as possible, preferably Delta. I currently live near Atlanta, so staying home with Wheels Up is appealing, but I am concerned about their recent financial troubles (which I understand is really always a risk with regionals). They are also offering the highest pay of the three. Republic is offering the lowest pay, but is in the lowest cost of living area and seem like a good pathway to get into a major since they work with Delta, United, and AA. At Ravn, I would be dispatching for B757s with ETOPS, so that seems like something that would be great on a resume to move up with.

Are there any other considerations I'm missing so far? Or any inside info on these companies that might help me decide?

Thanks!

If you want to stay closer to home, I'd say Republic. If you're adventurous and want to live in Alaska for a while, Ravn. Both would be good experience. I've never heard of Wheels Up so I can't give much of an opinion there.

If you want to stay closer to home, I'd say Republic. If you're adventurous and want to live in Alaska for a while, Ravn. Both would be good experience. I've never heard of Wheels Up so I can't give much of an opinion there.

Wheels Up is the company that bought Delta Private Jets. They are primarily part 135 I believe.

I wouldn’t go wheels up, heard they are not doing so good.

I think ravn pays a decent amount and I think they got turbo props and B757. Want to be adventurous go up north. (May be more attractive on your resume)

Republic might be closer to home
Great non rev benefits, I do here they do treat you like a number (I heard one dispatcher had 80 flights in a shift, which is ridiculous amount )

If you want to go to a major I would say ravn or republic since its 121

I'm shocked Wheels Up is even hiring. They're incredibly unprofitable, have a nonsensical business model, and there's recurring rumors of impending bankruptcy. There are only two reasons they would be hiring right now - massive turnover, or braindead management - and neither bode well. I would not touch them with a ten-foot pole.

The cost of living in Indy is decent. Republic now starts at $22/hr. They have flight benefits with all 3 majors: American, Delta, and United. No junior manning since staffing levels are better. After 10 months of employment, they offer employees half-off Lift Academy tuition (in case you're also interested in being a pilot). I might be biased, but I say YX, Brickyard (Republic).

I’d say Republic. They likely have a really good training department. Most of the people I work with now that came from there are really solid dispatchers. Can’t speak for the other majors but the one I’m at loves hiring from there

Republic. Things may get real competitive again here soon, and 121 looks better than 135 unfortunately. Ravn sounds appealing, but even then you’re better off with Republic imo.

If your goal is to get to a major as quickly as possible, I would go to Republic. If you don't mind taking your time at where you go, like the outdoors, want to be adventure, and don't mind cold and snow, I would go with Ravn. If you are young, it could be fun to go up to Alaska for the experience of living up there before you have too many responsibilities. And with the way regionals hire, there will always be one back down here in the lower 48 that will be hiring.

I'm shocked Wheels Up is even hiring. They're incredibly unprofitable, have a nonsensical business model, and there's recurring rumors of impending bankruptcy. There are only two reasons they would be hiring right now - massive turnover, or braindead management - and neither bode well. I would not touch them with a ten-foot pole.
They are hiring because they are moving their OCC from CVG to their new one in ATL. I think they have multiple brands all merging with the move to ATL.

If you want DL don’t take any of them and go to the ramp with DL in ATL. DL highly prefers internals without experience to externals.

If you want DL don’t take any of them and go to the ramp with DL in ATL. DL highly prefers internals without experience to externals.
Generally speaking, a good option for any major would be to dispatch full time at an affiliated regional and also work the ramp part time at the desired airline. This gets experience dispatching and also sets you up to be an internal candidate all at the same time.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, a good option for any major would be to dispatch full time at an affiliated regional and also work the ramp part time at the desired airline. This gets experience dispatching and also sets you up to be an internal candidate all at the same time.
I know a ton of candidates from both SW and Delta got hired this way

I wouldn’t go wheels up, heard they are not doing so good.

I think ravn pays a decent amount and I think they got turbo props and B757. Want to be adventurous go up north. (May be more attractive on your resume)

Republic might be closer to home
Great non rev benefits, I do here they do treat you like a number (I heard one dispatcher had 80 flights in a shift, which is ridiculous amount )

If you want to go to a major I would say ravn or republic since its 121
80 flights??!? Hopefully they passed the pain around or at least didn’t let flight following fall by the wayside to churn out a forest worth of releases.

RAVN would be hard NO for me. Where do I begin.....?
Republic is the only way to go based on your situation. And Its a good one. I know both WN and AA just scooped up a bunch of Republic boys and girls. Get in, do your time, move up. And dont look back.

RAVN would be hard NO for me. Where do I begin.....?
Republic is the only way to go based on your situation. And Its a good one. I know both WN and AA just scooped up a bunch of Republic boys and girls. Get in, do your time, move up. And dont look back.
Why is ravn a hard no? Curious because I applied lol

Why is ravn a hard no? Curious because I applied lol
Cause you're exiting the CONUS and living somewhere where it's fairly secluded. Way up north so it's got its reputation for having arctic weather. Anchorage ain't cheap either from what I'm hearing
I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain they offer no relocation assistance so moving there sounds costly

Some people like that sort of thing and more power to you but for a vast majority of dispatchers, they want to live in the CONUS. There are dispatchers that refuse to move out of their state let alone to Alaska

Haven't heard of RAVN having a bad reputation as an airline

Ahh I see, I guess that makes sense. I'm willing to move anywhere, so not as big of a deal to me.

Back