ATP questions.... PPL then Careeer....

meyers9163

So I am thinking about ATP in Janurary of 2007. I would do the PPL and then Career Course. However I was wondering what are something I should do prior to going to ATP to start the program? I was under the impression one should complete the written PPL exam before going down for training? Also I saw there were prerequisites

Ability to Fly a PC-Based Flight Simulator
2 Hours of Flight Instruction in Any Aircraft Within the Last 6 Months
FAA First Class Medical Certificate
2 Years of College or Equivalent Work Experience
These prerequisites must be met prior to the class start date, if not prior to scheduling.

Other then these are there any other things that should be taken care of? Also if i do not do this or cannot does that mean you cannot do the PPL program? I look foward to possibly joining ATP and doing my training but i just want to make sure i get a full grasp of the program and what is not included and what things people would do if they were to re do their training with ATP. Thank you for all your help!

If you have the time and money now you could go ahead and get your private at a local flight school or FBO. After you had 85TT and 25 cross-country you could start the career program. If you do want to wait and do the private with ATP, I would try and get the written out of the way first. You can get that intro flight at just about any FBO. I'm doing the 90 day career program now and so far so good. Good luck.

I would recommend getting your Private at a local FBO, and if you still need extra time to get to 85hrs, you can do that at ATP in the C172.

I couldn't agree with GAPILOT and UNDflyer more. If you have a year ahead of you before committing fully to flight training, go for your private, take your time, enjoy it and log cross-country time alone after earning your ticket. It'll be invaluable experience and you won't feel rushed to get the basics of flying down. Plus, flying alone will teach you many valuable lessons. Once you have or exceed the minimum entry requirements to ATP's career program, by all means sign up for it.
Also, since you know you want to fly for a living, keep that in mind while training for your PPL, push yourself and try to perform the maneuvers within commercial standards. It's never too early to start! During my instrument training, I told the CFII at my local FBO that I was planning on making a living from flying. From that day on, he had me do everything to commercial standards (including small things like tapping the brakes after take-off to minimize the nose-gear vibration) and it was a great experience.
Also, and pardon me if I've missed this in your original post, get or finish a degree before you start because some airlines will require that. You can feasibly get a flying job without one but at some point in your career you'll stumble upon a position that requires a degree. And as many have advised before, study something non aviation-related as it may come in very handy if the industry goes through another slump.
Most importantly have fun with your training!

I can't agree with these other posts more. The BEST thing to do is to get your PPL on your own. You'll get to have more fun on your own and maybe build that cross-country time to places around your home area and with friends who might even chip in part of the cost of rental. Since I see you're in Indiana, I suggest the Lake Erie Islands for a good place to have a lunch. Fly to Sporty's at Clermont Co. airport in Batavia, OH East of Cincinatti. I hear there's a strip club right on some airport in MI... if you're into that sorta thing too. Fly over the Indianapolis Speedway and take pictures for friends (just make sure there's not a race going on, the Government doesn't smile on that).

Have some fun with your flying before you get into the hard work of it. That way, when you start feeling a little burned out, you can recall these memories and remember how fun flying can be. It'll always be fun, but there are times when you forget that if you get overworked.

Also, hang around the airport on weekends if you can. The airport bums will get to know you and might offer to take you for a ride a couple of times. Once you get your PPL, offer to pay for half the gas for a quick lunch trip and you can get different experiences in other types other than what you trained in.

:yeahthat:

Excellent words of advice from the above posts. Make sure you really dig it before comitting fully and have a blast along the way!!

also, if you have time and want to ear a little money and get a discount on your flying, you could get a job around the FBO/flight school, and start building connections, especially if there are corporate aircraft available or some sort of charter operation. A great way to see what the industry is really about and to understand it is to see it from as many angles as possible.

I hate to be.. cliche' and say... "I agree with the above.." buttt....

cliche' is in these days.. So.. I agree with those guys..

Thanks for the replies. Things sound great. I did call ATP today but since I cannot start until Jan 2007 due to school they will make me wait until August to start the 4 month self paced training contracted through an FBO in my area. Which sounds good because I can get that taken care of and my written PPL done before I start the Career course. However now I am starting to worry a lilttle about the finacning issues. I know my credit score is decent (710 when i pulled it) but I am a student and I know my parents are not the best in the past. However with my mom getting a new job and working I think I might get approval with her. Does anyone have a situation where they were unsure if they would get the approval for a loan or any advice on if my moms does not go through what I might do? I know you only get 2 tries to get approval then I assume by their web site you will not do your training with them. So I am a little worried about that. I really think things sounds great and look foward to getting my PPL done but now I am worried about financing.... ANy advice?

Back